Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Price: $

Price: $

on 10/20/2009 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I like this product, but I don't use it often. I have just fallen in love with matte colors, and shimmer just isn't doing it for me anymore. Not that I don't use this at all, it's just not something I reach for.

If you do like shimmer, however, this wouldn't disappoint you. This is a nice palette with a great range of color.

on 7/16/2010 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

PROS
- super cheap, especially on ebay
- just about every colour you would ever need
- makes following youtube tutorials easy because the right color is always there
- the colors are really pretty
- you'll save money by not purchasing expensive bold colors you'll rarely wear
- my palette came from china in perfect condition with no broken shadows
- colors are really well pigmented
- this kills lemmings. I just deliberately duped an urban decay ammo look with this palette and now have no desire to purchase it. aces.
- using this palette will teach you the ropes on how to use multiple colors to achieve a gradient look

CONS
- colors are not amazingly pigmented like nyx quality or wnw quality or mac quality but the pigmentation is better than annabelle and on par with almay
- eyeshadows have a funky smell and they're from a no-name brand from china, where there's poor regulation
- you'll need some matte crease shades or at least a matte highlighter to use with this palette; a full eye with this palette alone will be teenager-shimmery

WORTH PURCHASING?
Yes. This is one of those makeup staples that every girl who is into makeup should have.

on 7/30/2009 9:41:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

While this palette is definitely good to have when you just started experimenting bright colors, the quality is not the best in my opinion. Still, for the price, I would say it is definitely worth having. When I first got this, I used to use it a ton because this was like the only brights palette I had but as I collected more fun colors from high end brands, I do not reach for this palette anymore. But I will definitely keep this because it has that really crazy red and hot pinks and blues that I just don't wanna pay a lot of money for, but want to have in my kit just in case.

on 7/2/2009 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I don't really use much of my 120 palette, so I was really hesitant to try this. I love shimmer, but alot of the colors in the 120 palette look AMAZING in the pans, but they are like glittery and have horrible color pay off and flake everywhere. Because these are so cheap, if only a few colors work out for me, it's still worth it since I hate wearing the same eyeshadow daily (even weekly) so I'd rather have a bunch of different colors, even if they are small (I believe these are smaller than the 120 palette).

To be fair for those who don't like this palette, I haven't worn them yet, I've just done a ton of swatches over NYX Jumbo pencil in Milk with the included sponge top applicators but I think the color pay off is amazing! They have the perfect amount of shimmer in my opinion, the ones I swiped weren't glittery and flaky and none of them seem chalky. CS packaged it well, none of my shadows were damaged. CS also lowered their palette prices (right after I placed my order, go figure!) so it is now $19.95 vs. $24.95. I really don't wear alot of matte, but I'm considering getting the other palette because they are so cheap and it might be fun to mix textures! I don't think you have anything to lose getting this palette!

I'm only going to give this 4 lippies because of the packaging, no my eyeshadows haven't fallen out yet but I think that's pretty unexceptable and I think people would actually pay $30 for this palette if it meant shadows not popping out. It would be a shame to have a favorite shadow in here shattered. I also hate how they say Coastal Scents really big on the front now (vs. just a plain black palette). Lastly, I feel that it is lacking a good orange color and I've been looking for a good dark teal color which isn't in here either.

on 2/13/2010 1:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER BOUGHT. It comes with any color you will ever want. It is dirt cheap and the colors last forever. I have been using mine for 6 months now and I haven't made a dent in it. Even the colors I use everyday have a lot a lot left. The colors are very pigmented. It is great if you like to play up your eyes and like bold eyes. I get compliments all the time on my eye makeup. Everyone asks me what shadow I wear. PLEASE BUY THIS and you will not regret it. It would be best to get the 88 matte palette too though if you want to mix and match your matte and shimmer.