Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

3.8

on 1/5/2010 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I love the fact that you get to try lots of different colors , most of the colors I wont wear thou, and why there has to be 10 different shades of yellow and orange is a bit odd.
The colors are very frosty! and very chalky, tons of fallout. Very low quality like something you would find in a dollar store. Will definitely not repurchase.

on 12/27/2010 9:10:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I just can't good a good colour pay off : (

I do like the many different colours it's great for the days when you feel fancy and don't want to buy all these other colours. The case is okay but mine fell and the lid broke off and the mirror popped out. Not going to complain much because of pricing but I would have liked to be able to get more than drop out of it before it broke.

Over all I'm sad to say I will not buy this again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Liek the rest of the reviewers I was so excited to receive this product. I was also, however, immensely disappointed once I finally recieved it.

Pros:
-Gorgeous colours
-Amazing range (like, 5-6 different purples - though, sometimes hard to tell apart!)
-Pretty Shimmer, though some are less "glittery" than others, which is kind of nice
-They really take pains to package it up well - came in big box with lots of paper and bubble wrap

Cons:
-tiny shadows, smaller than dime size (affects application a bit)
-The darkest colours don't have much pigment - need to keep reapplying
-They don't go on smoothly; hurts my eyes to keep blending!! Especially some of the more pigmented colours go on a bit blotchy.
-TONS of fallout - be prepared to completely clean your face once you've applied the shadows; you can't have any other makeup on prior.
-They stain. They stain whatever surface they hit. If I have fallout and I rub it away, forget it. Some of the darker colours also stain my brushes. I couldn't get the turqouise off after washing several times.

Ultimately: a fun addiction to your eye shadow collection if you want to play around with some different looks. But if it's your only eyeshadows ... well, you're not going to have the best quality and you are going to have to fuss with them quite a bit.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

When I ordered this product, I was very excited for it. There is every color under the sun and it is so beautiful to look at. The packaging is flimsy though, so one the eyeshadows was broken, and soon one of them dropped out and got destroyed( not that I was partial to that color). But the more I used them, the more I realized that the quality was rather poor. The colors were very dusty and kind of chalky, and it was hard to get good color pay off, especially on my dark lids. And if I rubbed them, the color would completely fade and the shimmer would be left. To be honest, I practically never reach for this palette because alot lf the colors just aren't good quality. That being said, it is great as a beginner palette because it gives you to the chance to experiment with colors and is good as a backup palette for when you need a color but don't have it any other palette, and it's a good deal overall. But don't expect great quality from the colors

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this because of the reviews on youtube. I was originally planning to get the 88 original palette but they were out of stock, so I settled for this Ultra Shimmer 88 palette instead.

PROS:
- price is great with that many colors in a palette
- I like the compact, very slim and easy to store
- lots of colors & very pigmented

CONS:
- too shimmery for everyday use
- I need an eye primer for this to last all day
- the e/s pan for each color is too small...about the size of a dime

Overall, I'm not a fan of shimmers (that's just me) so I only use this for party, going out late nights, and even halloween makeup. But for everyday use, I skip using this. I don't reach for this palette anymore that I have to give it away to a friend.

I didn't buy this, my friend gave it to me for a early birthday gift, *like 6 months in advanced* XD

I like the range of colours it gives, everything from pale to dark colours.
Even though the size of the eyeshadow is small, you still get a lot of colour.

However, I discovered that a lot of the lighter and pale colours have a chalky texture to them, and not much pigment. Which is a bit disappointing, but for highlights, they're ok. Only some of the colours out of each section (blues,reds, greens) showed up on a dark base. I used MAC Paint Pot in Blackground, and was a bit disappointed that only a few colours in the darker side of the palatte showed up. The reds didn't which I was sad about.

A neutral base is probably better for all colours to make them more vibrant though.
I like this palette though, the greens, blues, purples and reds are my favs out of it.
A few of the eyeshadows have fallen out of the packaging, not too happy about, but it's still good for that price.

Would buy from the site, only if they updated their website. I'd like to see a more professional site.

Overall, a good product if you want a large amount of colours for a cheap price.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

this eyeshadows are pigmented but you have to wear a base bc they tend to fade quickly. i have had my palette for about 3-4 months and i have probably used it once. it is very sparkly and glittery. and very cheaply made. one of the shadows had fallen out when i recieved it. this palette would be great for a teen starting makeup or someone who is just starting with makeup bc it is affordable and you get lots of colors.

on 11/24/2010 8:24:00 PM

Firstly, I think that this is a great deal. So:

CONS:
- there are some eyeshadows that are very similar
- there are a few that apply pretty badly,
(but I feel like for the price, and for the amount of colours that you get, it's well worth it)
- this is NOT a con for this set so far, but one of the matte shadows from the regular 88 colour palette stained by lid.. and the stain lasted about a day ( and the worst part was that the colour that stained was a pink.. pink stain around my eyes.. fantastic haha I looked diseased). So I thought it's worth mentioning, maybe these might stain? I haven't had that happen yet though.

PROS:
- lots of shades to choose from
- most are pretty bright and they provide lots of shimmer
- most apply well, little fallout
- can be applied wet ( it doesn't say so on their website, but I did it and I thought it looked nice, intensifies the colour)

Overall, I think it's great. Lots of colours to play with, and even though some look similar, for the price, it's a very good deal. The packaging is a little flimsy, but you just have to be careful with it and it's fine.. it's way too big to take with you daily anyway, so when they're sitting on my dresser at home, no problems.

Mine were shipped all the way to Canada, and they did not break at all.

Hope this helps!
I've also posted pics of two looks I did with the set.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Great product to buy if you're a beginner with make up and like to experiment with different colors. It's a great way to get a lot of colors at a cheap price. They aren't quite MAC quality, but they're still good in my opinion. As long as you use an eyeshadow base they will stay put all day. I got both this one and the 88 matte palette and I use both of them all the time. I especially love the fact that I can experiment with new looks using vibrant colors without breaking the bank. You get about a dime sized amount of each color which in my opinion is good because you're not going to use the very bright, pigmented colors that much anyway. Definitely recommend this.

on 1/5/2010 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

Very pretty range of pigmented colors. I have a lot of fun creating different looks. The eyeshadows are small but you still can get a lot of usage out of them.

The consistency of some of the colors is very chalky and hard to blend. The packaging is cheap and the shadows pop out but thats not a major problem, they can be crazy glued back in.

I like this palette a lot and would buy it again.