NYX Professional Makeup Powder Blush - Taupe [DISCONTINUED]

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I use this (like almost everyone on here) as a contouring powder, and for the price it's hard to beat. First, I'm surprised to read reviews saying it's good for fair but not for tan/darker skin tones? In my opinion I would say the exact opposite. It's the exact colour of a natural shadow, and looks great on my NC40 skin. The product can be tricky to master. I agree it can be patchy/muddy/too harsh. The trick is to use a CLEAN brush (you don't need to wash the brush each time, just swipe on hand or tissue to get rid of residue on the bristles). Start with a really light hand and little product, because it can look muddy real fast. I apply this before bronzer and blush for a more muted look. Also, I find its really easy to go overboard with this (a little goes a long way ppl), but you can take away the harshness blending it in with bronzer and/or blush. Bottom line: if you think the colour is right for your skin, I recommend trying it. It's cheap! Can't go wrong with a VERY light sweep and lots of blending, but be prepared to practice and figure out what works for you.

not for nc25 ladies. Barely any colour shows up and it's kinda hard to blend. I prefer my inglot sculpting powder as compared to this

So hard to blend out, and it had a very strong red undertone on the skin. I didn't get that "super natural" grey-brown contour from this. I have a medium complexion & used this on my nose and cheeks and looked god awful.

Packaging sucks, was too expensive for what it was on Amazon (nearly $10). I don't know if they reformulated this, or I got a bad batch, but I would not recommend this to anyone.

on 12/17/2015 3:58:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Not a game changer for me BUT I will still get some use out of it. I have a medium skin tone so this is a little light for me. Plus, I found it hard to build up to get color on my skin tone. It is also, ssoooo powdery!? Is this new to NYX blushes? I have other colors in the older packaging that are delightful but this one just dusted up something fierce. Wet n Wild has a contour palette that works very well for me that is about the same price but has a highlight shade. I will save this blush for a no makeup look. It is nothing to write home about. But I had to try it! MUA made me do it! 😄

on 3/22/2015 7:39:00 PM

I have this shade in both original and HD formula. It's a very cool tone, grey taupe. For my NC25-30 it works awesome as a contour shade. I would never wear this as a blush. The original isnt very light in pigmentation but build-able. It looks like it was have a sheen but it's matte. The HD kicks up more powder and is more pigmented. You can still get a light/day contour and a dramatic/night contour. It's my HG contour

on 1/26/2014 7:44:00 AM

They reformulated this blush and it's much more pigmented but now it's way too ashy for my nc40 skin tone.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Purchased for contouring purposes. I'm a bit torn. The color is great, it works well for my skin tone which is light and prefers neutrals and cooler toned color products. I just expected way more pigment. I mean maybe that is a good thing? It is kind of impossible to go overboard, but I feel like it takes way more effort to get the look that I want out of this. Due to the lighter pigment, it is good for a really natural contoured look... if you want something more dramatic this is definitely not it. I wish I could find a color like this that was more pigmented. I am sure such a product exists but I am too lazy to hunt it down currently.

I did notice the reddish tones if you layer it on. That's a little confusing because it is not something you pick up when looking at the product. I am thinking that my beauty blender-esque sponge is not the best vehicle for getting this on my face since it absorbs way too much of the product and leaves me needing to layer it on to get more of a contour effect... I am going to try a brush or something and see if I am happier with it applied in that manner. I did use a smaller brush to contour my nose with this and it was definitely more pigmented than using the sponge and created more of a contouring effect.

Right now I feel that this is an average product. I will need to play around with it some more to see if fulfills my basic contouring needs.

on 2/3/2013 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

NC30 bought this to contour. It looked unnatural and had a greyish/orangeish tint to it. Ended up just tossing it because I couldn't get it to work for me.
Tip for those who want NYX and don't have an ULTA by them and don't mind ordering online: order from Ebay. They often have pick 2 or 3 shades and you save a little bit of money. This goes for eyeshadow, eyeliner, blush, etc.

on 11/30/2012 2:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

It has only been a week, but I already cannot live without this blush. I bought it thinking I would only take the time to contour my nose and cheekbones for special occasions. Well, this product is so easy to use and foolproof that I have been applying it on a daily basis.

The colour payoff is a lot less than I expected from looking at the pan. This is GREAT because it's why it works so well for people of different skin colours. I use NYX HD Foundation and Concealer in a Pot in 'medium', and Taupe is a perfect contouring shade. I use an angled eyeshadow brush and do 2 swipes over the pan (1 each side) before applying.

I do one line on either side of my nose, and one under each cheekbone. The angled brush lets me get a fine line in the nose area (to be blended out later). I do 2 applications per area: the first application is faint on my darker skin, but is still visible, so I can see if I don't like where I've put it! The second application intensifies the colour to the point where it would be noticeable if I don't blend it out. I use the same brush to blend outward in 4 or 5 quick swipes.

I am a very lazy person when it comes to makeup in the morning, but this blush is so foolproof, it adds seconds to my morning routine. The colour doesn't fade throughout the day, and I am careful to pat and not swipe with my touch-up powder throughout the day. By the end of a 14-hour day, the edges of the contour lines may have "bled" a little to be less defined, but nothing a quick finger swipe wouldn't fix!

I ordered this off Cherry Culture for $4.50 CAD (doesn't include shipping). This is much cheaper than the $8.99 CAD local drugstores and grocery stores were going to charge me! Even with the addition of shipping, it comes out to be more economical to order it online (unless you get a lucky customs check!). However, Canadians looking for the product to swatch can find it at select Save-on-Foods and London Drugs. Lastly, NYX doesn't test on animals - a final plus!

on 11/5/2012 11:19:00 AM

I pined over this blush forever, but when I finally got my hands on it, it turned out to be such a dud.

I'm very warm and I think this is just too cool-toned for me. It looks like I got punched in the cheeks when I wear it.

I also don't like how poorly it blends. It's so splotchy no matter how much I blend.