Guerlain Gourmand Coquin

Filtered by eye Color : Brown
Guerlain Gourmand Coquin

4.8

I love this perfume the longevity is amazing this stay on the skin forever. It is a really sweet perfume, the Chocolate note dominate for the first hours and then the rum, vanilla and spices take a little over. I do not smell any rose (notes given by Guerlain) for those who do not like gourmand perfume stay away but a definite buy for those who love vanilla and heady perfume. Sillage is also high!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my holy grail scent- and trust me, I have tried MANY scents and have searched for them in vain until I ordered a few decants of this beautiful liquid, I am someone who loves gourmands and has looked for the perfect gourmand. I have tried everything from low-end colognes from K-Mart to popular ones like Jessica Simpson to Bath and Body Works to Victoria's Secret to Gucci and Thierry Mugler... yes, the list embarrassingly goes on and on, and so does the thinning of my wallet.

This perfume has notes of rum, chocolate, spices, vanilla, and rose... but the notes themselves merely describe how deep and gorgeous this perfume is. It is the only perfume that has received compliments on my skin. It does not have an artificial vanilla or strong alcohol scent like many others do. It smells sweet, but not too sweet, and not food-y at the same time. It smells like sweet, lush vanilla, chocolate and rum on me but also a little powdery without being too strong and overbearing. I have finished up at least decants and am saving to finally have a full bottle someday. It is appropriate for a young woman but also a more mature one because it doesn't smell like cheap floral-candy. I can't describe it wellvenough; you must try it yourself!

on 11/11/2010 8:27:00 PM

I am in love with this fragrance. Generally not a fan of Guerlain fragrances, but i have sample sprays of this and the Oriental Brulant, and just can't stop smelling my wrists when i have either on nor keep the bf at a distance. I am more partial to this one and while it doesn't have the lasting power of some of my other perfumes, its intoxicating scent is persuading me to acquire a bottle despite the outrageous pricetag, but hopefully santa will deliver.

on 2/27/2010 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

First of all, I hate both the name and Guerlain's tacky, tawdry, cheap Harlequin romance novel approach to marketing this fragrance!

However much I wanted to write this fragrance off, Gourmand Coquin is the ultimate, rich, gorgeous, gourmand with the traditional gorgeous vanill-y effect Guerlain does like no other. I only smell the rum and peppery notes in the early stages. Certainly it is not "naughty". The drydown is just a soft, rich, gorgeous. chocolatey distinctively Guerlain type of vanilla. It is very soft and comforting and nice to be around. It is sexy only in that my husband finds it pleasing too.

Yes, I agree with the similarities to Parfumerie Generale's Musc Maori et al, but Gourmand Coquin, I must reluctantly admit,. has a richness and a depth to it the others do not.

The bottle is nice, albeit perhaps a little too girly, for many's taste. I find it nice to have a "girly-girl" bottle mixed in with the many contempory, streamlined bottles of late. I also like that it's so distinctively feminine.

The downside is its price. I wish it were sold in a smaller bottle for less $$.

on 10/11/2009 6:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Love this fragrance. Smells like chocolate but not too sweet. Some woody, floral notes as well that keep the fragrance from being too sweet but is definitely a gourmand. Beautiful bottle.

on 5/2/2009 4:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Tried this at the Guerlain boutique at Epcot Florida this past week and it's wonderful! First on it smells like Christmas rum balls: Rum, spice and chocolate. It dries down to a much milder tobacco, faint spice, wood scent with just a touch of sweet. It's lovely and also delicious and yes, very gourmand. The price is a bit steep as with all of this type. It you like Aomassai, you should probably try this one, too, as they're almost kissing cousins. Yum.

Once I can actually afford to purchase a bottle of this scent, it will no doubt be my HG for any special evening or event. I hadn't planned to test it and rather, found it by accident when seeking out the new La Petite Robe Noir at the Guerlain boutique inside Neiman's in San Francisco, which coincidentally was sold out and unavailable to test. I noticed the trio of beautiful, pastel-colored bottles in a perfect spring palette, sitting upon their own shelf and had to walk over and investigate.

This scent has been compared to both Aquolina's Pink Sugar, which I own and wear occasionally but am NOT in love with, and another of Guerlain's exclusif's: Spritueuse Double Vanille, which I have sampled and found to be at moments divine and at the same time, overwhemingly sweet and thick. Gourmand Coquin is neither thick, nor nauseatingly sweet. It is gourmand, yes, and it does refrain from the intense woodiness of its predecessor in this category, Angel, yet it remains foody without feeling so; it is quite delicate and well-balanced.

I roll my eyes when I read the reviews of certain popular perfume bloggers who have pre-selected any and all gourmands as being youthful and uninteresting and this one, apparently, did not disappoint them. It's as though adding vanilla or sweet fruit and flowers instantly bores their noses and it makes me wonder if they also pass on chocolates, cookies and dessert of every kind. I prefer veggies to chocolate in most cases, but there's a time and a place for a fantastic dessert once in awhile and admitting to liking a sweeter fragrance, other than the classic Shalimar, won't lead to one being labeled as easy-to-please or predictable. I can't understand how GC could be uninteresting to anyone, even those who don't quickly fall for sweet scents. There is a rum note and a "buttered coffee cake" note which is kept in check with just the slightest hint of something dry - a subtle woodiness or cocoa, perhaps? It is beautifully done and the fragrance falls somewhere in the medium-range, in everything from sillage to intensity. Of the three Elixir Charnels, GC is the most intoxicaticating to my nose.

Is it worth $250 for 2.5 fl oz? Probably not, but the bottle's gourgeous, the scent is fantastic and fairy-tale-esque, and the concept is so well-conceived that the price doesn't seem so steep, all things considered. An added positive is that the two-and-a-half ounces will last ages. This fragrance is something close to the definition of the mystique perfume holds for me: a subtle, personal accesory that it beautiful and mysterious and one that is just slightly unattainable, yet something worth saving to purchase. Though there are beautiful fragrances to be had at Sephora for less than a hundred dollars, there are some expensive ones which cannot be ignored, for both their quality and the unique ideas they present and this is one that I find myself at a loss to describe. All I can say is, if you love sweet scents, sample this one if you can. If you find yourself craving it, give in. It's not every day that a unique and gorgeous perfume comes along in a unique and gorgeous bottle that is hard-to-find and very easy to fall in love with.

***UPDATE: I've now owned this scent for a few months and I adore it! I don't wear it all that often, because it's so expensive and I want to save it for special occasions. When I do wear it, I feel really special and I have to say, it was worth the steep price tag for me.

on 9/11/2008 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

My first thought was, "Pink Sugar." I am still in a state of disbelief. Notes (per the Scented Salamander): black pepper, chocolate, rum, cacao, spice, rose, vanilla...Surely it doesn't smell like that. I would have to compare them closer together in time.

Popular Fragrances