4.5

Formerly called Let's Make Collagen Serum.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

I write this after one week of product use. I had some very deep laugh lines and I was developing fine lines around the eyes and on the forehead. No big whoop, I'm over 30, it happens, right? NO. Do not go gentle into that wrinkled night. I'd tried and thrown away several creams and was wary of expensive serums (and that brown Estee Lauder stuff did nothing for me), when an Internet search turned up Skin Actives, an outfit that caters to the DIY skincare crowd. Their ready-mixed collagen serum, which I keep in the fridge per directions, has caused the aforementioned lines to vanish. I apply five drops to face and neck in the evenings after a gentle cream cleanser (by UK brand Simple) and follow with Oil of Olay cream for sensitive skin plus a few drops of jojoba oil. I look 25 again. HALLELUJAH. It is $12.50 for one ounce and contains the following: Distilled Water, Sea Kelp Bioferment, Sodium PCA, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Pomegranate Extract, Natural Active Peptides, Hyaluronic Acid, L-Carnosine, Boswellia Serrata, Niacinamide, N-Acetyl Glucosamine, Centella Asiatica, Horse Chestnut Extract, Betulinic Acid, Green Tea EGCG, Epidermal Growth Factor BT, Germaben II. I'm just hoping that EGF doesn't turn out to be a tumor-generator, as Paula Begoun seems to think it might.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this product for over two years now and my husband has been using it for about one year. We have seen good results. We are both 71 and we are holding the wrinkles and collapsed facial features at bay. I just wish we had discovered this serum earlier. We are not turning back the clock, but we are holding on to where we are. We do not look our age, I believe, and this serum has definitely played a part in keeping our skin looking good.
It comes in a plain bottle and is reasonably priced. It must be refrigerated. I even use it on my eyelids with good results and no irritation. It does not promise miracles, it just provides results.
If you are really serious about preventive anti-aging skin care, check out this little indie company. They are the real deal.

on 2/19/2012 5:11:00 AM

I've been using this about 2 months now. The bottle is generic but sturdy. The smell is natural and I store it in my fridge. I apply it in the mornings.

I was pleased with the customer service. My question were answered promptly and though Hannah by reputation in quite blunt, I also found her to be honest--which is most important to me. I asked how long I could expect before seeing results with the LMCS and she told me, quite honestly, I might never see turn-back-time type results that most popular brands advertised... but that at the very least it would help me maintain the collagen I have. Fair enough, I'm 37 if I can maintain what I have now I'll be rocking my 50's and like I said, her honesty sold me.

Fast forward two months and I am pleased to say that I do see a difference... some crepeiness is smoothing out and I notice that my skin feels a bit thicker. The texture is very "fresh made" and seems quite different than commercial products if that's what you are used to... it pleases me because this way I know I have a product chock full o' actives. I use it in the morning and it goes on smooth, I enjoy rubbing it in on just very barely damp skin... its not at all sticky and has no smell once it is absorbed. I don't wear makeup, but I can't imagine it causing any problems at all. I definately plan to repurchase.

ETA 4/12/12: I ran out of this right after I posted this review and have been out of the country so I couldn't repurchase. I am so pleased that NONE of the smoothness I noted while using this product has left... so it seems that this serum has actually improved the condition and quality of collagen of my skin rather than just temporarily hydrating/ masking it. I'm buying a 4 oz bottle to use on my post-baby belly too!

I have been using this product for about 3 years now. I did stop for awhile and definitely noticed the change. I wish I could get buckets of this stuff and bath in it. There is no doubt I have kept wrinkles at bay with this stuff. I also use the DMAE serum they have. I use these two serums morning and night and produced a daily cream I like very much. You don't have to use their creams, you can buy something you already like and then pump it up with the actives.

I use many of the skin actives products and I have to say that I do not look 53. You have to be patient with all their products, there are no magic bullets.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

My first review here. As a long term beauty addict who has always looked after my skin I am now changing my routine/products to find products which plump the skin, help fight aging and give me that smooth creamy glow. My skin has NEVER been smooth or uniform in colour/texture. Adult acne has left scars on my chin and my nose has black heads even with daily sacilic acid wash/gel. I have been using this for 2 weeks in combination with cleansing with my (new) clarasonic and retinol night cream. Not noticed any scent to it at all. There is a 100% improvement in the clarity of my skin, less redness, no- not even one breakout. The skin is plumper looking and the crepey lines I hate ( on my chin) are softened. Store cold in the fridge and only using at night. Time to add it to mornings on the days I don't wear make up. The consistency is too sticky to wear under make up IMO.

on 9/1/2014 9:49:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I've been using this serum for three years now and it's incredible. The whole brand is amazing. My routine:

Morning:
Cleanse with Salicylic Wash
Tone with Ascorbic Acid crystals mixed with tap water
Moisturize with UV Repair Cream

Night:
Cleanse with DHC Deep Cleansing Oil (not Skin Actives product, although they do have an oil cleanser)
Collagen Serum
Moisturize with Vitamin A Cream (Twilight Awakening)

My skin is fair, sensitive and prone to redness. I used have several scaly, flaky patches of dry skin and the occasional blemish. I have used many mid-high end products with no consistent luck and no changes to the core issues. After switching to Skin Actives my skin is soft, healthy, less red, NO scaly/flaky patches (I cannot emphasize that enough), and fewer blemishes. This is pure magic for me.

