Guerlain Gourmand Coquin

Guerlain Gourmand Coquin

4.2

on 7/18/2017 8:03:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

An interesting exercise by Guerlain in the gourmand trend set by Thierry Mugler's Angel. I had expected this to be a little more in the grand Guerlain manner, but don't detect a great deal of the Guerlinade base in here (the clearest recent iteration of that style by Guerlain is surely the wonderful 180 ans de Creations). Gourmand Coquin opens with a big blast of rum-soaked fruits that nobody would describe as tasteful. That phase lasts a short few minutes before the chocolate heart surfaces, but there is an interesting - or dismaying, depending on your point of view - olfactory clash at the point where these elements intersect. It's like a strong musical discord for a minute or so; the boozy fruits and the chocolate together smell, to my nose at least, like slightly gone-off drupes. Unexpected, and a jolting reminder that alcohol is the result of natural fermentation. Thankfully this phase doesn't last beyond a few moments or the whole expensive exercise would have been a scrubber. Instead, the chocolate takes the upper hand and before long is joined by a very familiar smoky vanilla note, the base of Shalimar, but much better behaved than her risque great aunt. It's like recognising an old friend. Much as I respect it, Shalimar becomes harshly medicinal and unwearable on my skin; in Gourmand Coquin there is just a hint of this stridency keeping the sweeter elements in check. At this stage I am reminded strongly of Traversee du Bosphore, a perfume I'm very fond of, although the resemblance is, in a manner of speaking, wholly vanillic (there is no detectable loukhoum here). It smells like old books. I find the far drydown very pleasant, a well-balanced chocolate, vanilla, smoke combo that is slightly addicting and unexpectedly contemplative. A lovely thing, but whether it is deserving of the hype or the price tag is debatable.

on 5/24/2013 12:02:00 PM

Sticker shock kept me from purchasing this on the spot, I adored it immediately after the first sniff (on our vacation to Disney World...sniffed it at Epcot, the France pavilion). I smell rum immediately upon spraying which then mellows out to a creamy vanilla and smooth melty chocolate, almost like hot cocoa. I walked around all day sniffing my wrist and the tester strip. My husband liked it too and probably would have bought it for me if I had asked but I felt guilty about the $260 for perfume (I'm notorious for loving a perfume for a week then hating it so I stick to tiny bottles!). My husband did buy me a decant (5ml) and I have been using it very sparingly and loving it very much. I have saved up over $100 so far and am looking forward to buying and coveting my very own full size bottle soon. I plow through 3 oz of Pink Sugar per year so I'm hoping spraying carefully a 2 oz bottle of GEGC will last a whole year then it can become a Christmas or Birthday gift. :0)

Sillage: 5/5 3 sprays (i each wrist, one just below the bra) radiates nicely, I catch whiffs quite a bit.

Longevity: 4/5 lasts a good 8 hours on my perfume eating skin (that is saying a lot!)

Conclusion: Awesome stuff if you like chocolate/rum/vanilla scents, it is pricey but oh so worth it!!

on 4/17/2010 10:30:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

Instant seduction for me. It reminds me of those frothy, sweet cocktails that taste so much like decadant milkshakes you don't realize until the 4th round that you are completely intoxicated. This is boozy ice cream but with complexity, as a little spice and rose are thrown in. The peppercorn note keeps it from being too sweet and there is something earthy about it too. Just got a sample today and wow, I have never jumped onto the internet so quickly to buy a full bottle of a new sample. My husband says I smell good enough to eat and I feel impossibly edible! Since I work in a male dominated field, I guess I better think twice about spritzing this on before hopping in a car with 3 fellow agents to field work because for a gourmand, this is very sexy. This is liquid Lolita comehitherness (is that a word?) I'm loving it.

on 2/27/2010 9:07:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

First of all, I hate both the name and Guerlain's tacky, tawdry, cheap Harlequin romance novel approach to marketing this fragrance!

