Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

3.8

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

FUN product!! I got this from a rec off a FB page, she was doing her "looks" w this & I loved how she did her makeup. Of course YMMV, but I loveeeee this palette!! I just detest ordering things online. I like to buy in person, but that was impossible, so I broke down & ordered this & was NOT DISAPPOINTED!! This has a lot of crazy colors I never thought I would use, would never have purchased on their own & all at the same time LUV!! I found out that it comes in pretty handy in trying to replicate looks I find online & that experimenting w/ the unorthodox crazy colors can be pretty fun! Lotsa colors there, I don't get what the difference is between Coastal Scents & BH, seems like they have a lot of duplicate similar items. I adore this crazy palette, I had forgotten I even had it for a time, I feel like all these colors will last a lifetime, but I have the BH Neutral 88 palette & get a lot of good use out of both. The quality is great, ESP over a base like NYX White. I love the whole creative process that goes along w makeup. Your toned, moisturized face in the AM is your blank canvas!! I did not know I could pull off red or yellow e/s.... Same w greens & teals. I have so many brown, beige, white, & champagne duplicates so this palette is just a ton of fun & I think I paid approx US$15 for it last summer, maybe less, I don't recall but it would take a ton of $$$ to try to collect all of these shadows by themselves, so this is an excellent bargain. I would rec this palette to anybody whom wants a good quality, versatile, affordable, big palette they can experiment w or build their collection or for a young lady whom doesn't have a big collection just starting out w makeup, although many of these shades would be too bright for a pre-teen/teenaged girl. Good for a broke student or somebody whom likes good quality DS makeup. Would be a great gift as it is got a lot of novelty to it. No, it's not MAC or UD, but it is a very nice palette nonetheless & you will probably reach for it more often than you think, esp if you like to duplicate looks you see online then something like this is essential.

on 3/16/2014 10:30:00 AM

I love this product... I did a review on it. http://k-beautycode.blogspot.com/2014/03/review-coastal-scents-88-ultrashimmer.html

on 1/25/2014 11:52:00 PM

Right out the gate let me explain why I love this palette, but wouldn't buy it again. As with most palettes there are shades you love and hit pan on pretty quickly, shades you don't love as much but still use, and shades you used once and hated or know you'll never use. Because of that you can go to the Coastal Scents website and buy their Hot Pots. They are larger, slightly better quality, single pan versions of the shadows in their large palettes. You can put them in a magnetized palette, or buy a palette compact through CS. They have a color selector tool that shows all of the colors in their palettes. You find the one you love, click on it, and it takes you to the ordering page for the closest match Hot Pot. So that is why I wouldn't go to the trouble of ordering another 88 Ultra Shimmer palette when I can order the individual shades I love in a larger size. Anyway, onto the review!

*PROS*
~It's affordable. This is for anyone who wants to experiment with color, but can't afford or doesn't want to drop the money on something like the Urban Decay Motherlode or a huge array of MAC single shadows.
~These are shimmery, but I wouldn't call them ultra shimmery. They're definitely not giltter bombs, which pleased me.
~The pigmentation is amazing, but you'll definitely want to use a shadow primer.
~There is a nice range of colors.
~I haven't had any trouble with fallout. Maybe I lucked out.
~These do last quite a decent amount of time and I never had trouble with creasing.
~The packaging is very slim line, so these palettes store nicely in a drawer.

*CONS*
~Some of the colors are very similar, especially the more neutral shades. When applied they don't look very different, which decreases the diversity value of this palette.
~The pans are tiny. I don't know why I didn't realize this when I saw videos on YouTube and women were pointing at the colors and the pans were the same size as the tip of their finger.
~The packaging is very awkward. You have to hold the palette away from you to pop it open and then the lid flies open and the whole thing gets a little unwieldy.
~Some of the shades are hard to apply. Not all of them, but some have that same waxy, yet chalky, consistency I described in my review of the Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips. You can dip your finger in the pan and get color, but you really have to dig a brush in there to load it for application.

on 12/14/2013 9:06:00 AM

I adored this palette for two reasons: Variety & Cost. It was always there in a pinch to matchup some outfit or a last min costume.

But you get what you pay for, a lot of the little pots keep popping out only to be lost. The makeup breaks very easily too.

Good luck committing to a color, or giving a tutorial with any clarity, the colors are nameless and you cannot purchase them seperatly. I fell in love with the lime green shimmery color only to run out of it after a few weeks of application. Also the palette wouldn't fit into any of my makeup bags and isn't portable by any means seeing it doesn't stay shut.

