Lipstick Queen Medieval

Filtered by hair type : Wavy

4.1

(from packaging): phenyl trimethicone, silica, nylon-12, octyldodecanol, ozokerite, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, methyl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, polyisobutene, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, beeswax (cera alba), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, vegetable oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil, salix nigra (willow) bark extract, actinidia chinensis (kiwi) fruit extract, honey extract, vinis vitefera (grape) fruit extract, camelia oleifera (tea) leaf extract, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, butylene glycol, water (aqua), microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 20, butylparaben, propylparaben, iron oxides (CI 77499). (from website): RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE VEGETABLE OIL EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX BEESWAX (CERA ALBA) ETHYHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE OZOKERITE BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA BUTTER) TOCOPHERYL ACETATE HYROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL LIMANANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL MANGIFERA INDICA (MANGO) SEED BUTTER HYDROGENEATED OLIVE OIL BENZOPHONONE-3 ISOPROPYLPARABEN ISIBUTYLPARABEN BUTYLPARABEN IRON OXIDES 77491 IRON OXIDES 77492 IRON OXIDES 77499 RED 7 LAKE 15850 RED 33 LAKE 17200 YELLOW 5 LAKE 19140

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this because it sounded really great but as others have said, it isn't red. It's berry. And I knew it wasn't lipstick. Wanna get that out of the way first. It is nice on your lips but my Ocean Potion lipstick is just as nice if not better as it contains an SPF and I can add any color I want to it. The other thing that made me give it a not so great rating is that is does not last long and by that, I mean, before you know it, you are at the end of your tube. I am so thankful that I didn't pay full price for this lipstick. Pretty packaging, pretty tube color but other than that, it's hype.

I love this! I'm on my second tube and will continue to buy it as a staple unless LQ reformulates it!

If you buy it expecting a "lipstick," you'll be disappointed. I'd really call it more of a tinted balm--it's VERY sheer on me. It's so sheer that I don't need a mirror to apply it; I just use it like a chapstick. I love it for no-makeup days when I want to look like I didn't just roll out of bed, and I love it with full eyes also.

It has what I consider the perfect balance of sheerness and moist texture. Some sheers are too slippery/oily, but this stays on my lips without sliding around or collecting in weird globs like some glosses can.

It is also very moisturizing on me. Many lip products make my often-chapped lips worse.

It's on the expensive side, but I've never found anything like it.

My most recently bought tube says "Made in Canada," which I like. (I won't pay premium prices for makeup that's made in China.)

The packaging could be sexier, I guess. It's a basic lipstick tube. The box it comes in is gorgeous, though!

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

If you're reading this to influence your choice to take the plunge and purchase this lipstick, my goal is to make you feel great about spending a little more than most of us are comfortable with for such an item.

I own more lipstick than I care to admit, and I think that's likely because I'm always in search of that ONE that I can't live without. I think this is the one!

Obtaining natural-looking lips is always a challenge, one that seems should not be so hard. Lipstick Queen has done it. This is a beautiful, natural, sheer red tinted lipstick with a medium degree of shine. For me, one coat was hardly noticeable. But with two more swipes I was in love! The ability to easily control the degree of pigment during initial application is a treat.

Also, I think it would be an excellent top coat for a darker pigmented lipstick if desired!

Not for those wanting a traditional lipstick look. But if you're a natural looking kind of person, buy it asap!

For a little longer last, use with Sealed with a Kiss Lipstick Fixator. I'm having great results!

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was reluctant to spend the $$$ on this because I was afraid I would like it too much...and I do. Now I am going to have to hunt it down and repurchase when I run out, and I am going to HAVE TO try some other Lipstick Queen lippies too. Sigh.

Poor wallet.

This is a wonderful sheer, but moderately buildable, subtle red. It feels soft and luxe on the lips. It doesn't have a lot of staying power, but leaves behind a lovely, even, reddish flush as it fades. For me it is the absolutely perfect daytime red, but sheer and subtle are the key words here.

