Lipstick Queen Medieval

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive

3.9

(from packaging): phenyl trimethicone, silica, nylon-12, octyldodecanol, ozokerite, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, methyl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, polyisobutene, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, beeswax (cera alba), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, vegetable oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil, salix nigra (willow) bark extract, actinidia chinensis (kiwi) fruit extract, honey extract, vinis vitefera (grape) fruit extract, camelia oleifera (tea) leaf extract, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, butylene glycol, water (aqua), microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 20, butylparaben, propylparaben, iron oxides (CI 77499). (from website): RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE VEGETABLE OIL EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX BEESWAX (CERA ALBA) ETHYHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE OZOKERITE BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA BUTTER) TOCOPHERYL ACETATE HYROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL LIMANANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL MANGIFERA INDICA (MANGO) SEED BUTTER HYDROGENEATED OLIVE OIL BENZOPHONONE-3 ISOPROPYLPARABEN ISIBUTYLPARABEN BUTYLPARABEN IRON OXIDES 77491 IRON OXIDES 77492 IRON OXIDES 77499 RED 7 LAKE 15850 RED 33 LAKE 17200 YELLOW 5 LAKE 19140

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I live in tropical Darwin and can be walking around outside throughout the workday in 30* C without a handbag, so I need to be able to have a lipstick in my pocket. Medieval survives the day! Not only does it survive it gives a great sheer flush of natural deep pink to my lips. Which has surprising staying power. Definitely much better than a balm.

I have also used it over sinner pink and it deepens the pink to a warm, rosey shade with a touch of shine.

Thank you Poppy I am so happy you are back.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

This is a good PIGMENTED TINTED LIP BALM. I put that in caps because some reviewers are saying this is a great red lipstick, but lipstick it is not. Now, I love red lipsticks, but I love the vintage-looking, 1940s-esque matte reds. So that's what I think of when I hear/read "red lipstick". This is more like a Fresh Sugar Tinted Lip Treatment in Cherry or Passion, which are both red shades (Cherry is a little brighter, more of a popsicle-red, whereas Passion is a little deeper and closer to Medieval). However, this doesn't have the yummy taste/smell of those, so if you're looking for a sheer-ish red balm at a high price, I'd choose one of those over this - Medieval is definitely going for an unfragranced vibe, but something is off and mine is kind of chemical-esque (although it does wear off after 15-30 minutes). Perhaps mine is a little bit old which could possibly account for that, but since I'm very sensitive to smells, it's a little off-putting (a friend gave it to me because she didn't love it, that's why I'm not sure how old my particular tube is).

I gave 3 stars, but I really feel it's more like 3.5. I love the deep color and metallic feel of the packaging and I find that the lid stays pretty secure, which is nice (although I have to say I like Fresh's packaging better; I like that you have to screw the lid on and off, and I like that it the shape of the product is flat like a balm and not slanted like a lipstick/Medieval). Staying power of Medieval is so-so, about an hour or two which is on par for a balm. However, I don't think it's as good as other options for the price, and wouldn't buy myself a second tube.

If you're looking for a cheap drugstore tinted lip balm, I recommend Maybelline's Dr. Rescue Baby Lips; the most pigmented in the line is Soothing Sorbet and is kind of a pinky-red and reminds me of Medieval in the texture and staying power. That line of Baby Lips has eucalyptus in it so it'll kind of smell/taste like that, but I don't mind. The original Baby Lips are also well-pigmented and there's a red in there (Cherry Me), I just didn't care for the heavily artificial cherry smell/taste. Revlon's Candy Apple lip butter is also good, except it leans a little more orange-red whereas Medieval is more blue-red.

After reading my review again, it seems like I don't care for Medieval at all, which isn't the case; I just don't feel like it's anything special and that there are better similar products out there at various price points. But if you have it and love it and it's HG for you, that's awesome! It's just not my favorite in its category, although I'm glad I was able to try it and make that decision for myself :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was so excited to get this lippy. But it didn't quite live up to my expectations. I will say the color is gorgeous on me. I have light/medium warm skin and my lips have slightly more natural pigment than a corpse, Medieval shows up beautifully with several swipes across my lips, and looks like a berry red. I also like the balm like texture and the fact that it has no scent or flavor. Unfortunately, once it wears off, my lips are a bit drier than before. And it wears off very quickly, even with no eating or drinking. Given the many moisturizing ingredients, I was surprised that my lips feel so dry after wearing. So while I do love the color, this is one I won't be purchasing again.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I wanted to love this because of its awesome packaging and concept. It's exactly the kind of look that I like, that sexy bitten lip. Unfortunately, this color really doesn't suit everyone. I suspect it's suited to pale skinned women. I am right in the middle of the skin tone spectrum, olive, with warm undertones and barely pigmented lips. This color barely registered on my lips.. it was so faint and light that it didn't really flatter me. I wanted to love it, though. I give this 5 lippies for packaging.

For darker skinned women, I'd recommend the Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in "Passion." I actually bumped this down to 2 Lippies because it's marketed as "the red that anyone can wear" and that's simply not true (common sense tells us that there isn't a single color that everyone can wear, anyway).