The science behind their ingredients is well supported and the proof is in my pudding soft skin. I'm almost forty and I sometimes get carded buying alcohol.

Make the switch. You will not regret it.

on 1/26/2013 7:58:00 PM

I have used this product for several years. I use it twice a day right after washing my face. It is extremely soothing and leaves my face feeling silky; not greasy in any way and not tight -- just incredibly smooth. It is very reasonably priced. I recommend it for any age, but it is especially great for the over 40 crowd or anyone trying to reduce the signs of aging. Try it!

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

I'm on the fence. I read all the positive experiences and figured why not, it's about time I paid attention to anti aging products. I didn't wake with plumped, glowing skin. In fact my nasolabial lines showed no improvement and the little lines under my eyes progressively got deeper. If after 2 month's use I experience the opposite of my expectations, I cannot commit to continued use -which is sad, because the ingredient list/research is impressive and it really is a bargain at <usd$ 20 with shipping. Le sigh...

on 7/1/2009 9:54:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I had very specific questions because of the RX stuff I already use for rosacea, KP, and dehydrated skin; Hannah, the founder, was very clear and prompt in her responses.
PROS: thin, watery liquid, brownish, smooth, slight smell
CONS: none
Because I am a little leary of any new product, I tested it on the back of my hands first. No tingling, in fact it was absorbed rather quickly (it is water based after all). I do shake it up each time I use it - it was a little gritty when I first got it but after shaking it whatever it was went away. I began using it around my eyes and then my face and neck. Its been about 4 days now and truly, the skin structure around my eyes has subtly changed. I wish I had taken a picture before so I could share the after. I may do that now....anyway, I use this am and pm. At night I use it around my eyes, and during the day, all over including my neck. I use Avalon VItamin C renewal cream at night, alternating every few days with Retin A Micro. During the day I use Sonia Kaschuk tinted moisturizer SPF 15 with Physicians Formula light bronzer powder.
I think its well worth the $12 or so plus shipping. Very reasonable for fairly quick changes.

on 9/12/2008 3:34:00 PM

Skin Actives Scientific Website: www.SkinActives.com
I love this website! It sells most of the cutting-edge antiaging cosmeceutical ingredients to the mass public at LOW cost so that you can actually customize your own skincare products to suit your specific needs.
In addition to selling individual key additives, Skin Actives also offers a section of ready-made ready-to-use products & formulas at low cost.
This review is for the ready-made "Let's Make Collagen" serum which is designed to improve & stimulate collagen growth for younger looking skin.
It's available for $12.50 in 1oz, or at even lower overall cost in a larger 4oz dark blue plastic push-top bottle $42.50 (15% discount).
The serum is brown with some white gritty specks throughout & smells a little bit unpleasant but the odor dissipates as the serum quickly sinks into the skin. Feels a little sticky upon application but doesn't feel sticky after it dries. A little goes a long way, so apply just enough to barely smooth over the skin. I find this formula to be very gentle & non-irritating.
Copied from website description of this product -
Properties: Collagen Promotion
Ingredients: Distilled water, Sea kelp bioferment, sodium PCA, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate, pomegranate extract, natural active peptides, hyaluronic acid, L-carnosine, Boswellia serrata, niacinamide, N-acetyl glucosamine, Centella asiatica, Horse chestnut extract, hyaluronic acid, betulinic acid, green tea EGCG, epidermal growth factor BT, Germaben II.
Look at all those yummy (a/k/a good for your skin) ingredients! Antiaging skin serum with EGF (epidermal growth factor) for only $12.50 per ounce, that's unheard of! Sounds too good to be true except it is true because Skin Actives is a reliable, dependable, trustworthy company. Very happy to purchase from them. I discovered them when I was searching for the latest growth factor skin serums. They have a comprehensive A-Z online catalog of all the products & additives they offer for all types of skincare needs - dry skin, wrinkles, oily skin, acne, sensitive skin, spider veins, hair loss, rosacea, dermatitis, inflammation, discolorations, other skin conditions, etc.

--- UPDT 12/3/08 ---
I took off 1 point because the odor & grittiness in the texture of this serum discourage me from using it consistently. Good product, but it can use an aesthetic improvement.