Lipstick Queen Medieval

Filtered by skin tone : Medium

3.0

(from packaging): phenyl trimethicone, silica, nylon-12, octyldodecanol, ozokerite, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, methyl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, polyisobutene, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, beeswax (cera alba), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, vegetable oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil, salix nigra (willow) bark extract, actinidia chinensis (kiwi) fruit extract, honey extract, vinis vitefera (grape) fruit extract, camelia oleifera (tea) leaf extract, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, butylene glycol, water (aqua), microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 20, butylparaben, propylparaben, iron oxides (CI 77499). (from website): RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE VEGETABLE OIL EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX BEESWAX (CERA ALBA) ETHYHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE OZOKERITE BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA BUTTER) TOCOPHERYL ACETATE HYROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL LIMANANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL MANGIFERA INDICA (MANGO) SEED BUTTER HYDROGENEATED OLIVE OIL BENZOPHONONE-3 ISOPROPYLPARABEN ISIBUTYLPARABEN BUTYLPARABEN IRON OXIDES 77491 IRON OXIDES 77492 IRON OXIDES 77499 RED 7 LAKE 15850 RED 33 LAKE 17200 YELLOW 5 LAKE 19140

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Beautiful color (a rosey - winery red with real depth), non matte, smooth, moist lipstick BUT it doesn't last. It reminds me of Clinique's black honey in texture but in a much more flattering color or Fresh Sugar's lip balm/treatment.

I would compare this to a deeply pigmented lip balm.

I've been holding off on writing a review for Medieval because when I first tried it 8 months ago, I though it was nothing special, just a tinted balm. But that was a while ago and I've since realized that it's the only lip product I want to use now. For starters, medieval kept my lips soft and moisturized in the winter, seemed more moisturizing compared to my nivea balm. The color is so natural, it's a medium strawberry red with a slight berry tint. Medieval is very sheer, so it blends with your natural lip color. The look created is so natural that a sales associate at Sephora thought it was my natural lip color. He commented that I had really pretty pigmented lips. My lips aren't naturally pigmented at all, but at least with Medieval I can fake it.

I also use Medieval on top of my Nars reds and the color stays put and keeps my lips smooth, even though Nars semi mattes can be very drying. Love this product!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Unfortunately, these lipsticks contain parabens, which are linked with breast cancer.

A healthier alternative to Medieval, for me, has been to use Burts Bees Lip Balm underneath a light layer of one Clinique's buttershine lipsticks. When paired with a light coat of Cranberry Cream, this looks almost exactly like Medieval on me but minus all of the toxic chemicals.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Yes, it's a beautiful color and almost universal, or as near to it as anything I've encountered. Yes, the packaging is a delight. But...yes, it's a glorified $20 USD lip balm. And it feathers like crazy.

The product itself is quite soft, as lippies go, and it wears down quickly on application. It's not long-lasting on the lips, so that's repeated applications during the day. For less money I'd accept that, but not at this price and certainly not with add-to-the-cost packaging that gets thrown away. I'm glad I tried it, but once is enough for me.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Poppy King said she made Medieval to recreate the effect that applying lemon juice to your lips has (people were forbidden to wear make-up back then, which is why they used this method). In my opinion, this product does not achieve that look at all! It is really a lot more red than I expected, and it definitely looks like you're wearing lipstick.

I do think the color it gives your lips is rather nice, at least it looks quite good with my skin, while I'm usefully kind of clown-looking when I wear red lipstick. I gave it four lippies because it's not what it claims to be. However, if you're looking for a nice red lipstick that you can actually wear outside, give this a try.

I'm just a little bit disappointed in this product. It's not as moisturizing as I thought it was going to be, but the good news is that it doesn't dry my lips up either. I have fairly pigmented lips and medium-tan skin and my main concern was that this was going to look slightly magenta on my lips as most tints do. Clinique's Black Honey looks like an unflattering wine-brown color on my lips, while Medieval looks more cherry-ish, though leaning towards the slight magenta side. I partially don't like the way it looks on my lips since it looks as though I had red lipstick on and then drank something, so it's like a wash of color left over. One other good thing about it is that it's unscented and tasteless. I love the cute, simple, red and gold-lettered packaging. It looks like lipstick in the tube, but once applied, it is a sheer wash of color. I do think that the price is a bit much for what you get ($20.) I think this would look better on someone with lighter/fairer skin. I must also add that the color is slightly buildable, but the color tends to migrate to areas of your lips (like mainly the corners and inner lip area.)

Popular Lipsticks