Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

on 5/7/2013 12:57:00 PM

Very disappointed.

The actual purchasing/shipping process went smoothly, and I got the palette within 3 days. The palette was in fine condition when I opened it, nothing broken.

The shadows are much smaller than I had anticipated, but that wasn't a big problem because I figured, "Well, there's so man of them, I certainly won't hit pan on these for a long time"

Tried to apply them. I have fair skin, and even the darkest colors were sheer on my skin. I packed the shadows on until I said, "Eh... I guess I can see them now?" I tried to blend them and hooooly moley, that was like nailing jello to a tree. They did not blend. At all. It was a painful process, and eventually I gave up and said, "Alright, I guess that looks good enough..."

I blinked a few times, and the shadow was completely gone. Just a colorless wash of shimmer left on my eyes.

They are chalky, not nearly as pigmented as people make them out to be, they don't blend, and they look awful.

Do not buy this product. Not even as a beginner. Not ever. No.

This is a hell lot of colours! They look much better when applied wet and a little dip of the brush picks up a lot of shadow. Its rather easy to blend and apply which is good for me cuz i'm a rookie at eye makeup. Yes i will repurchase this after a long time... there are just so many colours! EDIT: i swatched the pinks and reds on the back of my hand and despite using an oil based Fancl makeup remover these colours did not wash off completely. A tinge of colour remained on my skin and i practically had to scrub it off. If its so hard to remove these colours can pretty much stain your eyelids. Its now a NO for me. Sorry coastal scents! Ps: its made in china.

on 2/20/2009 7:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I really don't like this palette. I have several other palettes from Coastal Scents, including the original 88, which is a lot better than this one. The shadows are chalky. I wouldn't really call them shimmery as much as I would call them "frosty." I was extraordinarily disappointed with the packaging. Several of the shadows fell right out of the pan, and I had to use super glue to get them to stay in.

on 8/15/2010 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I am not a fan of this palette. The colours are so shimmery and there is a lot of fall-out when you try to put them on your eyes. Also, the glue that holds the little colours in the palette is coming loose and I had to re-glue some back down in place. The price is good for 88 colours, but the product itself it not very good.

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I think I got a bad one or something. It smells funky, it's hard to blend, and the eyeshadow pans keep falling out of the palette. Really disappointing considering that it was a good price for so many colors.

on 2/7/2010 10:27:00 PM

I've been seeing this on youtube a lot this past year that I decided to get into the trend. Mine came last month since then I've rarely touched it. Some color's do NOT blend at all. Other color's would leave stains on my eyes . I've used primer's ( urban decay and toofaced ) but nothing works.. My item was packaged very well but it still came to me damaged. Thank goodness this isn't as expensive as Mac / Make Up forever .

Well, this is only my personal thoughts. It's cheap you could try it...if you want.....I only paid $ 16 with shipping

on 4/9/2009 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I didn't really like this palette much. I got it over the matte one, because mattes tend to be harder to work with, especially on my dry skin. These were really frosty as the name suggests. I liked the idea of this palette, but just found that I never really used it, because the colours in it are all so bright and shimmery. There really isn't much in the way of variation - i.e. neutrals and pastels which are more wearable. The shadows themselves are a little flaky and dusty, and since they're so tiny it's hard to get a brush into the colour without getting flakes of that colour everywhere, so they're not the easiest to work with. This is an okay palette for someone wanting to experiment with bright colours on a budget, but it's not for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

While it does come with 88 colours, upon swatching all of them, it's something closer to 30 colours (and that's pushing it!). A lot of the colours are the same - while they look different in the pot, swatched they look very much the same.

The shimmers in this palette are all cool toned shimmers. On that note, this palette is not suitable for the yellow-toned people and better for pink-toned people. The shimmers are not irrespective of the colour, it really is just a silvery sheen on all the colours.

The pigmentation is pretty good for the price ($11 for 88 colours), but it's not great. I've witnessed better from Maybelline. Some of the colours are very difficult to apply (the lighter colours and the reds) and are just too chalky. Most only look good when applied wet.
Blending is a whole other issue. It's difficult, requires A LOT of effort and you do need a really good eyeshadow base. Most often the colours look like they bleed together when blended without any distinct blocks of colour like how I applied and they do crease when lacking my Too Faced Shadow Insurance in minimal time.

I really tried hard to love this palette since it was the first ever palette I bought, but even without much to compare it to (I usually used monos) I sadly cannot love it.

Shipping to Australia was a ridiculous price and if you are hoping for one eyeshadow palette that would be the one palette you will ever need, this is not it. It's best for experimenting I suppose. What I have learnt with this palette is that purples and greens look great on me and I should stay clear from pinks that are not a nude-ish pink and that shimmers really aren't my thing.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Some of the pros I found with this were obviously the variety of colours and the price. I cant complain too much about the quality of the eyeshadows because the price is so good. I definitely prefer my more expensive eyeshadows like the urban decay shadows. I think this is a great palette for people just starting off with makeup or people who dont really use crazy colour on a daily basis and just want to have the options of colours in their collections (like me)

You have practically every color under the rainbow with this palette! The colors glide on yours lids evenly and shimmery, there is no chunky glitter, and it blends very well. It is a bit powdery on the brush, so remember to tap the excess off! Each color pan is about the size of a dime, which doesn't seem like a lot, but with all the choice in this palette, you won't be running out of any color soon. The palette is a slim black case less than half an inch thick with a small mirror and comes with two sponge applicators.