Guerlain Gourmand Coquin

Guerlain Gourmand Coquin

4.3

on 7/18/2017 8:03:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

An interesting exercise by Guerlain in the gourmand trend set by Thierry Mugler's Angel. I had expected this to be a little more in the grand Guerlain manner, but don't detect a great deal of the Guerlinade base in here (the clearest recent iteration of that style by Guerlain is surely the wonderful 180 ans de Creations). Gourmand Coquin opens with a big blast of rum-soaked fruits that nobody would describe as tasteful. That phase lasts a short few minutes before the chocolate heart surfaces, but there is an interesting - or dismaying, depending on your point of view - olfactory clash at the point where these elements intersect. It's like a strong musical discord for a minute or so; the boozy fruits and the chocolate together smell, to my nose at least, like slightly gone-off drupes. Unexpected, and a jolting reminder that alcohol is the result of natural fermentation. Thankfully this phase doesn't last beyond a few moments or the whole expensive exercise would have been a scrubber. Instead, the chocolate takes the upper hand and before long is joined by a very familiar smoky vanilla note, the base of Shalimar, but much better behaved than her risque great aunt. It's like recognising an old friend. Much as I respect it, Shalimar becomes harshly medicinal and unwearable on my skin; in Gourmand Coquin there is just a hint of this stridency keeping the sweeter elements in check. At this stage I am reminded strongly of Traversee du Bosphore, a perfume I'm very fond of, although the resemblance is, in a manner of speaking, wholly vanillic (there is no detectable loukhoum here). It smells like old books. I find the far drydown very pleasant, a well-balanced chocolate, vanilla, smoke combo that is slightly addicting and unexpectedly contemplative. A lovely thing, but whether it is deserving of the hype or the price tag is debatable.

I wanted to love this, I really did. I ordered a large expensive bottle- blindly (yes, I think I'm going through a crisis or something) but after reading so many positive reviews, I thought it would be to-die-for. I had this odd feeling it was going to smell like Viktor and Rolf's Flowerbomb, which is lovely, but not $300 lovely. The first day I wore this, it did, in fact remind me of Flowerbomb. It was spicy and sweet and a little smoky all at once, I only wore for 4 hours before taking my nightly shower. Today (second day) it reminds me of a Bath and Body fragrance called Cashmere Glow. Exactly like BBW. I just spent $300 to smell like Bath and Body Works. Wow. On to the details. This packaging is amazing. You really feel like some rich, well-kept woman when you receive the beautiful packaging. I opened the lovely box and sniffed the fragrance from the bottle. I got lots of chocolate and booze immediately. Spraying on my skin was the chocolate and booze but add vanilla. Spicy, expensive vanilla. The scent is pretty linear for 20-30 minutes then it changes. No more spicy chocolate and fancy liquor. It's more of a cocoa butter, almost an oily, waxy smell. Something about it reminds me of the older ladies at the uptight Baptist church my mom forced me to attend when I was a child. Like an 'old lady' fragrance. After an hour, that scent has settled in even more on my clothes but I can't smell even the faintest bit of fragrance on my wrist. Just that cloying, waxy cocoa butter smell on my clothes. I saw so many reviews that compared it to cotton candy or brown sugar- I get none of that. It doesn't smell gourmand on me at all. I wish there was more to it than this. Just for reference, my other fave fragrances are Byredo's Gypsy Water- is it so wearable, so non- offensive. I can wear it to my job in the medical field and not worry about ill patients being offended by it. My other fave (and #1, HG) scent is Tom Ford's Oud Fleur. It is so multi- dimensional, it starts of so annoying, almost gross, overbearing, then turns into this soft, smoky fragrance that makes me feel like I have been transported to the Middle East, like Dubai on a Saturday night. It's rich and skanky and is so unisex that hubby and I fight over it. I was expecting the whole 'transporting-smoky-multi-dimensional' experience with Coquin but it failed to deliver. Now I'm stuck with a $300 parfume that makes me smell like high school, circa 1995, when bath and body works was the hottest thing right below flannel shirts and oily hair.

Ok, update. A couple more days of wearing this and I think it's growing on me. Two things, though. This fragrance smells great on my skin, and only on my skin. Other thing is I must use a lot. Like, I'm usually a two-spritz gal because I don't want to choke my co-workers or family or whoever I'm going to be around, but this fragrance I've been using at least 6-8 sprays, just starting at my wrists and working up my arms and then I rub a bit I to my neck area. Anyway, I still don't feel like it's a $300 fragrance but it really is growing on me. As long as it doesn't get on my clothing, I don't catch that milky, waxy smell I discussed earlier. On my skin I purely get the chocolatey boozy vanilla smell. I went shopping with my son and I kept catching whiffs of my arm. At one point he mentioned he smelled hot chocolate. I stuck my wrist in his face and sure enough, that's what he had smelled. If this were a $100 scent, I would be much more excited. Call me cheap but the price tag just gets me.

