GUERLAIN Gourmand Coquin

3.0

1 review

on 12/22/2017 6:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Another reviewer said it well that the boozy, rum soaked fruits and the chocolate clash in the opening of this and unfortunately I experienced the same thing. For such an expensive fragrance, and with my experience with other of the higher end of the Guerlain line like Anjelique Noir and Joeuse Tubereuse (both of which I love), I am surprised that this is so poorly blended as to have such a unpleasant opening. After a few minutes the booziness starts to recede a bit but the chocolate coming through has an almost nougat feel to it. And the projection is not what I would like from this level of fragrance either. As this is my first test, I'm going to let it completely dry down and wait to see what happens in the later stages and possibly give it another try another day and will edit this review accordingly. I will also try it on clothes to see if that makes a difference. Although I've had a few other perfumes where I wanted the top notes to go away so that the base could really shine, none of them have opened up with such a dramatic clash of top notes that I wanted initially to scrub it. Frankly I expected better from all the hype.

Edit: Have been wearing this for 2 hours and it's dried down to almost a skin scent. Very little projection. You can smell a mix of chocolate and vanilla and possibly a little woodiness. But I also put on Angelique Noire just to compare and contrast and there truly is no comparison. Gourmand Couquin is one step above your average gourmand and unimpressive while AN is simply gorgeous angelica top note drying down to a beautiful vanilla. So considering the high price point for both, it would be worth your while to stop by a Guerlain counter to try GC out as well as a few of their other higher end offerings that are lovely. But I have the feeling that this performs differently on different skins considering the mixed reviews so would highly recommend sampling before plunking down the pretty high price of this one. There are better gourmands at much lower price points.

Popular Fragrances