Guerlain Gourmand Coquin

Guerlain Gourmand Coquin

3.8

on 12/22/2017 6:45:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Another reviewer said it well that the boozy, rum soaked fruits and the chocolate clash in the opening of this and unfortunately I experienced the same thing. For such an expensive fragrance, and with my experience with other of the higher end of the Guerlain line like Anjelique Noir and Joeuse Tubereuse (both of which I love), I am surprised that this is so poorly blended as to have such a unpleasant opening. After a few minutes the booziness starts to recede a bit but the chocolate coming through has an almost nougat feel to it. And the projection is not what I would like from this level of fragrance either. As this is my first test, I'm going to let it completely dry down and wait to see what happens in the later stages and possibly give it another try another day and will edit this review accordingly. I will also try it on clothes to see if that makes a difference. Although I've had a few other perfumes where I wanted the top notes to go away so that the base could really shine, none of them have opened up with such a dramatic clash of top notes that I wanted initially to scrub it. Frankly I expected better from all the hype.

Edit: Have been wearing this for 2 hours and it's dried down to almost a skin scent. Very little projection. You can smell a mix of chocolate and vanilla and possibly a little woodiness. But I also put on Angelique Noire just to compare and contrast and there truly is no comparison. Gourmand Couquin is one step above your average gourmand and unimpressive while AN is simply gorgeous angelica top note drying down to a beautiful vanilla. So considering the high price point for both, it would be worth your while to stop by a Guerlain counter to try GC out as well as a few of their other higher end offerings that are lovely. But I have the feeling that this performs differently on different skins considering the mixed reviews so would highly recommend sampling before plunking down the pretty high price of this one. There are better gourmands at much lower price points.

I wanted to love this, I really did. I ordered a large expensive bottle- blindly (yes, I think I'm going through a crisis or something) but after reading so many positive reviews, I thought it would be to-die-for. I had this odd feeling it was going to smell like Viktor and Rolf's Flowerbomb, which is lovely, but not $300 lovely. The first day I wore this, it did, in fact remind me of Flowerbomb. It was spicy and sweet and a little smoky all at once, I only wore for 4 hours before taking my nightly shower. Today (second day) it reminds me of a Bath and Body fragrance called Cashmere Glow. Exactly like BBW. I just spent $300 to smell like Bath and Body Works. Wow. On to the details. This packaging is amazing. You really feel like some rich, well-kept woman when you receive the beautiful packaging. I opened the lovely box and sniffed the fragrance from the bottle. I got lots of chocolate and booze immediately. Spraying on my skin was the chocolate and booze but add vanilla. Spicy, expensive vanilla. The scent is pretty linear for 20-30 minutes then it changes. No more spicy chocolate and fancy liquor. It's more of a cocoa butter, almost an oily, waxy smell. Something about it reminds me of the older ladies at the uptight Baptist church my mom forced me to attend when I was a child. Like an 'old lady' fragrance. After an hour, that scent has settled in even more on my clothes but I can't smell even the faintest bit of fragrance on my wrist. Just that cloying, waxy cocoa butter smell on my clothes. I saw so many reviews that compared it to cotton candy or brown sugar- I get none of that. It doesn't smell gourmand on me at all. I wish there was more to it than this. Just for reference, my other fave fragrances are Byredo's Gypsy Water- is it so wearable, so non- offensive. I can wear it to my job in the medical field and not worry about ill patients being offended by it. My other fave (and #1, HG) scent is Tom Ford's Oud Fleur. It is so multi- dimensional, it starts of so annoying, almost gross, overbearing, then turns into this soft, smoky fragrance that makes me feel like I have been transported to the Middle East, like Dubai on a Saturday night. It's rich and skanky and is so unisex that hubby and I fight over it. I was expecting the whole 'transporting-smoky-multi-dimensional' experience with Coquin but it failed to deliver. Now I'm stuck with a $300 parfume that makes me smell like high school, circa 1995, when bath and body works was the hottest thing right below flannel shirts and oily hair.

Ok, update. A couple more days of wearing this and I think it's growing on me. Two things, though. This fragrance smells great on my skin, and only on my skin. Other thing is I must use a lot. Like, I'm usually a two-spritz gal because I don't want to choke my co-workers or family or whoever I'm going to be around, but this fragrance I've been using at least 6-8 sprays, just starting at my wrists and working up my arms and then I rub a bit I to my neck area. Anyway, I still don't feel like it's a $300 fragrance but it really is growing on me. As long as it doesn't get on my clothing, I don't catch that milky, waxy smell I discussed earlier. On my skin I purely get the chocolatey boozy vanilla smell. I went shopping with my son and I kept catching whiffs of my arm. At one point he mentioned he smelled hot chocolate. I stuck my wrist in his face and sure enough, that's what he had smelled. If this were a $100 scent, I would be much more excited. Call me cheap but the price tag just gets me.

on 2/27/2010 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

First of all, I hate both the name and Guerlain's tacky, tawdry, cheap Harlequin romance novel approach to marketing this fragrance!