on 3/1/2014 4:10:00 PM

I love this fragrance ..... I fell in love with the description of this fragrance and when I received samples of Coquin I knew that I had to have it ...... this was my Valentine's Day gift which I finally received yesterday (this has been on back-order and it finally arrived and I was so glad as my sample was running low.) I absolutely adore sweeter fragrances as they work best with my body chemistry and I love vanilla as well ..... to me Coquin has a boozy vanilla quality which I love ..... I pick up the chocolate, rum and vanilla ...... it is sweet fragrance but not overly so (this is not a little girl scent.) Unfortunately I have $$$ taste in fragrances, but this is worth it to me since it works so well on my skin ..... two spritzes is even too much on me, however, even with one spritz I find that Coquin lasts all day ..... it is not an overly strong fragrance, but it just smells so good.

on 5/24/2013 12:02:00 PM

Sticker shock kept me from purchasing this on the spot, I adored it immediately after the first sniff (on our vacation to Disney World...sniffed it at Epcot, the France pavilion). I smell rum immediately upon spraying which then mellows out to a creamy vanilla and smooth melty chocolate, almost like hot cocoa. I walked around all day sniffing my wrist and the tester strip. My husband liked it too and probably would have bought it for me if I had asked but I felt guilty about the $260 for perfume (I'm notorious for loving a perfume for a week then hating it so I stick to tiny bottles!). My husband did buy me a decant (5ml) and I have been using it very sparingly and loving it very much. I have saved up over $100 so far and am looking forward to buying and coveting my very own full size bottle soon. I plow through 3 oz of Pink Sugar per year so I'm hoping spraying carefully a 2 oz bottle of GEGC will last a whole year then it can become a Christmas or Birthday gift. :0)

Sillage: 5/5 3 sprays (i each wrist, one just below the bra) radiates nicely, I catch whiffs quite a bit.

Longevity: 4/5 lasts a good 8 hours on my perfume eating skin (that is saying a lot!)

Conclusion: Awesome stuff if you like chocolate/rum/vanilla scents, it is pricey but oh so worth it!!

I love this perfume the longevity is amazing this stay on the skin forever. It is a really sweet perfume, the Chocolate note dominate for the first hours and then the rum, vanilla and spices take a little over. I do not smell any rose (notes given by Guerlain) for those who do not like gourmand perfume stay away but a definite buy for those who love vanilla and heady perfume. Sillage is also high!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my holy grail scent- and trust me, I have tried MANY scents and have searched for them in vain until I ordered a few decants of this beautiful liquid, I am someone who loves gourmands and has looked for the perfect gourmand. I have tried everything from low-end colognes from K-Mart to popular ones like Jessica Simpson to Bath and Body Works to Victoria's Secret to Gucci and Thierry Mugler... yes, the list embarrassingly goes on and on, and so does the thinning of my wallet.

This perfume has notes of rum, chocolate, spices, vanilla, and rose... but the notes themselves merely describe how deep and gorgeous this perfume is. It is the only perfume that has received compliments on my skin. It does not have an artificial vanilla or strong alcohol scent like many others do. It smells sweet, but not too sweet, and not food-y at the same time. It smells like sweet, lush vanilla, chocolate and rum on me but also a little powdery without being too strong and overbearing. I have finished up at least decants and am saving to finally have a full bottle someday. It is appropriate for a young woman but also a more mature one because it doesn't smell like cheap floral-candy. I can't describe it wellvenough; you must try it yourself!

on 11/11/2010 8:27:00 PM

I am in love with this fragrance. Generally not a fan of Guerlain fragrances, but i have sample sprays of this and the Oriental Brulant, and just can't stop smelling my wrists when i have either on nor keep the bf at a distance. I am more partial to this one and while it doesn't have the lasting power of some of my other perfumes, its intoxicating scent is persuading me to acquire a bottle despite the outrageous pricetag, but hopefully santa will deliver.

When I told the sales lady at the Guerlain counter that I love Spiritueuse Double Vanille and am considering a purchase, she immediately suggested Gourmand Coquin.

At first spray the luscious top notes floored me.. I was ready to hand over the $250, seduced by the mouthwatering dark chocolate, rum and vanilla. I love gourmands and this was delicious.

However, the rational voice in me said to beware of love at first site in perfume. I sprayed my arm and walked around the store for 30 minutes. Horrors!!! Where have the gorgeous, edible notes gone???

This fragrance develops alright, although the right word would be devolves. I was left with some unidentified linear spice and a waxy scent combo that had nothing in common with the original impression. Disappointing.

It's like being on a date with a knockout gorgeous Italian man (or woman) only to find out within a few minutes that they are a complete bore and not being able to to get out of there fast enough.

Why, Guerlain, why?

on 5/16/2013 6:35:00 PM

I like Gourmand Coquin. I like the nose, the idea behind it, the delicious gourmand it is on others. Unfortunately, it doesn't reveal its entire beauty on my skin. A rich opening with rum and some (little) spice, a delicious scent like a rich biscuit and then dang, makeup. Wafts of gourmand notes from time to time, but on skin, a tired amber or tobacco. My skin eats this up. I'm kind of sad about this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This smells sooooo good!! It is warm and chocolate-y. It does not last as long as the Angelique Noire on me though. This and Angelique Noire are my current favorite scents!

Popular Fragrances