Le sigh.

on 5/1/2012 7:59:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I fell in love with this palette before I ever even got it in the mail. I like the idea of all colors being in one handy palette. Also, the reviews that I've read have been pretty stellar on the Ultra Shimmer Palette.
When I received it in the mail today, I was super excited to swatch the beautiful colors inside. The first thing I noticed was how akward it was to open the palette without dropping it. I guess a palette of that size seemed like a good idea until I tried to figure out just where I would store it.
On to the colors...they are in fact VERY pigmented and everything I'd hoped they would be in terms of brightness. The biggest downside? The particles are too big and require a lot of force to blend. All this blending leaves a powdery & shimmery mess on my face. Also, I will have to use a good primer on my lids because it doesn't last that long at all. I will use this palette. It's the principal of it at this point. However, I will now do my eye make up first (complete with industrial strength primer), and then apply my foundation, ect.. The color payoff is somewhat worth the pain in the rump that my new makeup routine will be. Hopefully...

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this because of the reviews on youtube. I was originally planning to get the 88 original palette but they were out of stock, so I settled for this Ultra Shimmer 88 palette instead.

PROS:
- price is great with that many colors in a palette
- I like the compact, very slim and easy to store
- lots of colors & very pigmented

CONS:
- too shimmery for everyday use
- I need an eye primer for this to last all day
- the e/s pan for each color is too small...about the size of a dime

Overall, I'm not a fan of shimmers (that's just me) so I only use this for party, going out late nights, and even halloween makeup. But for everyday use, I skip using this. I don't reach for this palette anymore that I have to give it away to a friend.

on 7/27/2011 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got this palette in a swap and I was kind of nervous because of some of the negative reviews people were saying about it not being good quality, but I beg to differ. This is my new fav. The colors blend nicely. They have good pigmentation. If you tap off your brush first you wont have a problem with fall out, least I dont. I really think this is a good buy and would defiently recommend it.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I really like this palette, and compared to the original matte 88 palette from CS, this one is much better in pigment and overall texture. Granted I don't use all of the colors, but the really bright ones are fun to play around with when you want to rock a bright, colorful look. The colors I find myself using the most are the cream/vanilla/white colors, the darker browns/cafe and black, and the silver toned ones (which are my FAVORITES). All of the colors have excellent pigment and apply very smoothly. There is a bit of fallout, but it is to be expected with most eyeshadows. The white/silver colors seem to have an almost creamy texture which works great under eyeshadows. The silver brightens up my eyes and I wear this one frequently on its own (with a base underneath {Mac's paint pot in Painterly}) with some winged eyeliner and a cherry red lip. When I run out I will definitely repurchase this palette. I regret purchasing the original 88 matte palette which I hardly ever use because of its' chalky texture and poor pigmentation overall. I recommend anyone trying this if they are interested in creating fun, colorful looks and love eyeshadows. It makes a great addition to any eyeshadow collection, although I would recommend those that enjoy a more neutral look that still has shimmer to try the Metallic Palette from Coastal Scents. It looks truly beautiful on the site, and I cannot wait to try that one out. I have heard nothing but good things about that one as well. It's the next on my list.

I think I will buy this product again, but I am not sure as I have had mine for about a year and have only hit pan on two colours. These colours are my go-to colours that I use day-to-day.
Absolutely amazing product.
I researched A LOT on this before I bought it, and couldn't find a bad word about it anywhere!
Love the colours, yes they are shimmery, but you can still have a natural look with them which I love.
I use it daily, and it comes with me whenever I travel too.
There are a few colours that don't go on as well as others, and some colours I don't think I will ever use, but mostly, they are well pigmented, and go on great.
The packaging is a little cheap. When I first got mine, two of the pans kept coming out, so I had to glue them in again. The two sponge applicators are pointless, and I have never used them. The mirror is handy, but never stays clean due to it sitting on top of the eyeshadows all the time.
I like that it's small (considering it has 88 different shadows in it).

on 12/27/2010 9:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I just can't good a good colour pay off : (

I do like the many different colours it's great for the days when you feel fancy and don't want to buy all these other colours. The case is okay but mine fell and the lid broke off and the mirror popped out. Not going to complain much because of pricing but I would have liked to be able to get more than drop out of it before it broke.

Over all I'm sad to say I will not buy this again.