L'Oreal Paris Bare Naturale Mascara (Black Brown)

Filtered by skin type : Combination
L'Oreal Paris Bare Naturale Mascara (Black Brown)

3.7

This is not my HG mascara, but I do like it a lot overall. Firstly, I fell for this because of the beautiful kinda- not tiger-colored- flame colored tube. L'Oreal gets kudos for appearance. But the packaging itself is very cheap-feeling and made of light plastic. Plus, you don't get much product- only .16 FL OZ., which is just a couple hundredths fluid ounces more than sample mascaras. It has a very fine-bristled wire wand, which I think is the perfect size. No clumps. I do like how much product it dispenses on your lashes- maybe not so much as "Naturale" as maybe a little more dramatic. It gives great length and volume for me in one coat. The color is much more natural-looking, and I do have the one in Black-Brown. Honestly, the color doesn't matter- it makes my lashes stand out, so who cares? It does take a while to get it off, though, which is a chore, even with the washable version. However, because of that, it doesn't flake or smudge. It actually is kinda cheap compared to other L'Oreal mascaras- I got mine (in the clearance bin, but I saw the original price tag and it was) for $7. So overall, it is a great mascara, but the name is underestimating the power of this product!

PROS: VERY natural. Pretty inexpensive. Washes off easily when removing. Brush is pretty easy to use. Tube is decent size for storage in purse, etc.

CONS: Flaked kinda easy. A little too natural for me.

APPLICATION TIPS: Shiseido's primer (even the new one) helps this stay on MUCH longer without flaking. I am a recent convert to using Shiseido's popular curler too.

ALTERNATES: Milani's Runway Lashes gives me gorgeous length/volume (then covered by Clarins Double Fix, to waterproof it) OR The Rocket by Maybelline (also covered by Clarins Double Fix) is wonderful for volume and lots of length. If you already have pretty good lashes (don't need much help), you may like CoverGirl Last Blast Fusion. The new Manga mascara by L'Oreal is fantastic for length and volume that lasts a long time without smudging; I'm kind of in love with it.

This is a fantastic mascara for when I want to achieve a simple and natural look. There are some days when I don't feel like wearing any makeup, so I just slap on some mascara and lipgloss, and I'm out the door. This mascara is perfect for those kind of days.

As for how it makes my lashes look, it seems to bring out the best in my natural lashes (especially in this brownish color). It makes them look defined and it helps with holding a curl. It hasn't once clumped on me, either.

This mascara isn't a waterproof formula, so it washes off extremely easily. Non-waterproof mascaras don't really appeal to me if I plan on wearing makeup the entire day, because they have the tendency to flake on me. I haven't experienced any flaking whatsoever after wearing this product for several hours. It gets major points for that.

I think I may have discovered an HG "natural" mascara. It's just enough to enhance my features, but it still looks clean and natural on me. I love it!

This is a decent mascara. I got this dirt cheap, so I wasn't expecting a lot to begin with. It's not too volume-y, but fluffs up the lashes decently enough. No flakes or irritation, and it's nice that it has some natural ingredients. I wouldn't repurchase just because there are so many other mascaras out there that do the job equally well or better. But if you find this on sale/cheap...it's worth a try.

on 10/25/2009 12:56:00 AM

Just because it says Natural doesn't mean it's going to turn you into a hippie girl, so I've come to find. I keep going back to this one after repeatedly purchasing Chanel, Lancome, Dior, YSL, and find the bottom of my wallet instead of great lashes. If you want Betty Draper (January Jones in Madmen) lashes, this is a must try! Batting your eyes is so much more fun with this mascara!

on 4/2/2009 6:32:00 PM

Bought this mascara the other day during a BOGOF sale at Walgreens. Got the black/brown for me and the Balck for my daughter. Tried it this morning and WOW!!! Could not beleive how nice this went on...no clumps, flakes..and it really lenghtened and seemed to curl them up a bit. Love the packaging too..kind of looks like a leopard print bottle. I will definetly get this again...in fact I may go back this week and get too more with the bogo sale. This is my HG for sure!!

on 4/2/2009 1:22:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I was really disappointed with this mascara. I like a softer looking lash and bought this hoping it would be similar to Maybelline's Full 'n Soft (the original formula before they messed it up... why can't companies leave the good ones alone????). Anyway, it is NOTHING like it is advertised. It is NOT natural looking - on the contrary, it is spidery and garish if you apply more than one coat and it is EXTREMELY flaky - the long fibers come off in chunks, the brush is so soft that it won't brush through my already semi-thick lashes, which I'm guessing is a good deal of the problem for me. Maybe this works for someone with more sparse lashes?? Definitely didn't work for me. I keep hoping I can find a drug store brand that will replace my trusty old Full 'n Soft. For now, I am stuck paying for Estee Lauder's More Than Mascara at $21.00 a pop. Anyone have a recommendation??

on 3/31/2009 6:56:00 PM

I pretty much like this mascara. That's as good as I can praise it. Mascara is one of those things that every woman continues searching for a better one throughout her life. We all want long, lush, dark, curled, seductive eyelashes. But it has to leave everyone fooled were born them (excuse the slogan ref.) and didn't spend 30 min. obsessing over the position of each lash. Perfect mascara is a concept that, if discovered, could mean looking much closer to our ideal overall appearance. ok sorry, blahblahblah. BACK to the product discussion at hand. This mascara does a pretty good job of 1) lengthening 2) being pretty much clump-free if applied correctly and 3) looking natural.. But I think the performance of the mascara is mainly in the brush. You could spend 40 on a mascara and not get a better brush. The formula however could be better. It's very dry actually, typical to L'oreal mascara, and you have to apply it quickly otherwise it will start to go clumpy. But I think it lives up to a product worthy to be called Bare Naturale, thus I give it 4 lippies.

This mascara works like a gel based mascara: it looks so natural. It does not clump for me perhaps because I don't have thick close together lashes? What I like most is the "natural" look and unlike other natural look mascaras this one does gives you a little thickening and lenghtening. Goes on easy and nicely separates my lashes. It does last well too and if you add a good mascara base it will last practically till bed time.

on 1/2/2009 10:31:00 AM

I really don't understand the great reviews for this mascara. I bought it liking the idea that it would leave my lashes soft and not brittle. But I don't notice any more softness or flexibility than any other mascara. The formula is super thin and goopy at the same time. I get tons of clumps that I have to comb through, and then I'm left with skimpy, sparse-looking lashes. They don't look natural at all, they look spidery and ridiculous.

I like the animal print packaging, but that's about it. For "natural" lashes I'll go back to Estee Lauder and for lush lashes I'll use Neutrogena Healthy Volume. But I will not be buying this again.