However much I wanted to write this fragrance off, Gourmand Coquin is the ultimate, rich, gorgeous, gourmand with the traditional gorgeous vanill-y effect Guerlain does like no other. I only smell the rum and peppery notes in the early stages. Certainly it is not "naughty". The drydown is just a soft, rich, gorgeous. chocolatey distinctively Guerlain type of vanilla. It is very soft and comforting and nice to be around. It is sexy only in that my husband finds it pleasing too.

Yes, I agree with the similarities to Parfumerie Generale's Musc Maori et al, but Gourmand Coquin, I must reluctantly admit,. has a richness and a depth to it the others do not.

The bottle is nice, albeit perhaps a little too girly, for many's taste. I find it nice to have a "girly-girl" bottle mixed in with the many contempory, streamlined bottles of late. I also like that it's so distinctively feminine.

The downside is its price. I wish it were sold in a smaller bottle for less $$.

Once I can actually afford to purchase a bottle of this scent, it will no doubt be my HG for any special evening or event. I hadn't planned to test it and rather, found it by accident when seeking out the new La Petite Robe Noir at the Guerlain boutique inside Neiman's in San Francisco, which coincidentally was sold out and unavailable to test. I noticed the trio of beautiful, pastel-colored bottles in a perfect spring palette, sitting upon their own shelf and had to walk over and investigate.

This scent has been compared to both Aquolina's Pink Sugar, which I own and wear occasionally but am NOT in love with, and another of Guerlain's exclusif's: Spritueuse Double Vanille, which I have sampled and found to be at moments divine and at the same time, overwhemingly sweet and thick. Gourmand Coquin is neither thick, nor nauseatingly sweet. It is gourmand, yes, and it does refrain from the intense woodiness of its predecessor in this category, Angel, yet it remains foody without feeling so; it is quite delicate and well-balanced.

I roll my eyes when I read the reviews of certain popular perfume bloggers who have pre-selected any and all gourmands as being youthful and uninteresting and this one, apparently, did not disappoint them. It's as though adding vanilla or sweet fruit and flowers instantly bores their noses and it makes me wonder if they also pass on chocolates, cookies and dessert of every kind. I prefer veggies to chocolate in most cases, but there's a time and a place for a fantastic dessert once in awhile and admitting to liking a sweeter fragrance, other than the classic Shalimar, won't lead to one being labeled as easy-to-please or predictable. I can't understand how GC could be uninteresting to anyone, even those who don't quickly fall for sweet scents. There is a rum note and a "buttered coffee cake" note which is kept in check with just the slightest hint of something dry - a subtle woodiness or cocoa, perhaps? It is beautifully done and the fragrance falls somewhere in the medium-range, in everything from sillage to intensity. Of the three Elixir Charnels, GC is the most intoxicaticating to my nose.

Is it worth $250 for 2.5 fl oz? Probably not, but the bottle's gourgeous, the scent is fantastic and fairy-tale-esque, and the concept is so well-conceived that the price doesn't seem so steep, all things considered. An added positive is that the two-and-a-half ounces will last ages. This fragrance is something close to the definition of the mystique perfume holds for me: a subtle, personal accesory that it beautiful and mysterious and one that is just slightly unattainable, yet something worth saving to purchase. Though there are beautiful fragrances to be had at Sephora for less than a hundred dollars, there are some expensive ones which cannot be ignored, for both their quality and the unique ideas they present and this is one that I find myself at a loss to describe. All I can say is, if you love sweet scents, sample this one if you can. If you find yourself craving it, give in. It's not every day that a unique and gorgeous perfume comes along in a unique and gorgeous bottle that is hard-to-find and very easy to fall in love with.

***UPDATE: I've now owned this scent for a few months and I adore it! I don't wear it all that often, because it's so expensive and I want to save it for special occasions. When I do wear it, I feel really special and I have to say, it was worth the steep price tag for me.

on 9/12/2008 2:11:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

A brisk walk through the fall woods on a perfect day. End up in Wolverine stadium watching U of M win a kick-ass football game. Afterwards you go to a snuggly place and warm up with a cup of hot cocoa with rum,Baileys and some spices in it. Yum! That's what this is. My fave of the 3.Not too casual, not too snooty.

on 9/11/2008 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

At first sniff on the skin....I get a big opening of sweet chocolate, which quickly fades....then... subtle wafts of rum...which I liked! Then just the slightest hint of rose popping out. The notes list black pepper or peppercorns, but I get no pepper. Nice, not really unique, and thank goodness, I don't "need" a FB:) Notes listed: Black Pepper, Rose, Rum & Chocolate. The dry down to me is the best part of this scent....but nothing mezmerizing.

Popular Fragrances