Cortex 1" Flat Iron (Tourmaline Ceramic Plate)

Cortex 1

3.9

This is hands down one of the worst flat irons i have ever used. It snagged my hair and it was warm when it should of been hot and i had to go over my hair multiple times which I'm not okay with bc it makes the process more time consuming. (And more difficult bc i have naturally curly hair) The package is pretty and so is the straightener even though its heavy and looks better than what it really is. I wont be straightening my hair for awhile and never again with this.

I had the silver zebra one with black plates back when I was in college. Prior to picking this up from Marshall's for less than $30, I only had cheap drugstore straighteners to compare this to so I initially thought it was doing a good job. It wasn't until later on when I upgraded my hair appliances that I realized that this really wasn't that great of a product.

It tugged my hair. And although it did straighten my hair, it didn't leave it smooth, shiny and sleek like the flat irons I would purchase afterwards. I remember my hair being dry and still slightly coarse afterwards. I also had a lot of split ends during the time I used this and I'm pretty sure they were at least partially caused by this straightener.

Yes, it's inexpensive. But for the same price, you can get a HerStyler from Amazon which is a far superior product.

on 2/23/2013 11:41:00 PM

I used this on my sisters hair, who has very kinky stubborn, thick hair. I did everything to it, but only this straightner was the answer. I brought this from Tjmaxx for 16 dollars at clearance. Its awesome. it makes your hair shiny, and very nice curls as well.

on 7/3/2014 3:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Not crazy about this flat iron but you get what you pay for. I bought this at Winners for about $45 and it has lasted a few years. With that being said, my hair is medium-thick and it does not get it pin straight and I have to touch it up every morning and my hair gets humid easily and starts to poof out. I find it difficult to curl with this iron also. I'm looking into getting the KQC iron next.

on 11/30/2012 9:58:00 AM

This is a great product to prevent heat damage to your hair. The ceramic plate is gentle on your hair. A very easy product to use. I do use it about 5 times a week and it makes a huge difference to my thick hair. It makes it smooth and not that wild :-) A bit pricy but worth every penny! I love the Cortex brands, they truly sell good quality products.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I was recently using a crappy drugstore ceramic flat iron to straighten my hair until I noticed that it started to give me a ton of split ends! I went to Winners and bought myself a Cortex Platinum Black Series Tourmaline Flat Iron in zebra print for just $39.99 The price is comparable at $90.00. I can start by saying that this flat iron works pretty well on my hair. It makes my hair smoother, shiner, and silkier. I've noticed less split ends in my hair. Overall I think this flat iron is worth the price I payed for. It definetely is not the best, because their are better flat irons out there, and it isn't the worst as well. I reccomend this flat iron to people who are looking for a cheap straightener that causes less damage to hair.

on 5/3/2012 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I bought the Pink Duo (Standard + mini) for $49.99 CAD at Winners...
I've been in the market for a new straightener that heats up to 450F. I currently own the GHD and Sedu (both are great) but wanted something that would give me awesome curls (surround heating) + smooth finish + adjusting heating up to 450.

This caught my eye because the packaging was really nice...very 'expensive' looking and it came with a mini version which is convenient and 'nice to have' and a clip.

CONS:
This sucks. It does not glide down your hair like ceramic plates should...instead it felt like the straightener kept getting 'stuck' as I straightened. The end look was very 'straw-like' and not sleek. The SMELL! This produced a plastic smell as I straightened. This is getting returned asap!

PROS:
Nice colour choices (red/pink/black), adjustable heating, heats up fast

If you're looking for something cheap to get the job done, go for this. But if you want a beautiful finish...spend $50-70 bucks more and get a Babyliss or T3!

on 5/1/2012 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I got this for 39.99 at Winners (the Canadian TJ Maxx, basically) with the normal flat iron and a bonus mini version for travel and small touchups and such. I rarely use the mini version, but it seems to work fine, no issues minus the handle getting a bit too warm during usage. As for the normal flat iron, hot damn, I love it. I don't really have high-maintenance hair to start out with - Asian, thus my hair is naturally straight and sleek and decently shiny - but what this magic straightener does is make it STRAIGHTER and SLEEKER and SHINIER. It's fab, I don't even have to use a shine serum with this, only heat protectant, and my hair comes out glossy and beautiful! It curls my hair excellently as well. A+ iron, especially for the price, get it now instead of spending 100+ for a CHI!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Before I purchased this I was using a cheap Vidal Sassoon straightener that I got for $20. It served the purpose for several years, but I wanted to upgrade. I was excited when I saw this at Winner's for $40, since it can retail for over $100.
The one I have is zebra print. It has many heat settings for any hair type and thickness. My hair has a slight wave, but I have a lot of hair and it's thick, so I usually set it at 350-400 degrees. The straightener heats up really fast, which is great.
This is a really good straightener and much better than my old one. I only have to go over each section of hair once, twice at the most, and my hair is perfectly straight. (with my old straightener I had to go over each section 3 times!). My hair stays straight until the next time I wash it, about every 2 days.
The only complaint I have about this flat iron, is that I have noticed more split ends and breakage since I started using it. If you plan on buying it, make sure you are using a heat protecting product and getting regular trims. Also, try to use it on a lower heat setting if possible.
Overall, I think this is a great product for the money and would most likely buy it again if it broke. If you are thinking of buying it, check Winners because I have seen them there several other times since I bought mine.

I loved how inexpensive this flat iron was. I used to work in a salon and I found that this was about the same quality as the ones we used years ago. However, there has been a lot of developments in this particular type of product since then.
I have lots of VERY fine curly blonde hair and I find that after using this, my hair is in the worst condition it has ever been in. It smells burned permanently until it gets cut off. I think the integrity of my hair has definitely been comprimised.
Not only that, but the heat dial doesn't seem to work and only stays at the highest heat. In order to do my hair I have to repeatedly turn the device off if it gets too hot and on when it's not quite warm enough.
I would not buy this again.

Popular Hair Styling Tools