Lipstick Queen Medieval

4.3

(from packaging): phenyl trimethicone, silica, nylon-12, octyldodecanol, ozokerite, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, methyl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, polyisobutene, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, beeswax (cera alba), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, vegetable oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil, salix nigra (willow) bark extract, actinidia chinensis (kiwi) fruit extract, honey extract, vinis vitefera (grape) fruit extract, camelia oleifera (tea) leaf extract, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, butylene glycol, water (aqua), microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 20, butylparaben, propylparaben, iron oxides (CI 77499). (from website): RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE VEGETABLE OIL EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX BEESWAX (CERA ALBA) ETHYHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE OZOKERITE BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA BUTTER) TOCOPHERYL ACETATE HYROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL LIMANANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL MANGIFERA INDICA (MANGO) SEED BUTTER HYDROGENEATED OLIVE OIL BENZOPHONONE-3 ISOPROPYLPARABEN ISIBUTYLPARABEN BUTYLPARABEN IRON OXIDES 77491 IRON OXIDES 77492 IRON OXIDES 77499 RED 7 LAKE 15850 RED 33 LAKE 17200 YELLOW 5 LAKE 19140

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is from the LIPSTICK QUEEN line. It is called Medieval because Poppy King used the ancient method of squeezing lemon juice on the lips to cause irritation and make the lips look pink and full. This lipstick looks a deep red in the tube but comes out very sheer and slightly shiney on the lips. It feels lovely and moisturizing with a nice slip to it. It actually looks like you've had a really good make out session with someone who was a really good kisser, or as the english would say, you had a lovely snog with someone. This is one of those that is billed as one "everyone" can wear. I don't know about that but for a PPP with bluish eyes and red hair, it gives me that Botticelli lip, full and pink and lucious. It is $20 USD for the standard bullet tube, available on Poppy King's website.

I really like Medieval. A lot. But after my divorce, I was unable to afford spending over twenty dollars on what is basically a tinted balm...even if it is a really perfect color and consistency. It is not a lipstick, and can be swept onto the lips without a mirror. If I'm able to afford it again, I may purchase it as a splurge when I run out of my last tube, but I have found that a good sweep of lip balm and a very light touch of NYC Ultra Moist Lipwear in Sheer Red is just about a perfect match. Not as convenient, but at 1/22 the price, I'll take it. If the price is not a concern, though, Medieval is great!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This is what I've always wanted for everyday wear, but was never able to find: a sheer red lip color that looks natural, is comfortable, and lasts a long time. Until now I haven't found a lip color that has met each of those characteristics in one product. I've tried BeneTint, Tarte, LipTini, Bare Escentuals, and the list goes on. The closest I'd come is Fresh Sugar Rose (spf 15), and I've been using it for over a year. I love it, but to be utterly perfect I wanted something with more concentrated pigment. With Fresh, the moisture lasts for hours, but the color doesn't last as long. Medieval is everything I wanted and more. The color is absolutey gorgeous. It can look like "my lips but better", or it can look more dramatic, depending upon how many layers I choose to add. It's extremely moisturizing, (right up there with Fresh), but it is unscented and tasteless. It's so natural-looking, that even up close it's hard to to tell that I have any enhancement on my lips. It's like a very light, soft balm that leaves a soft wash of stain that's visible 6-7 hours after application. It plumps my lips, fills in dryness, and makes my lips look smooth and flawless. Best of all, it doesn't creep off my lips like many other lip colors. I don't need any sort of liner or topper for it. I'd buy this if it came in a brown bag, but, serendipitously, it comes in a beautiful, rich crimson lipstick case that looks classy, yet interesting. The tarot-looking card (it's not a Tarot card) that comes with the lipstick is a fun stimulus for my inner eccentric. The descriptions of the symbolism on Lipstick Queen's website paint a pretty grim picture, but I suppose they're meant to convey the popular philosophies of certain people-groups during Medieval times. The whole idea reminds me of the concepts behind the Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs perfume oils, and I just LOVE it. I'm a complete sucker for artistic quirkiness, so the little cards that come with Lipstick Queen lipstick make me enjoy it even more! It's been said hundreds of times, but I'll say it again: Medieval is an amazing product. It's truly top-notch, and one-of-a-kind. I sincerely believe Poppy King when she says she "listens" so she knows what customers want from their lip products. So many of us have been wearing glosses for years because we were afraid of looking at our reflections in the mirror and seeing our Nanas (sans the blonde wig and drawn-on eyebrows, hopefully). Lipstick Queen lipsticks give me an entirely new and positive view of lipstick, and I'm having a ball learning how many colors I actually can wear!

