Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette

Coastal Scents Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow palette
Ultra Shimmer 88 eye shadow paletteCoastal Scents 88 Ulta Shimmer Palette

4.1

on 3/16/2014 10:30:00 AM

I love this product... I did a review on it. http://k-beautycode.blogspot.com/2014/03/review-coastal-scents-88-ultrashimmer.html

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

While it does come with 88 colours, upon swatching all of them, it's something closer to 30 colours (and that's pushing it!). A lot of the colours are the same - while they look different in the pot, swatched they look very much the same.

The shimmers in this palette are all cool toned shimmers. On that note, this palette is not suitable for the yellow-toned people and better for pink-toned people. The shimmers are not irrespective of the colour, it really is just a silvery sheen on all the colours.

The pigmentation is pretty good for the price ($11 for 88 colours), but it's not great. I've witnessed better from Maybelline. Some of the colours are very difficult to apply (the lighter colours and the reds) and are just too chalky. Most only look good when applied wet.
Blending is a whole other issue. It's difficult, requires A LOT of effort and you do need a really good eyeshadow base. Most often the colours look like they bleed together when blended without any distinct blocks of colour like how I applied and they do crease when lacking my Too Faced Shadow Insurance in minimal time.

I really tried hard to love this palette since it was the first ever palette I bought, but even without much to compare it to (I usually used monos) I sadly cannot love it.

Shipping to Australia was a ridiculous price and if you are hoping for one eyeshadow palette that would be the one palette you will ever need, this is not it. It's best for experimenting I suppose. What I have learnt with this palette is that purples and greens look great on me and I should stay clear from pinks that are not a nude-ish pink and that shimmers really aren't my thing.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

When I ordered this product, I was very excited for it. There is every color under the sun and it is so beautiful to look at. The packaging is flimsy though, so one the eyeshadows was broken, and soon one of them dropped out and got destroyed( not that I was partial to that color). But the more I used them, the more I realized that the quality was rather poor. The colors were very dusty and kind of chalky, and it was hard to get good color pay off, especially on my dark lids. And if I rubbed them, the color would completely fade and the shimmer would be left. To be honest, I practically never reach for this palette because alot lf the colors just aren't good quality. That being said, it is great as a beginner palette because it gives you to the chance to experiment with colors and is good as a backup palette for when you need a color but don't have it any other palette, and it's a good deal overall. But don't expect great quality from the colors

on 5/7/2013 12:57:00 PM

Very disappointed.

The actual purchasing/shipping process went smoothly, and I got the palette within 3 days. The palette was in fine condition when I opened it, nothing broken.

The shadows are much smaller than I had anticipated, but that wasn't a big problem because I figured, "Well, there's so man of them, I certainly won't hit pan on these for a long time"

Tried to apply them. I have fair skin, and even the darkest colors were sheer on my skin. I packed the shadows on until I said, "Eh... I guess I can see them now?" I tried to blend them and hooooly moley, that was like nailing jello to a tree. They did not blend. At all. It was a painful process, and eventually I gave up and said, "Alright, I guess that looks good enough..."

I blinked a few times, and the shadow was completely gone. Just a colorless wash of shimmer left on my eyes.

They are chalky, not nearly as pigmented as people make them out to be, they don't blend, and they look awful.

Do not buy this product. Not even as a beginner. Not ever. No.

on 12/13/2012 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

This product is highly pigmented and stay on with good eye primers (I use clarins flash balm, topped off with l'oreal nude magique bb, setting loose powder, eyelid primer and cream eyeshadow prior to application), stays on for the whole 12h on my oily lids. I've made some lovely experimentations but in the end find myself reaching for it rather rarely.

I love the oranges for neutralizing my under-eye dark circle prior to garnier roll-on cafeine concealer. Definitely helps it gain extra longevity.

Nowadays I prefer putting some vibrant colors on my lid, blended with naked shade from the naked palette, darkhorse for the crease and creep for the wing. Borderline of vibrant and natural <3

3 years after purchase, just for the sake of updating my review:
I didn't regret buying this back on my beginner make up university days, but after working for a few years and having kids I would've rather invested my money straight on one of the sleek i-divine palettes that suits my complexion (namely sunset palette). I reached out to it way more, with the UDN and cargo warm neutral palette as well. It's alright for experimentation. Goes on buttery creamy but fades after 1-2 hours even with the best of the primers.

I like the color selection, it's really everything + more then you ever wanted! I can understand the hype of this product since it is very cheap (I bought it for 10$ + shipping from their official webshop) and the quality is okay.
But unfortunately many colors doesn't stay if you don't use an eye primer. Some of them I can't even apply without it!
I think if you don't want to use it for every day, or just want to try out new colors and color combinations, I can recommend it to you. But the hype around this product is definitly because of the price and not because of the quality.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I like this palette. I bought it about a year or two ago on amazon. I do kinda regret not searching eBay because you can find it from the originals in China for a much cheaper price. Lesson learned but moving on this is a great palette and it is a better alternative to buying single pots of eye shadows. The colors are gorgeous and to make the colors last all day and not crease use an eye primer/base. I use the NYX one. Other than that it doesn't last without a base/primer underneath.

The one complaint I have about this is from whoever shipped this from amazon didn't package well because when I got it a few of the eye shadow pots were out of place.

Love this the colors last all day long and I absolutely love it ! The packaging is nice too

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Some of the pros I found with this were obviously the variety of colours and the price. I cant complain too much about the quality of the eyeshadows because the price is so good. I definitely prefer my more expensive eyeshadows like the urban decay shadows. I think this is a great palette for people just starting off with makeup or people who dont really use crazy colour on a daily basis and just want to have the options of colours in their collections (like me)

on 3/19/2012 5:29:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I had been wanting to get this palette since forever, but somehow never got around to it. I finally caved in last week and got myself the 88 Matte/Satin one from an online reseller in my country.

Granted, the quality is somewhat compromised due to its low price. The formulation is chalky making them look caked on my lids, and many of the lighter shades barely appear on my skin due to poor pigmentation. The brighter shades are very pretty, and make me want to get the Shimmer palette. Surprisingly, the lasting power is impressive when coupled with a good primer. One night I wore Coastal Scents shadows with Urban Decay ones to a street party, and I was surprised to find that the UD colours faded while the CS ones lasted by the end of the night. I find that Matte eyeshadows are unflattering to my face, so what I usually do is pair them with shimmer ones from other, better brands.

I doubt I will be using half of the colours at all though. Won't repurchase.