Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

on 2/27/2012 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

this product is so over rated i hate it ...

on 10/20/2009 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I like this product, but I don't use it often. I have just fallen in love with matte colors, and shimmer just isn't doing it for me anymore. Not that I don't use this at all, it's just not something I reach for.

If you do like shimmer, however, this wouldn't disappoint you. This is a nice palette with a great range of color.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This palette is great because I don't like to use a lot of colour and its great to have just in case I feel like doing something crazy. Its a great value for the money but I think if I had my time back I would have gotten the matte palette instead of the shimmer. Its almost a little too shimmery for my liking and I wear a lot of mattes. However, if you like shimmery eyeshadows....this pallet would be great for you! There is so many options and colour combinations! The pans are only the size of a dime but they last a really long time!

The biggest downfall for me was the quality. They are really pigmented but there is A LOT of fall out (even when I pat it on my eyelid). I didn't realize this until I started using high end eyeshadows that has little to no fall out. I used a gold from this for a look I was doing and I had to redo my concealer there was so much fall out.

This is great for beginners, or for people who wear a lot of neutrals but like to have some colour options in your collection. I said no to repurchase because I don't think I will ever get through this palette and the shimmer is to much for my age. I may use it on clients but I'm starting to increase my high end eyeshadow collection and I am liking the quality of those a lot more.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

For the price, is definitely cheap. I love how pigmented these are, and the colors are very vibrant. The staying power sucks when worn alone, but I use my UDPP with this and it stays on all day just like any eye shadow when worn with this base. It doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes either, and the color combination are endless. Love it!

on 7/16/2010 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

PROS
- super cheap, especially on ebay
- just about every colour you would ever need
- makes following youtube tutorials easy because the right color is always there
- the colors are really pretty
- you'll save money by not purchasing expensive bold colors you'll rarely wear
- my palette came from china in perfect condition with no broken shadows
- colors are really well pigmented
- this kills lemmings. I just deliberately duped an urban decay ammo look with this palette and now have no desire to purchase it. aces.
- using this palette will teach you the ropes on how to use multiple colors to achieve a gradient look

CONS
- colors are not amazingly pigmented like nyx quality or wnw quality or mac quality but the pigmentation is better than annabelle and on par with almay
- eyeshadows have a funky smell and they're from a no-name brand from china, where there's poor regulation
- you'll need some matte crease shades or at least a matte highlighter to use with this palette; a full eye with this palette alone will be teenager-shimmery

WORTH PURCHASING?
Yes. This is one of those makeup staples that every girl who is into makeup should have.

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

The color payoff is a bit hit and miss with this one (granted, I haven't used all 88 on the eyes, yet, but just from swatching). However, for someone who very rarely wears super bright colors like me, it's a nice way to have, say, a lime green or sunny yellow on hand for some rare occasion without wasting a regularly sized shadow (or money). The packaging looks pretty durable, but in use, it's a little deceiving. It's not the worst, but it won't hold up to too much wear and tear, so be careful when traveling with it. I'm sure I'll never need to repurchase, but I would recommend it. It's a nice set for a makeup beginner or to go outside of your comfort zone with color without spending too much money in the process.

on 7/30/2009 9:41:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

While this palette is definitely good to have when you just started experimenting bright colors, the quality is not the best in my opinion. Still, for the price, I would say it is definitely worth having. When I first got this, I used to use it a ton because this was like the only brights palette I had but as I collected more fun colors from high end brands, I do not reach for this palette anymore. But I will definitely keep this because it has that really crazy red and hot pinks and blues that I just don't wanna pay a lot of money for, but want to have in my kit just in case.

on 7/2/2009 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I don't really use much of my 120 palette, so I was really hesitant to try this. I love shimmer, but alot of the colors in the 120 palette look AMAZING in the pans, but they are like glittery and have horrible color pay off and flake everywhere. Because these are so cheap, if only a few colors work out for me, it's still worth it since I hate wearing the same eyeshadow daily (even weekly) so I'd rather have a bunch of different colors, even if they are small (I believe these are smaller than the 120 palette).