Medieval is marketed as being the perfect sheer red for all skin tones. I found it to be kind of an unflattering bright orangey-red on me. For a sheer lipstick I found the formula to be surprisingly drying and not at all long-lasting. I bought it mainly because I believed the advertising. There are similar colours and better formulas out there without the price tag that comes with a heavily marketed indie hipness factor. I like the metal tube and the visual design of the packaging, though.

This color is just gorgeous! I am always looking for a MLBB balm or stain, and having put off buying this for 6 years due to price, I finally caved. My lips naturally don't have any color, and I have to wear something to look lively. I have been using Lipsmackers for the tint. I would describe this as a grown up Dr. Pepper Lipsmackers+, because it actually shows up more, and is just as moisturizing with vitamin E. This is a new Holy Grail for me! Makes my lips look juicy and "just bitten".

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Some readers here have called this a glorified lip balm, and I would tend to agree. But wow, what a lip balm it is. It does apply so smoothly and feels so luxurious I can't help but love it. A quick swipe and you really don't notice much color, but you do get a nice hit of sheer red as you build it up. I don't think the staying time is very long, but again, with the feel, the beautiful color and the lovely packaging, I love it and happily reapply. And if you apply a few swipes, you do get a more noticeable red, albeit still natural.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This lipstick is very moisturizing and is packed with pigment. It's a fun color to wear day-to-day.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

a fantastic, easily applicable berry-ish red-stain-slash-lip-balm. it's a step up from my beloved cherry chapstick in color, but a stepdown from a full red lip. good, soft red that builds easily and has just enough staying power.

doesn't sink into lines in the lips or anything gross. when it does wear off, it barely leaves a trace (but it does so in an even way that makes it look like you're just gorgeous and flushed.)

i actually wear this stuff to mass, of all the places, and recognize the hunk of irony behind wearing this concept lipstick to mass (hah!) i feel weird wearing a "real" lipstick to my church, so this kind of does the trick and makes me look made up without looking "made up". not really my lips at all, but better!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is a good PIGMENTED TINTED LIP BALM. I put that in caps because some reviewers are saying this is a great red lipstick, but lipstick it is not. Now, I love red lipsticks, but I love the vintage-looking, 1940s-esque matte reds. So that's what I think of when I hear/read "red lipstick". This is more like a Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment in Cherry or Passion, which are both red shades (Cherry is a little brighter, more of a popsicle-red, whereas Passion is a little deeper and closer to Medieval). However, this doesn't have the yummy taste/smell of those, so if you're looking for a sheer-ish red balm at a high price, I'd choose one of those over this - Medieval is definitely going for an unfragranced vibe, but something is off and mine is kind of chemical-esque (although it does wear off after 15-30 minutes). Perhaps mine is a little bit old which could possibly account for that, but since I'm very sensitive to smells, it's a little off-putting (a friend gave it to me because she didn't love it, that's why I'm not sure how old my particular tube is).

I gave 3 stars, but I really feel it's more like 3.5. I love the deep color and metallic feel of the packaging and I find that the lid stays pretty secure, which is nice (although I have to say I like Fresh's packaging better; I like that you have to screw the lid on and off, and I like that it the shape of the product is flat like a balm and not slanted like a lipstick/Medieval). Staying power of Medieval is so-so, about an hour or two which is on par for a balm. However, I don't think it's as good as other options for the price, and wouldn't buy myself a second tube.

If you're looking for a cheap drugstore tinted lip balm, I recommend Maybelline's Dr. Rescue Baby Lips; the most pigmented in the line is Soothing Sorbet and is kind of a pinky-red and reminds me of Medieval in the texture and staying power. That line of Baby Lips has eucalyptus in it so it'll kind of smell/taste like that, but I don't mind. The original Baby Lips are also well-pigmented and there's a red in there (Cherry Me), I just didn't care for the heavily artificial cherry smell/taste. Revlon's Candy Apple lip butter is also good, except it leans a little more orange-red whereas Medieval is more blue-red.

After reading my review again, it seems like I don't care for Medieval at all, which isn't the case; I just don't feel like it's anything special and that there are better similar products out there at various price points. But if you have it and love it and it's HG for you, that's awesome! It's just not my favorite in its category, although I'm glad I was able to try it and make that decision for myself :)