John Frieda Luxurious Volume

3.0

on 1/16/2016 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This review is for the Touchably Full version. I use it with the matching conditioner and love it! It's the only volumizing shampoo I have ever tried that actually helps with volume. It definitely makes my hair look thicker and gives the impression of more volume. It hasn't stripped or dried out my hair in any way, though I only use it about once a week (I try to wash my hair every other day and use a different shampoo/conditioner each time). I really like the way my hair feels and looks after using these products (super clean, soft and shiny, with balance) and am actually preferring this to my Kerastase Cristalliste.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Does a fine job of adding volume to my hair but it also feels stripped of moisture and it causes me to noticeably shed a lot of hair! What's the deal with that? I've always had fine hair and it does tend to fall out. But never so noticeably after washing. Then I look at the ingredients on the bottle, and there's some major sulfates and drying alcohols in it! My hair looks okay, but screw that. I am worried about the shedding and the harsh ingredients. I will not even be finishing these bottles.

To Read all 38 Reviews, Login or Join

on 8/8/2015 10:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I got a sample of this with the matching conditionner in the mail. It's just an ok pair of products, I'm not really impressed by it but It's not a bad product either. It's just ok for me. Not worth repurchasing thought.

on 2/20/2015 11:36:00 PM

Bought this and the conditioner because I wanted to try a new volumizing routine.
It definitely worked to help with volume but after one use I developed a rash. My scalp was itching like crazy and my body. I realized it has sulphates in it which makes my skin crawl... Yikes!

If sulphates don't bother you and you're looking for a volumizing shampoo, give it a try. Otherwise steer clear of this stuff!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is an odd review for me to write. I bought this product accidentally. Rather, my husband bought it accidentally. Regardless, I gave both this shampoo and the matching conditioner a try.

My hair is thick, coarse, and fluffy. In fact, I use products to skinny it down. I guess I just wanted to see how a volumizing shampoo would effect it. So, I lathered up, rinsed, slathered on the conditioner, finished my shower, rinsed again. I did not deviate from my normal routine. I did go with my naturally curly hair that day, which isn't unusual.

After blow drying with a diffuser, I noticed that my hair was enormous. Super full. A gorgeous lion's mane of curls. Too big for my taste, granted, but I was impressed. I gave both shampoo and conditioner to my ten-year-old, fine-haired daughter, who loves it and enjoys her thicker hair.

on 11/12/2014 2:09:00 PM

I was experiencing some hair loss due to stress (my doctor's diagnosis). Wanted volume back. Bought the John Frieda volume shampoo, conditioner, and mousse. I'm not sure which product caused it, or maybe it was all of them, but my hair loss increased three-fold when I started using these products. And, no increased volume. My hair just laid flat, with no texture or sheen. Stopped using all of the products. My increased hair loss has subsided and hair has gotten its texture andshine back. Threw everything in the trash. Will never buy again.

Pros: Does volumize (fair job), lathers very well, no obnoxious fragrance (in fact, no detectable fragrance at all)

Con: Probably too drying for very frequent use

This shampoo is pretty average---it does do a fairly decent job of adding volume (and I have very fine hair), but the cost is that it does seem to dry hair out. It's not as excessively drying as some volumizing shampoos, but I really miss the "Brilliant Brunette Shine Release Volumizing Shampoo." That one always gave me great results, but unfortunately I can only find the moisturizing Brilliant Brunette line (and that's definitely not what I want).

Overall, this is a decent shampoo and not expensive. But it will not likely be a HG shampoo, and there are bound to be better volumizing shampoos out there.

It is an average shampoo. Could not notice any extra volume provided. Yet doesn't strip my hair or make it too dry. No particular smell detected. Creates a decent amount of foam.

on 2/24/2014 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Can a shampoo and conditioner pair give you a forehead full of acne? YES.

This John Frieda shampoo and conditioner Luxurious Volume pair gave me a raging case of acne all over my forehead. I had explosive whiteheads, large pimples and blocked pores. My skin was obviously blocked from one, or more, of the ingredients in this shampoo.

I threw it out and would NEVER buy it again.

I don't have any existing acne or pimple problem, and haven't had any breakouts for the last 20 years.

It took several months and an expensive doctor's prescription of acne medication to clear my skin. I was totally embarassed by my suddenly totally zitty forehead and it took almost 3 months for the pimple marks to disappear.

What kind of a chemical bath is this stuff?

Holy grail. I always keep this shampoo on hand. Whenever I want a simple and basic shampoo that just gets the job done, I reach for this. The Luxurious Volume shampoo and conditioner leave my hair soft and fluffy.. Just absolutely weightless. I love it. If you are someone that has hair prone to build up or gets oily quick, this set is for you!