Lipstick Queen Medieval

Filtered by hair type : Curly

4.6

(from packaging): phenyl trimethicone, silica, nylon-12, octyldodecanol, ozokerite, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, methyl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, polyisobutene, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, beeswax (cera alba), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, vegetable oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil, salix nigra (willow) bark extract, actinidia chinensis (kiwi) fruit extract, honey extract, vinis vitefera (grape) fruit extract, camelia oleifera (tea) leaf extract, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, butylene glycol, water (aqua), microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 20, butylparaben, propylparaben, iron oxides (CI 77499). (from website): RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE VEGETABLE OIL EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX BEESWAX (CERA ALBA) ETHYHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE OZOKERITE BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA BUTTER) TOCOPHERYL ACETATE HYROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL LIMANANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL MANGIFERA INDICA (MANGO) SEED BUTTER HYDROGENEATED OLIVE OIL BENZOPHONONE-3 ISOPROPYLPARABEN ISIBUTYLPARABEN BUTYLPARABEN IRON OXIDES 77491 IRON OXIDES 77492 IRON OXIDES 77499 RED 7 LAKE 15850 RED 33 LAKE 17200 YELLOW 5 LAKE 19140

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I agree with other reviewers that this is really a glorified tinted lipbalm, but I am ok with that. I love how moisturizing it is and that I can put it on without looking. My favorite time to use Medieval is after you have worn a red lipstain for a few hours and you need some moisture on your lips. It fills in any gaps in color nicely. I think the pricepoint is pretty high considering and would really have to think twice about repurchasing.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I ordered this on a whim from Ulta. I had checked out this line previously at Barney's but wasn't really "wowed" by any of the products. What a mistake! This is my new favorite lipstick! The color is a gorgeous soft rose/red on me, it has decent staying power, and is comfortable to wear (no dryness). The only minor quibble I have is that I really don't like the tube. Looks a little on the cheap side to me. But, for a beautiful color payoff like this, I can live with it!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I really do like Medieval, but I said I wouldn't buy it again on here simply because of the price. It's not that it's WILDLY overpriced, but this tube would probably last me the rest of my natural life anyway, and while the color is very nice, it's not anything incredible. This formula is more like a balm; someone else compared it to Fresh's Sugar in Rose-- spot on, these two are nearly identical. I prefer Fresh Sugar's formula and scent, but I like the color and packaging of Lipstick Queen's Medieval better (I experienced the jostling-around-in-the-tube issue some other people complain of with Sugar's balms, which is the last thing I want in a balm that is so pricey!). My only real issue is that Medieval doesn't wear well. It doesn't have great staying power, but it also changes in color quite a bit from start to finish on me. Depending on how much I layer, it can start out anywhere from a soft pink to a solid red, but no matter where I start from, it eventually wears to a slightly fluorescent-ish pink that isn't too flattering to my pallor. Since I tend to apply my makeup then go, and rarely re-apply later, this is something I will save for quick evenings out instead of a day-long look.

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I finally purchased this from Ulta last weekend, after having tested it on my hand several times in the past couple of months. I'm not quite sure why I finally decided to purchase Medieval, but I am ever so happy that I did! Not only is this an excellent "everyday red," it is also quite long-lasting, moisturizing, and comfortable to wear. I've always been a sucker for lip products (and have purchased nearly every form from low-end to high-end over the decades), but I must say this is truly my favorite. The hue is a subtle and natural red flush, not something that screams out that I'm wearing lipstick. I love the tube itself, although I kind of wish it didn't have "Lipstick Queen" emblazoned upon it. Like others have said, the packaging artwork is quite intriguing, too.

When I glide this lovely lip stain across my lips, the effect it gives calls to mind one of my favorite paintings from 1893, "La Belle Dame Sans Merci," by John William Waterhouse. If you've never seen the painting, you should Google it. The pre-Raphaelite artist painted an intimate scene in which we find an ethereally beautiful young lady who is passionately gazing into the eyes of a knight, her flushed lips are slightly parted to receive a kiss from her chosen suitor. This particular artist often painted scenes which had been based upon famous poems, and most of his paintings feature what I consider to be a standard of beauty, where the glow of the subject shines, not as a result of the cosmetics she wore to enhance her features. Wear this gorgeous lipstick, and that same effect shall certainly be yours!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I love the look of this lipstick-- It's just the right amount of red, adding visible color and brightening the face, without looking too formal or in-your-face red.

