Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

3.9

on 3/23/2009 10:02:00 PM

Sorry to be the dissent here, but I hated this palette. I got the one with the matte case. These are supposed to be the same as the ones with the shiny cases. Mine arrived with several of the shadows loose from the cheap glue they use. The shadows were chalky, impossible to blend, and fall out city. To be fair, I think these may be made to be applied wet, and I applied mine dry with brushes.

Most of the shadows/blushes, in any of type of these named/numbered finished palettes, are nicely pigmented.
Though, I find that if you don't flick off your brush and use a base, you will get more than average fallout.
So I recommend that you do your foundation last..... with any of these various named/numbered palettes.
Each one are great and have a variety of colors you can play with.

@Everyone: Please save your hard earned $ and just buy all the Coastal Scents, Bh Cosmetics, etc...etc...Palettes off of EBAY!!

They really ARE the SAME thing/colors!

Its just that they switch up the pans in different places sometimes!

I know some say that some are pigmented than other brands. But no they are not really!
Its just that some palettes are FRESHER therefore they will give you BETTER PAYOFF.

You can buy any variety for around $10.00 each on EBAY!
I actually bought the 10 Blush, Neutral, Concealer, Camouflage Palettes for under $8.00 each.... on EBAY!! Really!
Now I am a big believer for supporting American businesses. But we all now know where they get their stuff from....so I feel perfectly fine buying from overseas. ;)

This is a lovely palette! Since it's named the 88 Ultra Shimmer palette I was expecting the colours to be ultra shimmery, even more so than the Metal Mania Palette. I am glad the eyeshadows don't look too shimmery on my NC44 skin. I do notice that some of the shadows have less pigmentation than others and some of the pale beige and light colours are harder to blend. However, there are so many nice colours in this palette that are nicely pigmented it makes up for the ones that are not as nicely pigmented! The green shades are well represented, with so many greens available. If you are a green eyeshadow lover I think you will be happy with this palette. There are also some nice gold toned shadows, and bronzes. So many options! I've discovered using a small amount of Urban Decay Primer Potion and then applying my MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre or Painterly on top of UDPP seems to really help these shadows stay on 10 + hours on my oily lids.

Great product for value. You get almost every color imaginable for under $20 and if you think about how much $20 can get you at a store like Sephora, it's worth the price! Although some of the shadows are better in quality/color than others, there's still a decent number of great shadows! The lighter colors tend to be chalkier and have more fall out, but some of the colors are just gorgeous! My friend ordered the matte version, and I've got to say that the shimmer version is more wearable and versatile. It's great to play around with, and I love coming up with new color schemes. The possibilities are limitless! Also, the very vibrant colors make great eyeliners when used wet. I have not had any problem with blending. I ordered mine from Amazon and it came to me without any damage.

Tip: Use a good shadow primer and apply eye makeup before foundation to get rid of some messy fall out. UD is great, but I am currently in love with my E.L.F. mineral eyeshadow primer and for $3, it's a great buy.

I received this in a swap, so in all fairness I have no idea how well it was taken care of before I got it, but quite a few of the little pots have popped out, and obviously have done that before and were glued back in. As far as quality of the actual product goes though I am quite happy. Most of the colours are very pigmented, and have a good texture. Some stay on well and some not so much, but they all need a base. I have not had any irritation yet, and the blend well. The colours are nice over all, but it lacks a great purple and a great yellow or orange. I am happy with it, and would recommend it to anyone, especially for the price. I store mine with a paper towel in it and an elastic wrapped around it.

on 2/8/2009 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This is the same as the Coastal Scents 88 palette but with shimmer. They are beautiful vibrant colors. These are not as chalky as the original 88 palette. The case does have a mirror and two sponge applicators. Overall this is a good buy.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

FUN product!! I got this from a rec off a FB page, she was doing her "looks" w this & I loved how she did her makeup. Of course YMMV, but I loveeeee this palette!! I just detest ordering things online. I like to buy in person, but that was impossible, so I broke down & ordered this & was NOT DISAPPOINTED!! This has a lot of crazy colors I never thought I would use, would never have purchased on their own & all at the same time LUV!! I found out that it comes in pretty handy in trying to replicate looks I find online & that experimenting w/ the unorthodox crazy colors can be pretty fun! Lotsa colors there, I don't get what the difference is between Coastal Scents & BH, seems like they have a lot of duplicate similar items. I adore this crazy palette, I had forgotten I even had it for a time, I feel like all these colors will last a lifetime, but I have the BH Neutral 88 palette & get a lot of good use out of both. The quality is great, ESP over a base like NYX White. I love the whole creative process that goes along w makeup. Your toned, moisturized face in the AM is your blank canvas!! I did not know I could pull off red or yellow e/s.... Same w greens & teals. I have so many brown, beige, white, & champagne duplicates so this palette is just a ton of fun & I think I paid approx US$15 for it last summer, maybe less, I don't recall but it would take a ton of $$$ to try to collect all of these shadows by themselves, so this is an excellent bargain. I would rec this palette to anybody whom wants a good quality, versatile, affordable, big palette they can experiment w or build their collection or for a young lady whom doesn't have a big collection just starting out w makeup, although many of these shades would be too bright for a pre-teen/teenaged girl. Good for a broke student or somebody whom likes good quality DS makeup. Would be a great gift as it is got a lot of novelty to it. No, it's not MAC or UD, but it is a very nice palette nonetheless & you will probably reach for it more often than you think, esp if you like to duplicate looks you see online then something like this is essential.

i love this palette!! super fun! a lot more pigmented than i imagine. and not that chalky than i expected :) 2 of colors poped out though... it's not that biggie. hehe overall, i'm loving it/playing with it a lot.

As I said about the 88 matte palette, I love the shimmer palette as well. I think I like the shimmer one even better and it seems the colors are better pigmented as well. I honestly won't buy something full price without a gift card but I still love HE makeup. This palette seems HE w/out the price so it is a very good value and an excellent starter kit for trying out new colors. No complaints with this product except the crappy packaging that is liable to break any time. The price and fun outweighs that frustration.