Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

I love this palette. I love all eye shadows from Coastal Scents. I was a bit Leary about purchasing something I had never seen online, but I was not disappointed. I have been using this product for 4 years, and have purchased it twice. It is my go to palette for daily use. I use E.L.F eye shadow primer underneath, and the colors stay on all day long. Urban Decay is a little more pigmented, as it should be for the price, but Coastal Scents gives it a run for their money. The only negative to this palette is the packaging. The mirror always breaks off and the shadows pop out. It is poorly made. Other than that, the makeup itself is worth the price. I also own the Reveled 1,2,3 and 88 palette with matte and satin colors. Because of these shadows I have not purchased MAC or any of the other expensive make up brands since I started using these. It doesn't make sense to pay top dollar when I can pay less and get the same looks.

on 11/17/2014 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!! I have had it for a few years now and ever so often, forget I have it due to my Urban Decay Naked products. They are my go to BUT when I want to do something to spice my look up a but, I grab this!
Very pigmented colors and they stay on alllll day long! :-)
The only problem I have is that the eyeshadow is glued in with a tiny little bit of glue so they will pop out every once in a while. It is no big deal to glue them back in but I wish I didn't have to lol

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

While it does come with 88 colours, upon swatching all of them, it's something closer to 30 colours (and that's pushing it!). A lot of the colours are the same - while they look different in the pot, swatched they look very much the same.

The shimmers in this palette are all cool toned shimmers. On that note, this palette is not suitable for the yellow-toned people and better for pink-toned people. The shimmers are not irrespective of the colour, it really is just a silvery sheen on all the colours.

The pigmentation is pretty good for the price ($11 for 88 colours), but it's not great. I've witnessed better from Maybelline. Some of the colours are very difficult to apply (the lighter colours and the reds) and are just too chalky. Most only look good when applied wet.
Blending is a whole other issue. It's difficult, requires A LOT of effort and you do need a really good eyeshadow base. Most often the colours look like they bleed together when blended without any distinct blocks of colour like how I applied and they do crease when lacking my Too Faced Shadow Insurance in minimal time.

I really tried hard to love this palette since it was the first ever palette I bought, but even without much to compare it to (I usually used monos) I sadly cannot love it.

Shipping to Australia was a ridiculous price and if you are hoping for one eyeshadow palette that would be the one palette you will ever need, this is not it. It's best for experimenting I suppose. What I have learnt with this palette is that purples and greens look great on me and I should stay clear from pinks that are not a nude-ish pink and that shimmers really aren't my thing.

on 5/7/2013 6:56:00 PM

This is a great set if you are into creating different looks and not so much into the same "go to look" everyday. There are many colors to choose from, and frankly there are a handful that Im sure I'll never even touch. The price is great, the color payoff is great, and when used with a good primer, it has good staying power as well.

on 5/7/2013 12:57:00 PM

Very disappointed.

The actual purchasing/shipping process went smoothly, and I got the palette within 3 days. The palette was in fine condition when I opened it, nothing broken.

The shadows are much smaller than I had anticipated, but that wasn't a big problem because I figured, "Well, there's so man of them, I certainly won't hit pan on these for a long time"

Tried to apply them. I have fair skin, and even the darkest colors were sheer on my skin. I packed the shadows on until I said, "Eh... I guess I can see them now?" I tried to blend them and hooooly moley, that was like nailing jello to a tree. They did not blend. At all. It was a painful process, and eventually I gave up and said, "Alright, I guess that looks good enough..."

I blinked a few times, and the shadow was completely gone. Just a colorless wash of shimmer left on my eyes.

They are chalky, not nearly as pigmented as people make them out to be, they don't blend, and they look awful.

Do not buy this product. Not even as a beginner. Not ever. No.

Love this the colors last all day long and I absolutely love it ! The packaging is nice too

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Some of the pros I found with this were obviously the variety of colours and the price. I cant complain too much about the quality of the eyeshadows because the price is so good. I definitely prefer my more expensive eyeshadows like the urban decay shadows. I think this is a great palette for people just starting off with makeup or people who dont really use crazy colour on a daily basis and just want to have the options of colours in their collections (like me)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I really enjoy using this palette, it gives me tons of colors to play with can create nearly unlimited looks with this. The pigmentation of the shadows is great, and I don't notice much fallout(although it doesn't bother me anyway). Each shadow is about the size of a dime, which although small, is a reasonable size considering how many shadows there are. So overall I really enjoy this palette. And to all of those of you that are complaining about the shimmer in any way, this is the SHIMMER pallet, if you don't like shimmer, why'd you buy it?

You have practically every color under the rainbow with this palette! The colors glide on yours lids evenly and shimmery, there is no chunky glitter, and it blends very well. It is a bit powdery on the brush, so remember to tap the excess off! Each color pan is about the size of a dime, which doesn't seem like a lot, but with all the choice in this palette, you won't be running out of any color soon. The palette is a slim black case less than half an inch thick with a small mirror and comes with two sponge applicators.

on 12/24/2011 10:27:00 AM

this is the same as the original 88 palate with shimmer added to the colours.

this is what you get :-

1. 8 rows of each colour going from light to dark.
2. very good pigmentation, easily bendable, hardly any fallout.
3. only a few colours that don't apply well or a little chalky.
4. decent amount of shimmer, never over the top!
5. 80% colour 15% dark and warm 5% highlighter and unique.

I like this palate alot, at first I got tricked by the name into thinking this would be glitter overload but it's really not, the shimmer is nice without being to chunky or inappropriate for daily use!

if you have the original matted one then get this as well, the shimmer in the colours gives them a different finish making it alot of fun to play with and try new looks when combined with the original.

personally I tend to use the matted one more and this one to blend in a little spice to the look in the end which makes it worth having.