Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

4.1

on 11/17/2014 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!! I have had it for a few years now and ever so often, forget I have it due to my Urban Decay Naked products. They are my go to BUT when I want to do something to spice my look up a but, I grab this!
Very pigmented colors and they stay on alllll day long! :-)
The only problem I have is that the eyeshadow is glued in with a tiny little bit of glue so they will pop out every once in a while. It is no big deal to glue them back in but I wish I didn't have to lol

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

While it does come with 88 colours, upon swatching all of them, it's something closer to 30 colours (and that's pushing it!). A lot of the colours are the same - while they look different in the pot, swatched they look very much the same.

The shimmers in this palette are all cool toned shimmers. On that note, this palette is not suitable for the yellow-toned people and better for pink-toned people. The shimmers are not irrespective of the colour, it really is just a silvery sheen on all the colours.

The pigmentation is pretty good for the price ($11 for 88 colours), but it's not great. I've witnessed better from Maybelline. Some of the colours are very difficult to apply (the lighter colours and the reds) and are just too chalky. Most only look good when applied wet.
Blending is a whole other issue. It's difficult, requires A LOT of effort and you do need a really good eyeshadow base. Most often the colours look like they bleed together when blended without any distinct blocks of colour like how I applied and they do crease when lacking my Too Faced Shadow Insurance in minimal time.

I really tried hard to love this palette since it was the first ever palette I bought, but even without much to compare it to (I usually used monos) I sadly cannot love it.

Shipping to Australia was a ridiculous price and if you are hoping for one eyeshadow palette that would be the one palette you will ever need, this is not it. It's best for experimenting I suppose. What I have learnt with this palette is that purples and greens look great on me and I should stay clear from pinks that are not a nude-ish pink and that shimmers really aren't my thing.

Wow, what can I say?
PROS:
Tiny size which is great for travel.
Some colors are repeated (about a shade off from the the other) to assure that you don't run out of your fave!
Great selection of neutrals.
Can easily be changed into nighttime makeup.
Little mirror and 2 sponge-tip applicators to use for travel.
You can easily pack on color or lightly dust in on to make a bright color more subtle.
CONS:
Only fallout noticeable is glitter.
A little flimsy packaging..
Some colors are chalkier than others.
Most of the colors have too much shimmer, especially the highlights (which there isn't very much of).

Overall, I really recommend this product. It's great for starters and VERY affordable. I really had to search for cons which took FOREVER!
I use this everyday and come up with different looks. This is great for MUA's to easily find shades for your clients.
(You also get a free sample with your order! :D)

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this palette in the set that has all 4 palettes together and all I have to say is this product is absolutely worth every cent. Quality is great. PIgmentation is excellent. Not a lot of fall out and best of all, there is so much colors to choose from. there are infinite possiblities to all the looks you can create with palette. I definitely recommend.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I really like this palette, and compared to the original matte 88 palette from CS, this one is much better in pigment and overall texture. Granted I don't use all of the colors, but the really bright ones are fun to play around with when you want to rock a bright, colorful look. The colors I find myself using the most are the cream/vanilla/white colors, the darker browns/cafe and black, and the silver toned ones (which are my FAVORITES). All of the colors have excellent pigment and apply very smoothly. There is a bit of fallout, but it is to be expected with most eyeshadows. The white/silver colors seem to have an almost creamy texture which works great under eyeshadows. The silver brightens up my eyes and I wear this one frequently on its own (with a base underneath {Mac's paint pot in Painterly}) with some winged eyeliner and a cherry red lip. When I run out I will definitely repurchase this palette. I regret purchasing the original 88 matte palette which I hardly ever use because of its' chalky texture and poor pigmentation overall. I recommend anyone trying this if they are interested in creating fun, colorful looks and love eyeshadows. It makes a great addition to any eyeshadow collection, although I would recommend those that enjoy a more neutral look that still has shimmer to try the Metallic Palette from Coastal Scents. It looks truly beautiful on the site, and I cannot wait to try that one out. I have heard nothing but good things about that one as well. It's the next on my list.

I think I will buy this product again, but I am not sure as I have had mine for about a year and have only hit pan on two colours. These colours are my go-to colours that I use day-to-day.
Absolutely amazing product.
I researched A LOT on this before I bought it, and couldn't find a bad word about it anywhere!
Love the colours, yes they are shimmery, but you can still have a natural look with them which I love.
I use it daily, and it comes with me whenever I travel too.
There are a few colours that don't go on as well as others, and some colours I don't think I will ever use, but mostly, they are well pigmented, and go on great.
The packaging is a little cheap. When I first got mine, two of the pans kept coming out, so I had to glue them in again. The two sponge applicators are pointless, and I have never used them. The mirror is handy, but never stays clean due to it sitting on top of the eyeshadows all the time.
I like that it's small (considering it has 88 different shadows in it).

on 12/27/2010 2:35:00 AM

Love the colors and versatility of the palette. Shadows blend very well even with other brands. I was super impressed with the fast delivery and packing around the palette. My only complaint is that the compact is not the best quality but it is overall a great value.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This really is an fantastic product. Unlimited looks can be created so effortlessly! Good quality shadows and nicely pigmented.

The palette is smaller than it looks in all the photos, and the shadows themselves are quite small. I find that there is plenty of product and it gives you a chance to try out lots of colours you would not usually use.

I gave this palette a 3 for packaging because the shadows do tend to crack or break in transit (especially when ordering from overseas). Also occasionally some of the shadows do come loose, but this problem is easily fixed.

Also the shadows are very shimmery, which i love but I understand not everyone does.

I have just ordered the matte palette because I love this one so much!! Definitely recommend :)

I am in love with this product!! I bought it about 3 weeks ago and I have been using it everyday. I use a MAC primer underneath and color lasts all day and well into the night. Only downfall is some of the eyeshadows fall out so you have to put them back in but that's nothing that a little hot glue can't fix. So many colors you pretty much don't need anything else!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This palette is perfect for days when you want something 'different' but don't want to spend lots of $$$$ for colors you may wear only once or twice.
The only downsides are the palette itself; it reminds me of the ones I would get as a kid....even smells like them too. And a few of the colors are slightly chalky. Aside from that, I'm pretty happy with this purchase.