Shiseido Benefiance Pure Retinol Instant Treatment Eye Mask

Shiseido  Benefiance Pure Retinol Instant Treatment Eye Mask

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Heavily fragranced, contains alcohol and pretty high on the ingredients list - not every alcohol is bad, but the type of the alcohol is not named.

One star is mostly because of its ridiculous price. There are retinol products out there, like retinol moisturizers, without fragrance, lasts for a longer time and cheaper than these masks considering how long they last. I'm generally not a fan of paper masks as they work exactly the same as moisturizers/serums, the only difference is instead of applying the cream/serum with your fingers, you apply it with paper, so while they can be fun, they are not necessary or better than a moisturizer/serum.

Even on the box of this mask it's advised to use 2-4 days a week. There are only 12 masks in the box for $63 in the USA, more expensive in some other countries like mine. If you were to use the masks three times a week, the box would last only a month. There are definitely cheaper alternatives that are better.

My experience with the product is, I saw absolutely no difference on my fine lines or anything else after using it twice a week for two weeks. It also gave me a single milia.

P.S. While I can believe some people might see some good results even after the first use, some positive reviews on MUA about this product gave me the "I guess either they see what they want to see, or they had dehydrated skin" suspicion. Retinol is the only scientifically proven ingredient that might help to reduce the look of your wrinkles. HOWEVER, google it and you'll see yourself, it is said the difference (if you will see any) generally starts to show itself after 3-6 months. Even if we assumed it might work faster on some people, it just cannot work as fast as "I used it once or twice, and noticed a difference." Which makes me suspect some good reviewers here either saw what they wanted to see, or they had dehydrated skin and any good moisturizer would temporarily reduce the apperance of wrinkles - dry skin can make your lines appear more afterall.

on 1/6/2013 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Useless.

on 11/4/2017 11:06:00 AM

Shiseido's Benefiance WrinkleResist24 "Pure" Retinol Instant Smoothing Treatment Eye Mask (man that is quite a mouthful!) was one of the first skincare products that really wowed me. Immediately after using it you can tell that your eye area looks flatter and smoother. Unfortunately this effect fades away pretty quickly. The more and more research I did about this product the more I learned that this product really lacks significant beneficial ingredients other than retinol.

This includes a significant amount of fragrance AND denatured alcohol- both which depressingly come BEFORE the actual "pure" retinol which does all the real work. More disappointingly is the fact that this contains several other fragrance ingredients as well. This mask has a cult following, which I was a part of, but you are better off saving your money and investing in a good fragrance and alcohol-free retinol serum.

on 9/17/2016 9:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

well, I was a big Shiseido fan for years - before I discovered Korean skincare brands.
I used this eye mask for years and liked it a lot because there weren't any effective retinol products on the market at all. Although I always thought the price tag was horrendous.

About two years ago they changed the formula of the ingredients and since that time, the 12 pieces-pack is even more expensive and it is now heavily fragranced.
Positive about this: yes, it does work around the eye area - moderately. It's not bad, but since it has that much frangrance in it I don't like it much anymore.

But the reason this only gets two lippies from me is that there are about 30 Korean skincare brands who offer fantastic under-eye retinol masks which work a lot better and cost comparably nothing - and the ingredients are better. (and as an add-on not unimportant for me: Korean skincare brands are mostly without animal testing - Shiseido is one of the brands still doing those tests)

While this Shiseido eye mask has a single pack price of around 9$ (where I live), I can get a way better Korean eye mask for 1-2 dollar per pack.
So, after Shiseido changed the formula, added horrible fragrance, it's super-overpriced, and the Korean brands work so much better I would certainly not repurchase this.

on 1/19/2018 4:50:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I purchased the large box of these eye masks and realized that I’d only used them twice. I started using them again recently and remembered why. They are very messy, don’t absorb readily, and don’t benefit people who already take great care of their eye area. I notice no immediate or long-lasting positive effects or improvement of under-eye darkness or fine lines.

The masks are individually packaged which is a plus. They are both in a tray drenched with the retinol serum which is far more than you’ll need, so I have been putting the excess serum itself on my décolletage. Some people reuse the pads but I think that’s a bad idea since it’s unhygienic. Overall, stick to retinol eye serums and eye cream at night and you’ll have far better (and lasting) results.

on 6/12/2014 3:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I've been having a few late nights studying and my dark circles have just been really bad. I saw the good reviews on this eye mask and thought I would give it go. I agree with the other reviews that this product is really expensive. It was $87 at Myer or David Jones. Even on strawberry net, it is $77 AUD.

I've only tried it once. It did reduce the dark circles a bit and the puffiness but I wouldn't say to a big extent. I don't have wrinkles yet so I can't comment on whether it helps wrinkles. Unlike the other paper masks I use, the material of this mask was thinner but it did stick to the skin tighter? I don't mean that it stuck to the skin that it can't be removed but the skin just felt tighter when I did have the mask on.

I probably wouldn't but this product again given its price and it only worked slightly.

Hmmm...feels great on, but I feel that Retin-A Micro is more effective. I love other Shisheido products and I do like these, I just feel there are better products out there (ie prescription) for your money. However, if you do not tolerate Retin-A Micro well or just can't get a prescription, I would recommend these instead. They are very, very gentle.

on 3/27/2014 10:21:00 AM

This is a very good product. I use it once a week alternating it between SK-II eye mask.

I feel my under eye area is much more firm and hydrate next morning and this is one of the product that I will keep on using.

The packaging is very good and I am totally into it.

on 12/22/2012 4:03:00 PM

This is a really good eye mask, helps with the wrinkles and the dark circles, refreshes the eye area.

on 12/3/2009 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is very expensive and not a miracle work but it is very nice to use. easy and no hassle. soothing and smooth the lines for temporary.
a quick fix at least.