Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Liek the rest of the reviewers I was so excited to receive this product. I was also, however, immensely disappointed once I finally recieved it.

Pros:
-Gorgeous colours
-Amazing range (like, 5-6 different purples - though, sometimes hard to tell apart!)
-Pretty Shimmer, though some are less "glittery" than others, which is kind of nice
-They really take pains to package it up well - came in big box with lots of paper and bubble wrap

Cons:
-tiny shadows, smaller than dime size (affects application a bit)
-The darkest colours don't have much pigment - need to keep reapplying
-They don't go on smoothly; hurts my eyes to keep blending!! Especially some of the more pigmented colours go on a bit blotchy.
-TONS of fallout - be prepared to completely clean your face once you've applied the shadows; you can't have any other makeup on prior.
-They stain. They stain whatever surface they hit. If I have fallout and I rub it away, forget it. Some of the darker colours also stain my brushes. I couldn't get the turqouise off after washing several times.

Ultimately: a fun addiction to your eye shadow collection if you want to play around with some different looks. But if it's your only eyeshadows ... well, you're not going to have the best quality and you are going to have to fuss with them quite a bit.

on 6/8/2009 3:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I really don't understand the negative reviews for this. I've had it for 2 weeks now and I absolutely love it! The color combinations are practically endless! These are pigmented shadows that stay put and last all day (I do use UDPP as a primer) and look absolutely stunning. This palette has every color you could ever want or need and is insanely affordable. Yes the shadows are only dime-sized, but come on people, you're paying $24 (and that's from CS - you can get them even cheaper on ebay) for 88 gorgeous eyeshadows. You can't even buy *two* MAC eyeshadows for that price! Besides, a little goes a LONG way with these so it's going to last forever anyway!

I keep seeing mention of them being "chalky" or "powdery," yet I haven't seen that with ANY of these shadows (and I've tried most of them). On me, they glide on velvety smooth and stay that way. They look gleamy and glisteny and frosty and shimmery and wonderful. As for blending, these shadows blend amazingly well on me and they don't all blend into one color as some people have stated.

I've also seen some complaints about fallout, which I experienced at first, too. But I've learned that if I'm just careful with applying and make sure I don't have too much on my brush, I really have no fallout whatsoever. I also dampen the brush first which helps with that too. (I usually only do this with the lighter colors, as the bolder ones are SO pigmented that it's too much for me to apply damp.) Even with MAC's expensive shadows I would get loads of fallout with their glittery shades.

I'm a little worried about the palette itself falling apart... I've read lots of horror stories about that, but haven't yet had any problems myself. And I'm also a little concerned about this lead deal... as the reviewer below me stated, if anyone has any concrete evidence on that either way, please share!

As of now, I'm so impressed with this palette that I'm also going to order the regular 88 palette. I got this one from CS for $35 (after $10 shipping). Now that I know I can get them much cheaper on ebay I'll probably do that. I highly recommend this palette to anyone of any age! I read one review where the reviewer stated this palette should only be used for "juveniles" because that's who the colors are more suited for. I couldn't disagree more. For one thing, there are plenty of neutrals and lighter, more pastel colors that any adult can successfully wear. When it comes to the brighter, more bold colors, those too can be worn by adults, as long as you know what you're doing and how to correctly apply. ;)

For reference, I own quite a few MAC eyeshadows and would say these are highly comparable!
ETA: So sorry for making my long review even longer, but I just had to come back and say that after a month and a half of owning the palette, I love it even more than when I first reviewed it! I've used ONLY this palette for my e/s since I bought it and I'm thrilled! I've been creating so many new looks and coming up with so many combinations. I have about 6 or 7 shades that I use very frequently and there's hardly a dip in the little pot. Honestly, I would say that even if a person used only a total of 8 shadows from this palette, it's still totally worth it. Even if you were buying that many CoverGirl e/s, you'd spend as much as you would for the entire 88 palette (after shipping)! That's just awesome. I just placed my order for the regular 88 Palette. :)

I received this palette a few months ago after hearing all of the rave about it. When I initially opened it (it was packaged well, and no colors were broken), I was astounded by the beautiful colors and the fact that there were 88 of them!! I immediately swatched about 10 of the colors, and they were all nicely pigmented. I was so excited to use it!

And then I finally used it, and now I must say I am not nearly as impressed as when I first opened it and swatched the colors. I think one of the most annoying things about this palette is how soft the shadows are. The fallout is absolutely ridiculous with every color I've tried. It totally deters me from the palette every time I consider using it again. When I finally decide to give it another try with a color I haven't yet used, the same thing happens.

