Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Filtered by skin type : Other
Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

FUN product!! I got this from a rec off a FB page, she was doing her "looks" w this & I loved how she did her makeup. Of course YMMV, but I loveeeee this palette!! I just detest ordering things online. I like to buy in person, but that was impossible, so I broke down & ordered this & was NOT DISAPPOINTED!! This has a lot of crazy colors I never thought I would use, would never have purchased on their own & all at the same time LUV!! I found out that it comes in pretty handy in trying to replicate looks I find online & that experimenting w/ the unorthodox crazy colors can be pretty fun! Lotsa colors there, I don't get what the difference is between Coastal Scents & BH, seems like they have a lot of duplicate similar items. I adore this crazy palette, I had forgotten I even had it for a time, I feel like all these colors will last a lifetime, but I have the BH Neutral 88 palette & get a lot of good use out of both. The quality is great, ESP over a base like NYX White. I love the whole creative process that goes along w makeup. Your toned, moisturized face in the AM is your blank canvas!! I did not know I could pull off red or yellow e/s.... Same w greens & teals. I have so many brown, beige, white, & champagne duplicates so this palette is just a ton of fun & I think I paid approx US$15 for it last summer, maybe less, I don't recall but it would take a ton of $$$ to try to collect all of these shadows by themselves, so this is an excellent bargain. I would rec this palette to anybody whom wants a good quality, versatile, affordable, big palette they can experiment w or build their collection or for a young lady whom doesn't have a big collection just starting out w makeup, although many of these shades would be too bright for a pre-teen/teenaged girl. Good for a broke student or somebody whom likes good quality DS makeup. Would be a great gift as it is got a lot of novelty to it. No, it's not MAC or UD, but it is a very nice palette nonetheless & you will probably reach for it more often than you think, esp if you like to duplicate looks you see online then something like this is essential.

I can see why this palette is so popular with those among us who love going for daring looks, who experiment a lot with color and who want to try smth new often. This palette offers a wide range of bright colors, only some subdued, in a great finish and texture. I find this palette to be extremely well pigmented. That may be a plus for some but for me it isn't necessarily.

Because the shadows are so pigmented, it is impossible to go for a sheer look. Virtually impossible. All colors are very bright and right in your face. I am pale with dark hair and eyes and I can usually pull all colors off, be it blues, purples, pinks, greens etc. Not so here: I look like a pirate hooker, every single time I apply this, and I have been applying MU for a decade now and know what I am doing. It's a shame, because I LOVE jewel tones and bright juicy colors... it's just that I have realized that to pull that look off, the average MU-using woman is better off with a sheer color she can build up

You would think that with 88 colors you could rely solely on this palette... BUT: There is not a single shade I can use as a wash. Even the white and light pinks and greens are so pigmented that I look like a disco queen, even when I apply them with a very lose blending brush. There are no good liner colors at ALL. There is tons of blues, from turquoise to electric but not a navy you could use as a liner. That is true for every color family. The darkest shade is a dark grey... not even black.

To sum it up, this is a nice MU toy but it is not smth I reach for every day, even though that is why I decided to buy this palette in the first place.

Great product for value. You get almost every color imaginable for under $20 and if you think about how much $20 can get you at a store like Sephora, it's worth the price! Although some of the shadows are better in quality/color than others, there's still a decent number of great shadows! The lighter colors tend to be chalkier and have more fall out, but some of the colors are just gorgeous! My friend ordered the matte version, and I've got to say that the shimmer version is more wearable and versatile. It's great to play around with, and I love coming up with new color schemes. The possibilities are limitless! Also, the very vibrant colors make great eyeliners when used wet. I have not had any problem with blending. I ordered mine from Amazon and it came to me without any damage.

Tip: Use a good shadow primer and apply eye makeup before foundation to get rid of some messy fall out. UD is great, but I am currently in love with my E.L.F. mineral eyeshadow primer and for $3, it's a great buy.

on 1/17/2009 12:02:00 PM

I came upon CS's site, referred by nessasarymakeup.com and pursebuzz.com and Ive seen all the Youtube video raves about this palette. Therefore, I had to get it. Its 24.95 plus shipping which was pricey, 9.95 or something like that. It was sold out for a period of time, until I was notified by Kathy that the palettes are in stock soon. Shipping wasn't that bad, pretty fast. compared to what I heard from other ladies how long shipping took.

Review:
CS upgraded their case, its not shiny for those who hate fingerprints (like those black ds lites). Its matte now. CS sent me a sample of their coral shadow, which was nice of them. I havent tried it yet.

each shadow are dime sized. Comes with a mirror and two applicators. I wish the mirror part could be upright instead of falling flat, so that I can apply my makeup easily w/o holding it up.

I love the colors, you dont quite see the shimmer until you walk outside into the sun. Good natural lighting helps. Some of the colors are a bit creasy, therefore use a primer! Creasy colors are the lighter colors like metallic greys, silvers, whites. Some colors are chalky. It fooled me because when i walked outside, I am like wow...beautiful. But when you are inside, its like...kind of chalky. There are so many colors you can play around with. I also find it hard to take off all the makeup, it stays on around the lids even when using eye makeup remover, just to let you know. Clean your brushes regularly since when using one eyeshadow and then mixing with another shadow makes the color off and muddy.

Ingredients: It does contain parabens and BHT! BHT cant be absorbed into skin, but its bad if you ingest it..I heard it can cause cancer. One of the faults where I kind of hesitated in buying the palette.

Anyone tried their primers?

I hope you enjoyed the all raved about palette review!