However much I wanted to write this fragrance off, Gourmand Coquin is the ultimate, rich, gorgeous, gourmand with the traditional gorgeous vanill-y effect Guerlain does like no other. I only smell the rum and peppery notes in the early stages. Certainly it is not "naughty". The drydown is just a soft, rich, gorgeous. chocolatey distinctively Guerlain type of vanilla. It is very soft and comforting and nice to be around. It is sexy only in that my husband finds it pleasing too.

Yes, I agree with the similarities to Parfumerie Generale's Musc Maori et al, but Gourmand Coquin, I must reluctantly admit,. has a richness and a depth to it the others do not.

The bottle is nice, albeit perhaps a little too girly, for many's taste. I find it nice to have a "girly-girl" bottle mixed in with the many contempory, streamlined bottles of late. I also like that it's so distinctively feminine.

The downside is its price. I wish it were sold in a smaller bottle for less $$.

on 12/9/2009 11:49:00 AM

(3.5 lippies)

Sometimes you get to the point where you have smelled so many fragrances that they all seem to blend together, or else one inevitably reminds you of another, leading you to think that the fragrance world is really very small. Or it could be a case of "once a great notion." Whatever, association often cannot be avoided, and this holds especially true for Gourmand Coquin, part of the Elixirs Charnels trio.

It's no surprise that Guerlain caught the loukhoum trend, albeit a bit later than the other major players (Lutens, Mecheri). Guerlain associated this trend with the "sugar and spice and everything nice" chronological stage in a woman's emotional and physical development. Therefore, one should anticipate an accumulation of the sweetest details, but composed with restraint and on a less voluptuous scale than is Guerlain's prima donna vanilla, Shalimar. Coquin is a whimsical, fun scent woven out of a virginal cloth. "Coquin" is a bit of a misnomer; there is little racy here unless one counts the shot of rum lacing the heart notes. I could make a case for it being mischievous, in the same way stealing a sugar cookie is mischievous if one is on a rigid adult diet.

Guerlain stakes out the familiar loukhoum territory with accords that are familiar from three other fragrances: Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum, IPdF Vaniglia del Madagascar, and Parfumerie Generale Musc Maori.
Coquin's introductory cherry fake-out (courtesy of a rum note) reminded me immediately of Mecheri Loukhoum. Chocolate and cherry made instantaneous appearances in Coquin, along with a strong drift of vanilla powder. From the start, it was clear that Coquin, like Loukhoum, was going to be a part-gourmand, part-cosmetic fragrance. The very prominent vanilla was at first talc-like with addition of rose, and later turned as doughy as the vanilla in IPdF Vaniglia del Madagascar.

Hours later, the vanilla became milky and scalded, a feature that marks Parfumerie Generale Musc Maori. Drydown moved from the slightly flat and doughy to the wax-like, leading to the inevitable resemblance to a high-quality candle. When the cocoa reappeared, as it should, at bedtime, the likeness to a candle ended.

Loukhoum scents can be a bit of a compositional hash. How they wear depends on which aspects are given the most weight. Where Mecheri's version was too sharply powdery (cosmetic) and linear for me, Gourmand Coquin continues to develop through what appears to be at least three stages. A greater spatial sense separates it from both the Lutens and Mecheri versions. The progression from gourmand through cosmetic and back to gourmand is interesting, if not thrilling. None of these scents has captured--and we might be thankful for this--the powdered sugar that coats the Turkish candy. In each case, the talc-like qualities of the vanilla are more evident.

Gourmand Coquin has exceptional lasting power. I applied it one afternoon and was still smelling it the next morning. It's not worth the money, in my opinion, but worth smelling for the way Guerlain continues to hold vanilla hostage. continued >>

on 9/11/2008 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

My first thought was, "Pink Sugar." I am still in a state of disbelief. Notes (per the Scented Salamander): black pepper, chocolate, rum, cacao, spice, rose, vanilla...Surely it doesn't smell like that. I would have to compare them closer together in time.

Popular Fragrances