GUERLAIN Gourmand Coquin

Filtered by eye Color : Green age: 44-55
GUERLAIN Gourmand Coquin

4.8

on 5/24/2013 12:02:00 PM

Sticker shock kept me from purchasing this on the spot, I adored it immediately after the first sniff (on our vacation to Disney World...sniffed it at Epcot, the France pavilion). I smell rum immediately upon spraying which then mellows out to a creamy vanilla and smooth melty chocolate, almost like hot cocoa. I walked around all day sniffing my wrist and the tester strip. My husband liked it too and probably would have bought it for me if I had asked but I felt guilty about the $260 for perfume (I'm notorious for loving a perfume for a week then hating it so I stick to tiny bottles!). My husband did buy me a decant (5ml) and I have been using it very sparingly and loving it very much. I have saved up over $100 so far and am looking forward to buying and coveting my very own full size bottle soon. I plow through 3 oz of Pink Sugar per year so I'm hoping spraying carefully a 2 oz bottle of GEGC will last a whole year then it can become a Christmas or Birthday gift. :0)

Sillage: 5/5 3 sprays (i each wrist, one just below the bra) radiates nicely, I catch whiffs quite a bit.

Longevity: 4/5 lasts a good 8 hours on my perfume eating skin (that is saying a lot!)

Conclusion: Awesome stuff if you like chocolate/rum/vanilla scents, it is pricey but oh so worth it!!

on 4/17/2010 10:30:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Instant seduction for me. It reminds me of those frothy, sweet cocktails that taste so much like decadant milkshakes you don't realize until the 4th round that you are completely intoxicated. This is boozy ice cream but with complexity, as a little spice and rose are thrown in. The peppercorn note keeps it from being too sweet and there is something earthy about it too. Just got a sample today and wow, I have never jumped onto the internet so quickly to buy a full bottle of a new sample. My husband says I smell good enough to eat and I feel impossibly edible! Since I work in a male dominated field, I guess I better think twice about spritzing this on before hopping in a car with 3 fellow agents to field work because for a gourmand, this is very sexy. This is liquid Lolita comehitherness (is that a word?) I'm loving it.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I only purchase and wear Guerlain fragrances and when I discovered this one I fell in love. This is one of the Guerlain fragrances that are not as easy to find. I purchased mine at the Guerlain boutique in the France Pavilion at Epcot at Walt Disney World.

It is a deep gourmand scent, very sweet on the initial spray and dies down to a lovely rum and cocoa/chocolate like scent. This one stays on the skin FOREVER. Its a warm and spicy scent with sweet undertones. This is truly amazing.

on 7/18/2017 8:03:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

An interesting exercise by Guerlain in the gourmand trend set by Thierry Mugler's Angel. I had expected this to be a little more in the grand Guerlain manner, but don't detect a great deal of the Guerlinade base in here (the clearest recent iteration of that style by Guerlain is surely the wonderful 180 ans de Creations). Gourmand Coquin opens with a big blast of rum-soaked fruits that nobody would describe as tasteful. That phase lasts a short few minutes before the chocolate heart surfaces, but there is an interesting - or dismaying, depending on your point of view - olfactory clash at the point where these elements intersect. It's like a strong musical discord for a minute or so; the boozy fruits and the chocolate together smell, to my nose at least, like slightly gone-off drupes. Unexpected, and a jolting reminder that alcohol is the result of natural fermentation. Thankfully this phase doesn't last beyond a few moments or the whole expensive exercise would have been a scrubber. Instead, the chocolate takes the upper hand and before long is joined by a very familiar smoky vanilla note, the base of Shalimar, but much better behaved than her risque great aunt. It's like recognising an old friend. Much as I respect it, Shalimar becomes harshly medicinal and unwearable on my skin; in Gourmand Coquin there is just a hint of this stridency keeping the sweeter elements in check. At this stage I am reminded strongly of Traversee du Bosphore, a perfume I'm very fond of, although the resemblance is, in a manner of speaking, wholly vanillic (there is no detectable loukhoum here). It smells like old books. I find the far drydown very pleasant, a well-balanced chocolate, vanilla, smoke combo that is slightly addicting and unexpectedly contemplative. A lovely thing, but whether it is deserving of the hype or the price tag is debatable.