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I finally purchased this from Ulta last weekend, after having tested it on my hand several times in the past couple of months. I'm not quite sure why I finally decided to purchase Medieval, but I am ever so happy that I did! Not only is this an excellent "everyday red," it is also quite long-lasting, moisturizing, and comfortable to wear. I've always been a sucker for lip products (and have purchased nearly every form from low-end to high-end over the decades), but I must say this is truly my favorite. The hue is a subtle and natural red flush, not something that screams out that I'm wearing lipstick. I love the tube itself, although I kind of wish it didn't have "Lipstick Queen" emblazoned upon it. Like others have said, the packaging artwork is quite intriguing, too.

When I glide this lovely lip stain across my lips, the effect it gives calls to mind one of my favorite paintings from 1893, "La Belle Dame Sans Merci," by John William Waterhouse. If you've never seen the painting, you should Google it. The pre-Raphaelite artist painted an intimate scene in which we find an ethereally beautiful young lady who is passionately gazing into the eyes of a knight, her flushed lips are slightly parted to receive a kiss from her chosen suitor. This particular artist often painted scenes which had been based upon famous poems, and most of his paintings feature what I consider to be a standard of beauty, where the glow of the subject shines, not as a result of the cosmetics she wore to enhance her features. Wear this gorgeous lipstick, and that same effect shall certainly be yours!

This lip product seems to perfectly cover the lipbalm/liptint/lipcolour genre, and it looks so beautiful!

The product is a proper lipstick bullet in a wonderfully glamorous red case, and the bullet is a very dense slightly cherryish red. On my lips it comes out a tad more red than I would like, and the red on my lips is a bit more warm strawberry than cool cherry or even cool raspberry.

It is a buildable colour, but I prefer to give it a light layer, there is no taste or smell.

I have noticed a slight staining after a snack, but really this is a balm with a tint, rather than a stain.

What I love is the feel of it on the lips, it really is very moisturising without being sticky or slimey, and that moisturising feeling does last.

It is very expensive - on a par with NARS lipsticks at around the 17 in UK and is only available from SpaceNK at the moment, and I am not entirely sure that it is the best colour for me, it is certainly not a MLBB colour, and it has more than a hint of the colour my lips go if I've eaten a good chilli ie that sort of orange/red tint. When I put it on, however sheerly there is a definate colour on my lips.

As a comparison, Lipsmackers Dr Pepper is sheerer than this but is the same hue, Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey is more of a coca cola colour ie more brown.

But I love it and have splurged on backups (note the plural), I used to always wear red lipstick and this is a nod to that time, without the fantastic level of upkeep.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is one of my absolute favorite lip products.
It's a red that I can actually wear without having it completely overwhelm the rest of my face.
I am quite pale-skinned, and most lipsticks (or glosses, etc.) show up quite bright on my lips. For a long time, I virtually never wore anything on my lips, because I preferred to play with colors and shades on my eyes.
More recently, I have been finding some lip shades that I actually like wearing. It's been fun trying very minimal makeup on my eyes and the rest of my face, but then adding a bit of color on my lips. Medieval is perfect for this sort of look.

Medieval is what I would call a "lip tint". I have heard it (incorrectly) referred to as a lip stain a couple times, but while the color does last a surprisingly long time for such a sheer tint, it does not stain the lips.

This lipstick feels light, and moisturizing on the lips. If you have very dry lips (like me) you might want something moisturizing under or over Medieval, because while it's not drying, it doesn't add moisture the way a lip balm or moisturizing lip treatment does.

In terms of color, Medieval will look different on different people because it is so sheer. Basically if you imagine your natural lip color, and then add just a touch of a bright but very sheer red, that's Medieval. My lips are pinkish, and lightly pigmented. Applied lightly, Medieval leaves my lips looking a brighter, slightly redder and brighter pink color, which is healthy-looking, and flattering, but not high-impact. If I layer Medieval onto my lips, it moves closer to actually looking like a red, but it doesn't become an opaque color (if you're looking for that, you want Lipstick Queen's sinner range of lipsticks).

I haven't found that it's necessary at all to wear lip liner along with Medieval. I think unless you have a lot of trouble with lipsticks bleeding, or unless you prefer a really sharply defined lip line, you really don't need lip liner. Despite this, as a somewhat less experienced lipstick wearer, I like to line my lips with Lipstick Queen's Invisible Lip Liner before applying Medieval. This is mostly because sometimes I forget about my lipstick and accidentally smear it (the liner just lets me worry less, Medieval does a good job of staying in place).

The packaging is excellent. The dark red metal tube feels luxurious and special. It's distinctive, and just a bit different from everything else out there. Having such awesome packaging adds a bit to the feeling of glamor that goes along with all of Lipstick Queen's products.

I totally love Medieval, and it's raised my lipstick standards. Now that I've experienced perfection, I'm not willing to settle for anything less!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Absolutely. Gorgeous.

After reading about it, and writing about what I'd read about it, I finally got around to trying it. It took me a while, as I'd been using some very nice Cliniques of which I'm fond. That's my excuse. Tried it, loved it, got it.