To be fair for those who don't like this palette, I haven't worn them yet, I've just done a ton of swatches over NYX Jumbo pencil in Milk with the included sponge top applicators but I think the color pay off is amazing! They have the perfect amount of shimmer in my opinion, the ones I swiped weren't glittery and flaky and none of them seem chalky. CS packaged it well, none of my shadows were damaged. CS also lowered their palette prices (right after I placed my order, go figure!) so it is now $19.95 vs. $24.95. I really don't wear alot of matte, but I'm considering getting the other palette because they are so cheap and it might be fun to mix textures! I don't think you have anything to lose getting this palette!

I'm only going to give this 4 lippies because of the packaging, no my eyeshadows haven't fallen out yet but I think that's pretty unexceptable and I think people would actually pay $30 for this palette if it meant shadows not popping out. It would be a shame to have a favorite shadow in here shattered. I also hate how they say Coastal Scents really big on the front now (vs. just a plain black palette). Lastly, I feel that it is lacking a good orange color and I've been looking for a good dark teal color which isn't in here either.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

FUN product!! I got this from a rec off a FB page, she was doing her "looks" w this & I loved how she did her makeup. Of course YMMV, but I loveeeee this palette!! I just detest ordering things online. I like to buy in person, but that was impossible, so I broke down & ordered this & was NOT DISAPPOINTED!! This has a lot of crazy colors I never thought I would use, would never have purchased on their own & all at the same time LUV!! I found out that it comes in pretty handy in trying to replicate looks I find online & that experimenting w/ the unorthodox crazy colors can be pretty fun! Lotsa colors there, I don't get what the difference is between Coastal Scents & BH, seems like they have a lot of duplicate similar items. I adore this crazy palette, I had forgotten I even had it for a time, I feel like all these colors will last a lifetime, but I have the BH Neutral 88 palette & get a lot of good use out of both. The quality is great, ESP over a base like NYX White. I love the whole creative process that goes along w makeup. Your toned, moisturized face in the AM is your blank canvas!! I did not know I could pull off red or yellow e/s.... Same w greens & teals. I have so many brown, beige, white, & champagne duplicates so this palette is just a ton of fun & I think I paid approx US$15 for it last summer, maybe less, I don't recall but it would take a ton of $$$ to try to collect all of these shadows by themselves, so this is an excellent bargain. I would rec this palette to anybody whom wants a good quality, versatile, affordable, big palette they can experiment w or build their collection or for a young lady whom doesn't have a big collection just starting out w makeup, although many of these shades would be too bright for a pre-teen/teenaged girl. Good for a broke student or somebody whom likes good quality DS makeup. Would be a great gift as it is got a lot of novelty to it. No, it's not MAC or UD, but it is a very nice palette nonetheless & you will probably reach for it more often than you think, esp if you like to duplicate looks you see online then something like this is essential.

on 7/1/2010 8:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

this is 25cents per eyeshadow. coastal scents was having a sale. Its amazing that this is quite pigmented. I was not expecting quality but this a organized way to have all colors in one palette. I am having an indian style wedding, so I will keep this in my bridal room so my bridesmaids can use this to create their dramatic looks. The browns are exquisite as well, perfect for everyday, or creating a kim kardasian smokey eye look. I probably wont buy again maybe for someone else, but I guess I am set for next 10 years with this palette. EDIT: I disagree with Babystole's....review above. This may not work for lighter girls, but I have NC40 skintone, and these shades are perfect color saturation. I have bought many many palettes that just didnt show up on my skintone and ran chalky. This palette has the perfect intensity to show up on medium/tan skin. Most colors look very pretty on me, and I get alot of compliments on it. I reserve the brighter colors for night time, and I get just as many oohhs..and ahhs..from girls AND guys.