Also, they blend terribly. As soon as you begin to blend, the more you blend, the more the color falls out and fades.

The other thing I noticed was how chalky some of the colors are, which I'm sure contributes to the fallout and difficulty blending. It's like the entire time you're putting on the eyeshadow you're trying to play catch-up.

I had also heard that the four colors to the top left are great for highlights. Again, I'd have to disagree with this. From top to bottom of those four:
The one in the very top left is a creamy white that is one of the most chalky colors in the palette. It looks beautiful when you swatch it, but when you put it on, it looks so chunky and glittery that by the time you've blended it, you have shimmer all over your face.
The next one down has sort of a purple/pink sheen to it, it's not glittery at all (which is a good thing). I will admit I do occasionally turn to this color because it's not chalky and I like the purple-ish sheen.
The next two down follow the same way the first two do. The next is chalky and too shimmery (although a bit more yellow and not quite as bad as the first), and the next is like the second one I listed (with the same purle-ish sheen), but it's a bit more pink.

On a personal note, I do tend to like shimmers, but some of these colors seem straight up glittery, I feel like I'm 10 years old experimenting with Limited Too makeup.

Oh, and none of the pans have fallen out or broken for me.

I'm giving it 3 lippies for 3 reasons:
You really cannot beat the fact that you're getting 88 different colors. The benefit of this is if you're in need of one specific color you just can't find anywhere, or you're doing your makeup but wished you had a certain color right then.

The second reason is the price. $20 for 88 shadows makes them a little less than a quarter each. (They're exactly the size of a dime, by the way)

The last reason is it's good if you want to try and see what colors you find yourself using more frequently, and buy better quality colors that match. So it makes it a pretty good idea for someone just starting out in makeup. So say for example you think you'd wear a lot of purple eye shadow, so you run out and buy an $18 purple eye shadow that you realistically end up not using. With the palette, you can see if you actually find yourself going for the purples, or you may decide you don't really like using purple eye shadows.

So overall, I personally would not purchase this product again. However, it's not a bad staple palette to own for the cheap price and the amount of colors you get. It would also be a good idea for someone just starting in makeup.

on 2/8/2009 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This is the same as the Coastal Scents 88 palette but with shimmer. They are beautiful vibrant colors. These are not as chalky as the original 88 palette. The case does have a mirror and two sponge applicators. Overall this is a good buy.

on 7/16/2010 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

PROS
- super cheap, especially on ebay
- just about every colour you would ever need
- makes following youtube tutorials easy because the right color is always there
- the colors are really pretty
- you'll save money by not purchasing expensive bold colors you'll rarely wear
- my palette came from china in perfect condition with no broken shadows
- colors are really well pigmented
- this kills lemmings. I just deliberately duped an urban decay ammo look with this palette and now have no desire to purchase it. aces.
- using this palette will teach you the ropes on how to use multiple colors to achieve a gradient look

CONS
- colors are not amazingly pigmented like nyx quality or wnw quality or mac quality but the pigmentation is better than annabelle and on par with almay
- eyeshadows have a funky smell and they're from a no-name brand from china, where there's poor regulation
- you'll need some matte crease shades or at least a matte highlighter to use with this palette; a full eye with this palette alone will be teenager-shimmery

WORTH PURCHASING?
Yes. This is one of those makeup staples that every girl who is into makeup should have.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I think these are good to experiment with and for those who don't want to spend alot of money. The shadows are super cheap and small, most of them are chalky with the original and this palette is chunky. So it has fallout of the worst kind. I still give it a two for the shades and the shimmer is pretty. They aren't that vibrant. In the pan they look more rich, but on the eye they fade and blend into one shade. That's why the YT girls don't blend the lines very well. I've seen more girls using this, but not blending. Wasted money...