The colour is the main thing that strikes you. It looks red in the tube. Applies pinkish-red, a sheer wash. Once on, it's one of these YLBB rosey tints, like Clinique's Black Honey (but less plum-brown than it), or various Stila ones, and many many others ... but nicer. It does indeed "lift" you, that's the only single-word description for it. Looks slightly different in different lights: but basically a pink tint with a hint of red. Pic at end of review.

Claims to be a "universal shade that suits every skin tone." No guarantees on that for everyone, but it's good with pale slightly freckled skin, with red hair and grey-green eyes. And if it works even for low-incidence statistics like me, that's a pretty good test. And gets my thumbs up either for caring enough to test it out and make sure it works on Us Freaks, or for the sheer genius of a theory working in practice.

Good wear for the colour, especially compared to Black Honey. Beautiful feel: moist without being slick or greasy, glossy but not shiny, no gloopy stickiness. Neither flavour nor scent, just Good Stuff. And I'm afraid it's replacing the Black Honey for me.

Costs USD 20.00 / EUR 23.00 (grrr...) / GBP 16.15. Ireland: available (only???) from Harvey Nichols @ Dundrum; UK, from Space.NK. The price isn't disastrous, as there are many good lipsticks out there for at least this price, and the other stains I'd tried don't last as well. No fragrance, no animal testing, gluten-free, and (might be helpful for some) no bismuth oxychloride / CL 77163 (the Saints and Sinners contain it; Medieval, the Oxymorons, Shines, and Black Tie don't).

INGREDIENTS: phenyl trimethicone, silica, nylon-12, octyldodecanol, ozokerite, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, methyl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, polyisobutene, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, beeswax (cera alba), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, vegetable oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil, salix nigra (willow) bark extract, actinidia chinensis (kiwi) fruit extract, honey extract, vinis vitefera (grape) fruit extract, camelia oleifera (tea) leaf extract, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, butylene glycol, water (aqua), microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 20, butylparaben, propylparaben, iron oxides (CI 77499).

(NB echoing ClariceD observation: difference between ingredients lists on packaging and website - maybe also between versions, and versions for different markets in different countries. Who knows. It's still gorgeous.)

Comparison of Gingerrama-approved lippies for everyday redhead use:
continued >>

This is great ! I am self-conscious about getting older looking, and how "mask-like" some lipsticks can me look now: what can look lovely on a younger woman can be so seriously off-putting when one gets older, and this lipstick is nourishing, with a natural stain: it is so much nicer to see "lips" not lipstick: a fresher and lighter appearance. I'd rather concentrate on eyes and good skin with great foundation as I get older, than continually trying to find a lipstick that "lasts", or isn't "drying", or a variety of colors that never really do it for me....btw I am extremely fair skinned, and this is still soft looking, even though red/blushed. The big thing for me is: I still miss Bobbi Brown original lip stains, or whatever they were called: Medieval reminds me of these ! The newer ones are just slippery lipsticks with little of a "stain".

I have a very hard time finding flattering lipsticks - I'm 62; dark lipsticks look harsh and aging, pale lipsticks leave me looking washed out. Lipstick Queen in Medieval is one of the few lipsticks I've tried that's actually wearable. It's the only one I've found that's MLBB, and the only one I can wear with red clothing. The only catch is that it darkens quite a bit by an hour after I've applied it, so I apply very lightly. Also, I can't get away with wearing this lipstick and no other makeup - I definitely have to wear blush, or it looks a little harsh. Finally, it looks and feels better on me with a topcoat of clear gloss or balm.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Please click "Continued" below for pics and swatches

Would I buy this again? yes, a million times, yes! i love it dearly.

COLOR: This is a true looking red in the tube, and it goes on very sheer and appears as a sweet slightly warm red on the lips. I would call this color the red for people who don't wear red. For those who aren't adverse to bold lips, it's a MLBB bitten type look. it's got enough pow that you can wear it with a light eye look, and you can still rock it with a dramatic eye.

TEXTURE: The application is silky and smooth, and very sheer yet buildable. It's almost like a gel and feels amazing on the lips. I don't think it's overly moisturizing, but it's definitely not drying whatsoever.

PACKAGING: This comes in a red brushed metal case. you can see photos of it below. It's distinctive for sure and seems sort of elegant to me. the outer carton seems a little cheap, looks almost like a blister pack you'd find at the drug store but the illustration is very cool. the outer carton never really bothers me, and the tube itself is really nice.

WEAR: This does not have the best wear, it sticks decently well but definitely is pretty emollient so it will wear off within an hour or two.

PRICE: $20 USD for this product doesn't bother me at all, it's just that great.

OVERALL: I can't talk this product up enough. I have a freaking storage unit's worth of lip products and still want a backup of this. i don't have a backup of a single other lip color so I think that says a lot. This is the desert island lip color, goes with absolutely everything.

continued >>