Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

on 5/7/2013 12:57:00 PM

Very disappointed.

The actual purchasing/shipping process went smoothly, and I got the palette within 3 days. The palette was in fine condition when I opened it, nothing broken.

The shadows are much smaller than I had anticipated, but that wasn't a big problem because I figured, "Well, there's so man of them, I certainly won't hit pan on these for a long time"

Tried to apply them. I have fair skin, and even the darkest colors were sheer on my skin. I packed the shadows on until I said, "Eh... I guess I can see them now?" I tried to blend them and hooooly moley, that was like nailing jello to a tree. They did not blend. At all. It was a painful process, and eventually I gave up and said, "Alright, I guess that looks good enough..."

I blinked a few times, and the shadow was completely gone. Just a colorless wash of shimmer left on my eyes.

They are chalky, not nearly as pigmented as people make them out to be, they don't blend, and they look awful.

Do not buy this product. Not even as a beginner. Not ever. No.

on 3/23/2009 10:02:00 PM

Sorry to be the dissent here, but I hated this palette. I got the one with the matte case. These are supposed to be the same as the ones with the shiny cases. Mine arrived with several of the shadows loose from the cheap glue they use. The shadows were chalky, impossible to blend, and fall out city. To be fair, I think these may be made to be applied wet, and I applied mine dry with brushes.

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I think I got a bad one or something. It smells funky, it's hard to blend, and the eyeshadow pans keep falling out of the palette. Really disappointing considering that it was a good price for so many colors.

on 2/17/2010 12:53:00 AM

I've had this palette for quite a while now. And I've only used it a few times.
Although the colors are creamier and more pigmented than the ones in the matte palette the frostiness keeps me from using this too often (or ever!). I'm only 22, I have no problem wearing shimmer shadows. They're actually flattering. But *this* is too much!
I especially dislike the lighter colors. They all look like white shimmer with just a hint of color that doesn't show up at all in pictures. It's just a shimmery mess.
I'd say this is a good palette to give to a 15yr old girl just getting into makeup. I'm very disappointed.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

My first reaction to this product is "No no no! Don't do it!" THe shadows are chalky and useless. But then i decided to try one of them wet. And now I would have to say these shadows are alright. Still not super great, nothing to rave about, but they work if you wet your brush first! I have only tried one color so far.. and I will update as soon as I have tried out more of the colors!

UPDATE!: Ended up getting rid of it. LOL Guess that shows how i feel about this palette. I do not recommend even trying this. Just go try some other palette, even if it costs a little more it will be worth it.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I will admit that it is really handy to have so many colors to choose from in one pallette. But the quality of the eyesshadow is so poor! And i know that people are thinking that you get the quality according to price, but come on. The shimmer is way to shimmery with large pieces of glitter instead of a sheen. There's so much fallout that settles in the fines lines under the eyes and the sahdow is chunky and doesn't go smoothly on the eyelid at all. Instead of just swiping the brush a couple of times, I have to spend time blending the base color on the lid. Loving the color range. Hating the quality. The darker colors are a little better than the lighter ones.

on 10/1/2009 9:00:00 PM

I purchased the original 88 palette which has a variety of finishes - matte, satin, & shimmer, and this ultra shimmer palette. The shimmer is just too much for me (chunky with lots of fallout) and makes my eyelids look super crepey and weird. Perhaps it's because I'm getting older, but I much prefer the original 88 palette and would like to exchange this one for the 88 warm palette. I wonder what their policy is? I'll have to check it out.

i had heard all this hype about the shimmer palette, and was so excited for it to arrive, but was extremely dissapointed, but for the price, i guess i couldnt expect much. The color range was beatiful and i was impressed with that but as i went to use more and more of the colors, i realized that they were extremely different with pigmentation, and they varied in texture as well....i may be the only one, but i definitely dont reach for this much..

on 5/1/2009 9:10:00 PM

i have to say that this palette was very disappointing to me, even after all the hype i expected alot more. i found that the shadows would crumble while trying to apply them and did not stay on all day even with a good base. i prefer shimmer over matte BUT these shadows were so frosty they made my eyes look greasy. i liked using this when i first got it then after a month i realized it just didnt look good on me at all. Maybe i will purchase the matte one but the ultra shimmer gets a thumbs down from me!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

UPDATE ON 12/17/09:Ok I have an updated opinion on this product. At first I thought this product was a bit sucky,but workable. Now I just find it to be plain shitty. Let me start off by saying that I am in no way a label snob nor do I have anything against costal scents at all. I do agree that finding a palette with 88 colors for $35 is a deal,but honestly when I really look at the bigger picture it just is not worth it. To start off with,most ppl recommend this palette for beginners,but I honestly feel that this palette would be something I would use if I were into theater makeup or if I gave this to my daughter to play with(at home of course) and make up her little face,but other than that this palette is not something I feel is suitable for anyone,esp beginners. The colors are hard to blend (even with my udpp,jumbo nyx pencil or my paint pot)because they have a chalky/soft texture,the fallout of the eyeshadow is ridiculous and very dusty( I know eye shadows with glitter have this,but this is beyond a bit of fall-out), the shadows make my eyes look crepey(as another user put it) along with the glitter being very chunky and the packaging is horrible(3 of my eyeshadow pans have fallen out and I DO NOT handle my palette rough). Everyone is a sucker for the prices(which I was too),but honestly sometimes quality is better than quantity. I didn't expect MAC expectations,but I certainly expected to be on the same level as drug store eyeshadows at least. If I were to recommend any cheaper,nice quality type eyeshadows to a beginner, NYX would definitely be at the top(not the trios but the single shadows). I would honestly say to anyone who wants to buy this,maybe it would work for you,but i definitely didn't for me.