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

FUN product!! I got this from a rec off a FB page, she was doing her "looks" w this & I loved how she did her makeup. Of course YMMV, but I loveeeee this palette!! I just detest ordering things online. I like to buy in person, but that was impossible, so I broke down & ordered this & was NOT DISAPPOINTED!! This has a lot of crazy colors I never thought I would use, would never have purchased on their own & all at the same time LUV!! I found out that it comes in pretty handy in trying to replicate looks I find online & that experimenting w/ the unorthodox crazy colors can be pretty fun! Lotsa colors there, I don't get what the difference is between Coastal Scents & BH, seems like they have a lot of duplicate similar items. I adore this crazy palette, I had forgotten I even had it for a time, I feel like all these colors will last a lifetime, but I have the BH Neutral 88 palette & get a lot of good use out of both. The quality is great, ESP over a base like NYX White. I love the whole creative process that goes along w makeup. Your toned, moisturized face in the AM is your blank canvas!! I did not know I could pull off red or yellow e/s.... Same w greens & teals. I have so many brown, beige, white, & champagne duplicates so this palette is just a ton of fun & I think I paid approx US$15 for it last summer, maybe less, I don't recall but it would take a ton of $$$ to try to collect all of these shadows by themselves, so this is an excellent bargain. I would rec this palette to anybody whom wants a good quality, versatile, affordable, big palette they can experiment w or build their collection or for a young lady whom doesn't have a big collection just starting out w makeup, although many of these shades would be too bright for a pre-teen/teenaged girl. Good for a broke student or somebody whom likes good quality DS makeup. Would be a great gift as it is got a lot of novelty to it. No, it's not MAC or UD, but it is a very nice palette nonetheless & you will probably reach for it more often than you think, esp if you like to duplicate looks you see online then something like this is essential.

on 1/25/2014 11:52:00 PM

Right out the gate let me explain why I love this palette, but wouldn't buy it again. As with most palettes there are shades you love and hit pan on pretty quickly, shades you don't love as much but still use, and shades you used once and hated or know you'll never use. Because of that you can go to the Coastal Scents website and buy their Hot Pots. They are larger, slightly better quality, single pan versions of the shadows in their large palettes. You can put them in a magnetized palette, or buy a palette compact through CS. They have a color selector tool that shows all of the colors in their palettes. You find the one you love, click on it, and it takes you to the ordering page for the closest match Hot Pot. So that is why I wouldn't go to the trouble of ordering another 88 Ultra Shimmer palette when I can order the individual shades I love in a larger size. Anyway, onto the review!

*PROS*
~It's affordable. This is for anyone who wants to experiment with color, but can't afford or doesn't want to drop the money on something like the Urban Decay Motherlode or a huge array of MAC single shadows.
~These are shimmery, but I wouldn't call them ultra shimmery. They're definitely not giltter bombs, which pleased me.
~The pigmentation is amazing, but you'll definitely want to use a shadow primer.
~There is a nice range of colors.
~I haven't had any trouble with fallout. Maybe I lucked out.
~These do last quite a decent amount of time and I never had trouble with creasing.
~The packaging is very slim line, so these palettes store nicely in a drawer.

*CONS*
~Some of the colors are very similar, especially the more neutral shades. When applied they don't look very different, which decreases the diversity value of this palette.
~The pans are tiny. I don't know why I didn't realize this when I saw videos on YouTube and women were pointing at the colors and the pans were the same size as the tip of their finger.
~The packaging is very awkward. You have to hold the palette away from you to pop it open and then the lid flies open and the whole thing gets a little unwieldy.
~Some of the shades are hard to apply. Not all of them, but some have that same waxy, yet chalky, consistency I described in my review of the Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips. You can dip your finger in the pan and get color, but you really have to dig a brush in there to load it for application.

on 5/7/2013 12:57:00 PM

Very disappointed.

The actual purchasing/shipping process went smoothly, and I got the palette within 3 days. The palette was in fine condition when I opened it, nothing broken.

The shadows are much smaller than I had anticipated, but that wasn't a big problem because I figured, "Well, there's so man of them, I certainly won't hit pan on these for a long time"

Tried to apply them. I have fair skin, and even the darkest colors were sheer on my skin. I packed the shadows on until I said, "Eh... I guess I can see them now?" I tried to blend them and hooooly moley, that was like nailing jello to a tree. They did not blend. At all. It was a painful process, and eventually I gave up and said, "Alright, I guess that looks good enough..."

I blinked a few times, and the shadow was completely gone. Just a colorless wash of shimmer left on my eyes.

They are chalky, not nearly as pigmented as people make them out to be, they don't blend, and they look awful.

Do not buy this product. Not even as a beginner. Not ever. No.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I like this palette. I bought it about a year or two ago on amazon. I do kinda regret not searching eBay because you can find it from the originals in China for a much cheaper price. Lesson learned but moving on this is a great palette and it is a better alternative to buying single pots of eye shadows. The colors are gorgeous and to make the colors last all day and not crease use an eye primer/base. I use the NYX one. Other than that it doesn't last without a base/primer underneath.

The one complaint I have about this is from whoever shipped this from amazon didn't package well because when I got it a few of the eye shadow pots were out of place.