Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Filtered by skin tone : Other
Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

3.5

FUN product!! I got this from a rec off a FB page, she was doing her "looks" w this & I loved how she did her makeup. Of course YMMV, but I loveeeee this palette!! I just detest ordering things online. I like to buy in person, but that was impossible, so I broke down & ordered this & was NOT DISAPPOINTED!! This has a lot of crazy colors I never thought I would use, would never have purchased on their own & all at the same time LUV!! I found out that it comes in pretty handy in trying to replicate looks I find online & that experimenting w/ the unorthodox crazy colors can be pretty fun! Lotsa colors there, I don't get what the difference is between Coastal Scents & BH, seems like they have a lot of duplicate similar items. I adore this crazy palette, I had forgotten I even had it for a time, I feel like all these colors will last a lifetime, but I have the BH Neutral 88 palette & get a lot of good use out of both. The quality is great, ESP over a base like NYX White. I love the whole creative process that goes along w makeup. Your toned, moisturized face in the AM is your blank canvas!! I did not know I could pull off red or yellow e/s.... Same w greens & teals. I have so many brown, beige, white, & champagne duplicates so this palette is just a ton of fun & I think I paid approx US$15 for it last summer, maybe less, I don't recall but it would take a ton of $$$ to try to collect all of these shadows by themselves, so this is an excellent bargain. I would rec this palette to anybody whom wants a good quality, versatile, affordable, big palette they can experiment w or build their collection or for a young lady whom doesn't have a big collection just starting out w makeup, although many of these shades would be too bright for a pre-teen/teenaged girl. Good for a broke student or somebody whom likes good quality DS makeup. Would be a great gift as it is got a lot of novelty to it. No, it's not MAC or UD, but it is a very nice palette nonetheless & you will probably reach for it more often than you think, esp if you like to duplicate looks you see online then something like this is essential.

I like the color selection, it's really everything + more then you ever wanted! I can understand the hype of this product since it is very cheap (I bought it for 10$ + shipping from their official webshop) and the quality is okay.
But unfortunately many colors doesn't stay if you don't use an eye primer. Some of them I can't even apply without it!
I think if you don't want to use it for every day, or just want to try out new colors and color combinations, I can recommend it to you. But the hype around this product is definitly because of the price and not because of the quality.

This is a lovely palette! Since it's named the 88 Ultra Shimmer palette I was expecting the colours to be ultra shimmery, even more so than the Metal Mania Palette. I am glad the eyeshadows don't look too shimmery on my NC44 skin. I do notice that some of the shadows have less pigmentation than others and some of the pale beige and light colours are harder to blend. However, there are so many nice colours in this palette that are nicely pigmented it makes up for the ones that are not as nicely pigmented! The green shades are well represented, with so many greens available. If you are a green eyeshadow lover I think you will be happy with this palette. There are also some nice gold toned shadows, and bronzes. So many options! I've discovered using a small amount of Urban Decay Primer Potion and then applying my MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre or Painterly on top of UDPP seems to really help these shadows stay on 10 + hours on my oily lids.

I can see why this palette is so popular with those among us who love going for daring looks, who experiment a lot with color and who want to try smth new often. This palette offers a wide range of bright colors, only some subdued, in a great finish and texture. I find this palette to be extremely well pigmented. That may be a plus for some but for me it isn't necessarily.

Because the shadows are so pigmented, it is impossible to go for a sheer look. Virtually impossible. All colors are very bright and right in your face. I am pale with dark hair and eyes and I can usually pull all colors off, be it blues, purples, pinks, greens etc. Not so here: I look like a pirate hooker, every single time I apply this, and I have been applying MU for a decade now and know what I am doing. It's a shame, because I LOVE jewel tones and bright juicy colors... it's just that I have realized that to pull that look off, the average MU-using woman is better off with a sheer color she can build up

You would think that with 88 colors you could rely solely on this palette... BUT: There is not a single shade I can use as a wash. Even the white and light pinks and greens are so pigmented that I look like a disco queen, even when I apply them with a very lose blending brush. There are no good liner colors at ALL. There is tons of blues, from turquoise to electric but not a navy you could use as a liner. That is true for every color family. The darkest shade is a dark grey... not even black.

To sum it up, this is a nice MU toy but it is not smth I reach for every day, even though that is why I decided to buy this palette in the first place.

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I LOVE this palette with all my heart, soul, and bones. The pigmentation is amazing and there is so much variety. The texture is smooth and very easy to blend. It works even better wet.

The only reason I cannot give this product a 5 rating is because the packaging is crappy. The pans pop out too easily and the sponge applicators are hard to put back in the holder if you remove them.

But... get some gorilla glue and you'll be A'okay!

on 3/23/2009 10:02:00 PM

Sorry to be the dissent here, but I hated this palette. I got the one with the matte case. These are supposed to be the same as the ones with the shiny cases. Mine arrived with several of the shadows loose from the cheap glue they use. The shadows were chalky, impossible to blend, and fall out city. To be fair, I think these may be made to be applied wet, and I applied mine dry with brushes.