Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

on 10/8/2008 9:20:00 PM

I really like this palette. You can't really be fair in comparing this to MAC or any high end shadows because it is simply not on the same level. This CS palette doesn't have any really unique duochrome shadows or anything like that but the simple colors it does have are beautiful. Most looks I do, I use one or two unique MAC shadows, and the rest of the colors just cheapies or shadows from this palette. And if I'm going out to the store or somewhere where I need to get ready fast, I use this or the matte palette a lot. Yes, you need to splurge on eye shadow when a really great, unique color comes out, but do you really need to spend $14 on another pink or purple? Get this and the matte palette and you will be set with most colors.

on 11/4/2008 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I love this palette. There are a lot of color choices so you can play around with different looks.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I was super excited to buy this palette, as it was the first big eyeshadow palette that I had ever bought. I originally thought that Coastal Scents was the actual manufacturer of this product, but soon found out thereafter that this palette is mass distributed and is actually made in China. There are several makeup companies that sell this exact same palette for at different prices. However, the cheapest place to buy it from is actually off of eBay.

The colors of the eye shadows that come within this palette are beautiful and appear at hindsight to be highly pigmented. However, if you do not apply a good eyeshadow primer/eyeshadow base underneath these eye shadows they aren't long-lasting at all, won't show up highly pigmented, and will definitely crease. Plus, the eye shadows are quite powdery as well.

Overall, I was not very impressed with this palette as a whole. And, do not plan to ever re-purchase it again. As, it is not of high quality.

I highly recommend this palette for individuals who love shimmery shadows and great bargains. You're getting 88 highly pigmented (even without a primer) beautiful shades for $24.95! You can't beat that! Each shade is only a dime size but still, the palette will last you a long time because you only need like 1 or 2 swipes (depending on your intensity preference) of each shade. I love MAC and own several of their products but seriously, I think it's overrated. There are great cheap cosmetics out there (this is one of them). Just because cosmetics are cheap doesn't mean that it's not great. The main difference between high end and low end cosmetics is marketing. I'm a broke grad student and I would rather pick up a cheap palette with 88 wonderful and various eyeshadow shades than buy a single MAC eyeshadow for $14.00. I have to admit though that the palette case is not the greatest. It lacks a metal hinge and it's a little flimsy so you have to be extra careful with it. The palette case is also glossy so your fingerprints can get on it easily. I just decorated my palette with pics from a Sephora catalog and some stickers. :-) btw, Coastal scents now offers a matte case for this same palette. The eyeshadow itself is a little powdery (not chalky though) when you're picking up color with an eyeshadow brush but I can live with that. It still gets 5 lippies from me! This palette will be an excellent gift for eyeshadow junkies!
EDIT: I compared the shadows in the palette to my MAC eyeshadows and I think I found some good MAC dupes in the palette:

MAC Rondelle (from the Gentle Fumes Quad)- the 2nd silver shade in the very last column, so 11th column, 2nd row. The dupe in the palette has more shimmer than MAC Rondelle.

MAC Goldmine- 2nd column 4th row. The dupe is slightly lighter and has more yellow undertones.

MAC Cloudbound (from the Pandamonium Quad)- 1st column, 2nd row. The dupe is pretty close except it has mainly pink in its glitter flecks while Cloudbound has gold glitter flecks.

MAC Satin Taupe- 5th row in the very last column (or 11th column), The dupe is pretty close but it has more brown undertones while satin taupe has more gray undertones. I see other shadows in this palette that have gray brown undertones so you might want to experiment. :-)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

For the price you're paying, this palette is definitely worth the purchase. The colors are highly pigmented, the shades are varied, and the possibities are endless. I do have a few complaints, though. First, this palette seems to have few to some lustre shades (which I avoid because of the fallout) and the shimmer in the rest of the shades is just a little too much for me. I sort of wished I'd bought the original palette, because after using this one, I've decided that I'm not too big a fan of sparkly/shimmer eyeshadow. Another problem is that too many of the shades are in the green-blue spectrum, which aren't really to be used on a regular basis (I'm more of a neutral, understated type of girl). If you like vibrant, look-at-me colors, this palette is for you, but if you like wearable, work-appropriate colors, you might want to opt for the neutral 25 palette.

on 12/23/2008 2:36:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I wouldn't buy this again because i can't see myself using them all up or even running out on one e/s. I have this and the original 88 palette and i tend to use the original one more often. I use this when my shadows are too matte and use these to give it an extra something to my shadows. I would say to get both of the palettes but if you can only get one then get the original one.

on 12/26/2008 3:55:00 PM

I am so in love with this palette. It's actually my first palette, and my first eyeshadow purchase besides drug store products. I am amazed every day I use this at the beautiful, pigmented colors. Even without a base, the colors last HOURS. They are so rich and highly pigmented, you only need a tiny bit. I get compliments EVERY DAY that I wear colors from this palette.

I was disappointed at first with the size - it is so small and the actual amount of product you get is small, but when I started using it and realized just how little you have to use, I realized it will be a VERY long time before I run out.

If you don't like shimmer, you won't like this. They are VERY shimmery. But I like shimmer, so I AM IN LOVE!!!!

on 12/27/2008 4:41:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

ohhh my god this is the best thing ever. saw raves on here and youtube and finally got it once it was back in stock. without any primer, the shadow still lasts all day. the colors are intense. i get a lot of compliments on my crazy colored shadows. i will have to buy another as backup. i have no need for my array of other shadows anymore!
update: best thing ever. ever.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

this is a great palette however theres many colors in this case that do not work well with my skin tone. most of the lighter colors make me look ridiculous.
i noticed that once i remove the shadow applicators, they dont stick back next to the mirror, they keep falling off and only giving 2 applicators for an 88 piece palette? but u get what u pay for i guess. somewhat.
anyways, the colors are high in pigment. i've used one of the darker blues with a primer underneath and after about 4 hours it creased regardless of the primer.
this would be great for make up artist on a budget.

on 1/13/2009 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a GREAT value that should not be passed up by anyone! The palette itself is $24.95 and the total for me came to about $32 with shipping. That's the price of just ONE Nars eyeshadow duo! Yes, of course the quality isn't as great, but it does come close with a primer! The texture of the shimmer palette is really smooth and the color payoff is brilliant when you use a primer (I use UDPP). The colors definitely aren't as shimmery as, say, Nars Strada-- they are more iridescent. If you are looking for mattes, get the original 88 palette. I'm definitely going to buy this one again if I run low, and I think I'm going to give one to my friend for her birthday. These are great, inexpensive gifts for the MU lover!