Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

3.3

on 3/16/2009 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This palette is insane! Just for the plethoria of greens, this palette is nuts. I would have liked to see more deeper or smokey shades (navy blue, dark plum etc... or some darker bronzey browns or some olives), but you pretty much get everything else. Seriously, for the price you get a great deal. Think of all the times you buy an e/s (particularly the bright and crazy ones) because it's the IN colour of the season, and by the time the season is over you've barely made a dent in them. For less than the price of *2* MAC e/s you can have *88* and pretty much cover every trend - past, present and future. IME these wear very well (I use MAC Untitled as a base). The texture is nice and soft, almost creamy to the touch. There are also some sleepers in the bunch... a few subtle duochromes that were a nice surprise. The neutrals are very good as well and your could easily get both subtle and crazy looks with this. No regrets here - this is a fun palette to own!

on 2/17/2009 10:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Hmm. I don't know if I like this palette or not. I just got it in the mail today from coastal scents. It took forever. It took four days until it even left the factory or where ever it comes from but I guess that's okay. I love all the colors in the palette. My only complaint is that it's a little powdery and I think it looks like cheap eyeshadow once applied to your eyes. I think it's excellent for someone that doesn't have a lot of makeup but I do. I don't think it's anywhere near MAC's quality as some people have mentioned. I would buy it again, I think, maybe!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

If you are someone who enjoys experimenting with bright colors, especially blues, greens, pinks, and yellows, this is the palette for you. Personally, I wanted to really, really love this palette, but for me, it is just a "meh." I am quite fair and prefer cool tones, and never wear blues or greens, so much of this palette isn't workable (so maybe my review is a bit colored by that fact. The greens and blues look fabulous in the pans, I just don't wear them). All of the brown/taupe/gold colors look very similar when on my lids, a big disappointment, and I find them less blendable than expected. There seems to be sione variability in pigmentation- some of the pinks are super-pigmented, for instance, while some of the browns are not. I found all but one of the purples to be fairly warm (leaning to the red/pink tones), which is probably the biggest reason for my disappointment. But hey, anyone out there searching for MAC's legendary "All Girl" pigment, a limited and valuable pigment from a few years ago (I saw one go for $75 on Ebay!), there is a cool pink that is a perfect match. There are some nice highlighters. Overall, it is a decent palette at a good price, with generally drugstore quality shadows.