Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

on 5/7/2013 12:57:00 PM

Very disappointed.

The actual purchasing/shipping process went smoothly, and I got the palette within 3 days. The palette was in fine condition when I opened it, nothing broken.

The shadows are much smaller than I had anticipated, but that wasn't a big problem because I figured, "Well, there's so man of them, I certainly won't hit pan on these for a long time"

Tried to apply them. I have fair skin, and even the darkest colors were sheer on my skin. I packed the shadows on until I said, "Eh... I guess I can see them now?" I tried to blend them and hooooly moley, that was like nailing jello to a tree. They did not blend. At all. It was a painful process, and eventually I gave up and said, "Alright, I guess that looks good enough..."

I blinked a few times, and the shadow was completely gone. Just a colorless wash of shimmer left on my eyes.

They are chalky, not nearly as pigmented as people make them out to be, they don't blend, and they look awful.

Do not buy this product. Not even as a beginner. Not ever. No.

This is a hell lot of colours! They look much better when applied wet and a little dip of the brush picks up a lot of shadow. Its rather easy to blend and apply which is good for me cuz i'm a rookie at eye makeup. Yes i will repurchase this after a long time... there are just so many colours! EDIT: i swatched the pinks and reds on the back of my hand and despite using an oil based Fancl makeup remover these colours did not wash off completely. A tinge of colour remained on my skin and i practically had to scrub it off. If its so hard to remove these colours can pretty much stain your eyelids. Its now a NO for me. Sorry coastal scents! Ps: its made in china.

on 12/27/2010 9:10:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I just can't good a good colour pay off : (

I do like the many different colours it's great for the days when you feel fancy and don't want to buy all these other colours. The case is okay but mine fell and the lid broke off and the mirror popped out. Not going to complain much because of pricing but I would have liked to be able to get more than drop out of it before it broke.

Over all I'm sad to say I will not buy this again.

on 8/15/2010 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I am not a fan of this palette. The colours are so shimmery and there is a lot of fall-out when you try to put them on your eyes. Also, the glue that holds the little colours in the palette is coming loose and I had to re-glue some back down in place. The price is good for 88 colours, but the product itself it not very good.

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I think I got a bad one or something. It smells funky, it's hard to blend, and the eyeshadow pans keep falling out of the palette. Really disappointing considering that it was a good price for so many colors.

on 2/17/2010 12:53:00 AM

I've had this palette for quite a while now. And I've only used it a few times.
Although the colors are creamier and more pigmented than the ones in the matte palette the frostiness keeps me from using this too often (or ever!). I'm only 22, I have no problem wearing shimmer shadows. They're actually flattering. But *this* is too much!
I especially dislike the lighter colors. They all look like white shimmer with just a hint of color that doesn't show up at all in pictures. It's just a shimmery mess.
I'd say this is a good palette to give to a 15yr old girl just getting into makeup. I'm very disappointed.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

My first reaction to this product is "No no no! Don't do it!" THe shadows are chalky and useless. But then i decided to try one of them wet. And now I would have to say these shadows are alright. Still not super great, nothing to rave about, but they work if you wet your brush first! I have only tried one color so far.. and I will update as soon as I have tried out more of the colors!

UPDATE!: Ended up getting rid of it. LOL Guess that shows how i feel about this palette. I do not recommend even trying this. Just go try some other palette, even if it costs a little more it will be worth it.

on 4/9/2009 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I didn't really like this palette much. I got it over the matte one, because mattes tend to be harder to work with, especially on my dry skin. These were really frosty as the name suggests. I liked the idea of this palette, but just found that I never really used it, because the colours in it are all so bright and shimmery. There really isn't much in the way of variation - i.e. neutrals and pastels which are more wearable. The shadows themselves are a little flaky and dusty, and since they're so tiny it's hard to get a brush into the colour without getting flakes of that colour everywhere, so they're not the easiest to work with. This is an okay palette for someone wanting to experiment with bright colours on a budget, but it's not for me.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

UPDATE ON 12/17/09:Ok I have an updated opinion on this product. At first I thought this product was a bit sucky,but workable. Now I just find it to be plain shitty. Let me start off by saying that I am in no way a label snob nor do I have anything against costal scents at all. I do agree that finding a palette with 88 colors for $35 is a deal,but honestly when I really look at the bigger picture it just is not worth it. To start off with,most ppl recommend this palette for beginners,but I honestly feel that this palette would be something I would use if I were into theater makeup or if I gave this to my daughter to play with(at home of course) and make up her little face,but other than that this palette is not something I feel is suitable for anyone,esp beginners. The colors are hard to blend (even with my udpp,jumbo nyx pencil or my paint pot)because they have a chalky/soft texture,the fallout of the eyeshadow is ridiculous and very dusty( I know eye shadows with glitter have this,but this is beyond a bit of fall-out), the shadows make my eyes look crepey(as another user put it) along with the glitter being very chunky and the packaging is horrible(3 of my eyeshadow pans have fallen out and I DO NOT handle my palette rough). Everyone is a sucker for the prices(which I was too),but honestly sometimes quality is better than quantity. I didn't expect MAC expectations,but I certainly expected to be on the same level as drug store eyeshadows at least. If I were to recommend any cheaper,nice quality type eyeshadows to a beginner, NYX would definitely be at the top(not the trios but the single shadows). I would honestly say to anyone who wants to buy this,maybe it would work for you,but i definitely didn't for me.

on 3/16/2014 10:30:00 AM

I love this product... I did a review on it. http://k-beautycode.blogspot.com/2014/03/review-coastal-scents-88-ultrashimmer.html