Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Filtered by skin type : Normal
Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.4

This is a hell lot of colours! They look much better when applied wet and a little dip of the brush picks up a lot of shadow. Its rather easy to blend and apply which is good for me cuz i'm a rookie at eye makeup. Yes i will repurchase this after a long time... there are just so many colours! EDIT: i swatched the pinks and reds on the back of my hand and despite using an oil based Fancl makeup remover these colours did not wash off completely. A tinge of colour remained on my skin and i practically had to scrub it off. If its so hard to remove these colours can pretty much stain your eyelids. Its now a NO for me. Sorry coastal scents! Ps: its made in china.

on 12/14/2013 9:06:00 AM

I adored this palette for two reasons: Variety & Cost. It was always there in a pinch to matchup some outfit or a last min costume.

But you get what you pay for, a lot of the little pots keep popping out only to be lost. The makeup breaks very easily too.

Good luck committing to a color, or giving a tutorial with any clarity, the colors are nameless and you cannot purchase them seperatly. I fell in love with the lime green shimmery color only to run out of it after a few weeks of application. Also the palette wouldn't fit into any of my makeup bags and isn't portable by any means seeing it doesn't stay shut.

Le sigh.

When I first got mine I was shocked by the pigmentation, well some of them I suppose. I didn't find myself using this palette often because the colours are so bright. There are browns in here but the shimmer/sheen overshines the pigmentation in it and when worn on the eye, looks cheap. As for the colours some of them aren't that pigmented especially the yellows which are very powdery to work with. The only times I do use it is when I'm missing a shade of green or pink but other than that, it just sits there. And the packaging is really bad, both screws came off already,

on 5/4/2009 7:35:00 PM

Definitely not a buy again, that should indicate something.
It is, for 20 dolalrs, the nicest, most pigmented palette you will get that actually reflects the color in the pan to a high extent! gasp. To own all the colors, it's a must buy for sure, and the 20 dollars won't set you back in the slightest.
Let's be clear though.
33% of the colors are velvety / hard.
The remaining have this horrid texture, like lustres from your worst nightmares. Gritty, chunky, and cannot get it out of the pan unless you physically scrape it with your fingernail, and fallout is KILLER. Blending is near impossible.
Still. The colors are nice. I mean. Damn, they're nice. Bright, colorful, everyone's favorite color will be here, and for that, more than worth it.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

If you are someone who enjoys experimenting with bright colors, especially blues, greens, pinks, and yellows, this is the palette for you. Personally, I wanted to really, really love this palette, but for me, it is just a "meh." I am quite fair and prefer cool tones, and never wear blues or greens, so much of this palette isn't workable (so maybe my review is a bit colored by that fact. The greens and blues look fabulous in the pans, I just don't wear them). All of the brown/taupe/gold colors look very similar when on my lids, a big disappointment, and I find them less blendable than expected. There seems to be sione variability in pigmentation- some of the pinks are super-pigmented, for instance, while some of the browns are not. I found all but one of the purples to be fairly warm (leaning to the red/pink tones), which is probably the biggest reason for my disappointment. But hey, anyone out there searching for MAC's legendary "All Girl" pigment, a limited and valuable pigment from a few years ago (I saw one go for $75 on Ebay!), there is a cool pink that is a perfect match. There are some nice highlighters. Overall, it is a decent palette at a good price, with generally drugstore quality shadows.

on 12/23/2008 2:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I wouldn't buy this again because i can't see myself using them all up or even running out on one e/s. I have this and the original 88 palette and i tend to use the original one more often. I use this when my shadows are too matte and use these to give it an extra something to my shadows. I would say to get both of the palettes but if you can only get one then get the original one.

I like the color selection, it's really everything + more then you ever wanted! I can understand the hype of this product since it is very cheap (I bought it for 10$ + shipping from their official webshop) and the quality is okay.
But unfortunately many colors doesn't stay if you don't use an eye primer. Some of them I can't even apply without it!
I think if you don't want to use it for every day, or just want to try out new colors and color combinations, I can recommend it to you. But the hype around this product is definitly because of the price and not because of the quality.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

Good selection of colors, but most of them are very chalky, I use very high quality brushes to make these eyeshadows work.

I was pleased to find that all the eyeshadows were intact after I received it in the mail. I would never buy blue and green (and other bright colours) on their own, so it is nice to have a wide selection to choose from if there is ever an occasion where I want to wear them (or if I'm feeling a bit adventurous). Some colours are more pigmented than others. I also find that some of them flake more, so beware of fallout. They blend easily and in general, are very high quality eyeshadows. Even though this is a good and fun product, I will probably never repurchase this since I doubt that I will ever use all the colours thoroughly.

on 3/16/2009 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This palette is insane! Just for the plethoria of greens, this palette is nuts. I would have liked to see more deeper or smokey shades (navy blue, dark plum etc... or some darker bronzey browns or some olives), but you pretty much get everything else. Seriously, for the price you get a great deal. Think of all the times you buy an e/s (particularly the bright and crazy ones) because it's the IN colour of the season, and by the time the season is over you've barely made a dent in them. For less than the price of *2* MAC e/s you can have *88* and pretty much cover every trend - past, present and future. IME these wear very well (I use MAC Untitled as a base). The texture is nice and soft, almost creamy to the touch. There are also some sleepers in the bunch... a few subtle duochromes that were a nice surprise. The neutrals are very good as well and your could easily get both subtle and crazy looks with this. No regrets here - this is a fun palette to own!