But I've had to stop wearing it, because it dries out my lips terribly. This happens even when I wear a lip balm under it. About 2 hours after application, the color has worn off and my lips are parched.

So, I won't be repurchasing this one.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is a lovely sheer red lipstick. It goes on me as more of a pinkish-red than a true-red, but I like it nonetheless. There is no scent or taste, and it has a balmy look and feel that gives just a hint of color (my favorite texture for a lipstick, anyways). Its not really 'buildable' so its best for a more natural look. The staying power is typical of any sheer lipstick (1-2 hrs). I am strangely attracted to the Lipstick Queen brand, as much for the stories behind the products as I am for the products themselves. This was a bit pricey for me ($20 reg price, I think), though I got it during a 20% off promo from beauty.com. This is a versatile shade thatís easy to apply & wear. I would repurchase should I ever have the need.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Ok, here's the deal. I don't really like lipsticks in general but this is my favorite lip product ever! it's such a lovely shade of red, more of a lip tint or a stain, and it glides so smooth and, actually, feels hydrating. I love the whole concept and the packaging too. I will definitely repurchase.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is a sheer red color that can be built up to a certain extent to adjust its intensity. Very lovely shade and the formula is exquisite and very moisturizing. Will definitely be repurchasing.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This is what I've always wanted for everyday wear, but was never able to find: a sheer red lip color that looks natural, is comfortable, and lasts a long time. Until now I haven't found a lip color that has met each of those characteristics in one product. I've tried BeneTint, Tarte, LipTini, Bare Escentuals, and the list goes on. The closest I'd come is Fresh Sugar Rose (spf 15), and I've been using it for over a year. I love it, but to be utterly perfect I wanted something with more concentrated pigment. With Fresh, the moisture lasts for hours, but the color doesn't last as long. Medieval is everything I wanted and more. The color is absolutey gorgeous. It can look like "my lips but better", or it can look more dramatic, depending upon how many layers I choose to add. It's extremely moisturizing, (right up there with Fresh), but it is unscented and tasteless. It's so natural-looking, that even up close it's hard to to tell that I have any enhancement on my lips. It's like a very light, soft balm that leaves a soft wash of stain that's visible 6-7 hours after application. It plumps my lips, fills in dryness, and makes my lips look smooth and flawless. Best of all, it doesn't creep off my lips like many other lip colors. I don't need any sort of liner or topper for it. I'd buy this if it came in a brown bag, but, serendipitously, it comes in a beautiful, rich crimson lipstick case that looks classy, yet interesting. The tarot-looking card (it's not a Tarot card) that comes with the lipstick is a fun stimulus for my inner eccentric. The descriptions of the symbolism on Lipstick Queen's website paint a pretty grim picture, but I suppose they're meant to convey the popular philosophies of certain people-groups during Medieval times. The whole idea reminds me of the concepts behind the Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs perfume oils, and I just LOVE it. I'm a complete sucker for artistic quirkiness, so the little cards that come with Lipstick Queen lipstick make me enjoy it even more! It's been said hundreds of times, but I'll say it again: Medieval is an amazing product. It's truly top-notch, and one-of-a-kind. I sincerely believe Poppy King when she says she "listens" so she knows what customers want from their lip products. So many of us have been wearing glosses for years because we were afraid of looking at our reflections in the mirror and seeing our Nanas (sans the blonde wig and drawn-on eyebrows, hopefully). Lipstick Queen lipsticks give me an entirely new and positive view of lipstick, and I'm having a ball learning how many colors I actually can wear!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Alert! Alert! I am going to declare something my first ever HG lip product! This stuff is awesome! For reference I am a neutral leaning NC20 with dark brown hair.

Pros
Awesomely moisturising, doesn't dry lips out at all. I think this is the only lipstick I have used that isn't drying.
Gorgeous glossy finish.
The colour is awesome- it looks a frightening blood red in the tube, but goes on a sheer wash of berry beautiful red.
Colour and finish combined make this much more than just a tinted lip balm.

Cons
Hmmm... Struggling to think of any. Its quite expensive- £19.50 from Space NK, however UK based Ebay seller Maptasy is selling them for £14.99 including P&P. They have a make me an offer bit and I managed to get mine delivered for £11 (a bid of £10.50 was rejected).