My lips are quite red naturally, and I have spent years trying to find a colour that looks natural, and this is fantastic. During the day it is quite sheer but it can be made to be more of a statement if you want. The blurb on the back says that it will give you that just bitten lip look and that is really what it looks like on me. I have some other lipsticks by Poppy but this is my absolute must have and I really want to buy another so I can have one on my dressing room table and one in my bag

I want a natural lip stained color with no shimmer or texture. I read about this product in a “top 10 must have’s” Beauty column. I ordered this from the Beauty Queens web-site and had it within 7 days. I am very pleasantly surprised. It does exactly what was advertised. It glides on easy, leaves no shimmer or texture, just a hint of color with the slightest sheen. On my lips, the red color is brighter rather than deep. Not a deep red like the stick color would have you think. I find it moisturizing and apply one layer, blot and another layer and blot. My lips look natural.

Great sheer red and is buildable too. I am afraid of red lipsticks since I am pale with dark hair. They tend to make me look too clowny or too vampire. This one is sheer and 1 coat looks like a natural but rosier lip or several coats can look more intense. It wears well and is moisturizing. Like the reviewer below, most reddish tints or stains tend to go pink or me or wear unevenly but this wears nicely and can work for every day. The price is a bit high but the quality is great. The only comparable color and moisturizing wear I have found is Korres Wild Rose lip butter but you have to get your fingers dirty with that one since it is in a pot. I like the lipstick packaging of this tint since it is easier to carry and more sanitary. Great color for us pale girls who are chicken sh*t when it comes to a red lippie:)

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Yes, it's a beautiful color and almost universal, or as near to it as anything I've encountered. Yes, the packaging is a delight. But...yes, it's a glorified $20 USD lip balm. And it feathers like crazy.

The product itself is quite soft, as lippies go, and it wears down quickly on application. It's not long-lasting on the lips, so that's repeated applications during the day. For less money I'd accept that, but not at this price and certainly not with add-to-the-cost packaging that gets thrown away. I'm glad I tried it, but once is enough for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This product is basically overpriced tinted lip balm. It feels nice and emollient and gives a pinkish color that overwhelms my heavily pigmented pink lips.

My pet peeve is that the bullet is not firmly planted in the base. This causes the lipstick to lean when I'm applying it. I can see the indentations where it gets pushed into the side of the tube. This makes me paranoid that it's going to snap off while I'm applying it. I think that since it's such a delicate product, it might not be appropriate to have it in a metal tube.

Overall, kind of a bummer since I really wanted to love this. continued >>

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Absolutely. Gorgeous.

After reading about it, and writing about what I'd read about it, I finally got around to trying it. It took me a while, as I'd been using some very nice Cliniques of which I'm fond. That's my excuse. Tried it, loved it, got it.

The colour is the main thing that strikes you. It looks red in the tube. Applies pinkish-red, a sheer wash. Once on, it's one of these YLBB rosey tints, like Clinique's Black Honey (but less plum-brown than it), or various Stila ones, and many many others ... but nicer. It does indeed "lift" you, that's the only single-word description for it. Looks slightly different in different lights: but basically a pink tint with a hint of red. Pic at end of review.

Claims to be a "universal shade that suits every skin tone." No guarantees on that for everyone, but it's good with pale slightly freckled skin, with red hair and grey-green eyes. And if it works even for low-incidence statistics like me, that's a pretty good test. And gets my thumbs up either for caring enough to test it out and make sure it works on Us Freaks, or for the sheer genius of a theory working in practice.

Good wear for the colour, especially compared to Black Honey. Beautiful feel: moist without being slick or greasy, glossy but not shiny, no gloopy stickiness. Neither flavour nor scent, just Good Stuff. And I'm afraid it's replacing the Black Honey for me.

Costs USD 20.00 / EUR 23.00 (grrr...) / GBP 16.15. Ireland: available (only???) from Harvey Nichols @ Dundrum; UK, from Space.NK. The price isn't disastrous, as there are many good lipsticks out there for at least this price, and the other stains I'd tried don't last as well. No fragrance, no animal testing, gluten-free, and (might be helpful for some) no bismuth oxychloride / CL 77163 (the Saints and Sinners contain it; Medieval, the Oxymorons, Shines, and Black Tie don't).

INGREDIENTS: phenyl trimethicone, silica, nylon-12, octyldodecanol, ozokerite, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, methyl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, polyisobutene, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, beeswax (cera alba), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, vegetable oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil, salix nigra (willow) bark extract, actinidia chinensis (kiwi) fruit extract, honey extract, vinis vitefera (grape) fruit extract, camelia oleifera (tea) leaf extract, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, butylene glycol, water (aqua), microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 20, butylparaben, propylparaben, iron oxides (CI 77499).

(NB echoing ClariceD observation: difference between ingredients lists on packaging and website - maybe also between versions, and versions for different markets in different countries. Who knows. It's still gorgeous.)

Comparison of Gingerrama-approved lippies for everyday redhead use:
continued >>