Guerlain Gourmand Coquin

Filtered by age: 36-43
Guerlain Gourmand Coquin

I wanted to love this, I really did. I ordered a large expensive bottle- blindly (yes, I think I'm going through a crisis or something) but after reading so many positive reviews, I thought it would be to-die-for. I had this odd feeling it was going to smell like Viktor and Rolf's Flowerbomb, which is lovely, but not $300 lovely. The first day I wore this, it did, in fact remind me of Flowerbomb. It was spicy and sweet and a little smoky all at once, I only wore for 4 hours before taking my nightly shower. Today (second day) it reminds me of a Bath and Body fragrance called Cashmere Glow. Exactly like BBW. I just spent $300 to smell like Bath and Body Works. Wow. On to the details. This packaging is amazing. You really feel like some rich, well-kept woman when you receive the beautiful packaging. I opened the lovely box and sniffed the fragrance from the bottle. I got lots of chocolate and booze immediately. Spraying on my skin was the chocolate and booze but add vanilla. Spicy, expensive vanilla. The scent is pretty linear for 20-30 minutes then it changes. No more spicy chocolate and fancy liquor. It's more of a cocoa butter, almost an oily, waxy smell. Something about it reminds me of the older ladies at the uptight Baptist church my mom forced me to attend when I was a child. Like an 'old lady' fragrance. After an hour, that scent has settled in even more on my clothes but I can't smell even the faintest bit of fragrance on my wrist. Just that cloying, waxy cocoa butter smell on my clothes. I saw so many reviews that compared it to cotton candy or brown sugar- I get none of that. It doesn't smell gourmand on me at all. I wish there was more to it than this. Just for reference, my other fave fragrances are Byredo's Gypsy Water- is it so wearable, so non- offensive. I can wear it to my job in the medical field and not worry about ill patients being offended by it. My other fave (and #1, HG) scent is Tom Ford's Oud Fleur. It is so multi- dimensional, it starts of so annoying, almost gross, overbearing, then turns into this soft, smoky fragrance that makes me feel like I have been transported to the Middle East, like Dubai on a Saturday night. It's rich and skanky and is so unisex that hubby and I fight over it. I was expecting the whole 'transporting-smoky-multi-dimensional' experience with Coquin but it failed to deliver. Now I'm stuck with a $300 parfume that makes me smell like high school, circa 1995, when bath and body works was the hottest thing right below flannel shirts and oily hair.

Ok, update. A couple more days of wearing this and I think it's growing on me. Two things, though. This fragrance smells great on my skin, and only on my skin. Other thing is I must use a lot. Like, I'm usually a two-spritz gal because I don't want to choke my co-workers or family or whoever I'm going to be around, but this fragrance I've been using at least 6-8 sprays, just starting at my wrists and working up my arms and then I rub a bit I to my neck area. Anyway, I still don't feel like it's a $300 fragrance but it really is growing on me. As long as it doesn't get on my clothing, I don't catch that milky, waxy smell I discussed earlier. On my skin I purely get the chocolatey boozy vanilla smell. I went shopping with my son and I kept catching whiffs of my arm. At one point he mentioned he smelled hot chocolate. I stuck my wrist in his face and sure enough, that's what he had smelled. If this were a $100 scent, I would be much more excited. Call me cheap but the price tag just gets me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This smells sooooo good!! It is warm and chocolate-y. It does not last as long as the Angelique Noire on me though. This and Angelique Noire are my current favorite scents!

When I told the sales lady at the Guerlain counter that I love Spiritueuse Double Vanille and am considering a purchase, she immediately suggested Gourmand Coquin.

At first spray the luscious top notes floored me.. I was ready to hand over the $250, seduced by the mouthwatering dark chocolate, rum and vanilla. I love gourmands and this was delicious.

However, the rational voice in me said to beware of love at first site in perfume. I sprayed my arm and walked around the store for 30 minutes. Horrors!!! Where have the gorgeous, edible notes gone???

This fragrance develops alright, although the right word would be devolves. I was left with some unidentified linear spice and a waxy scent combo that had nothing in common with the original impression. Disappointing.

It's like being on a date with a knockout gorgeous Italian man (or woman) only to find out within a few minutes that they are a complete bore and not being able to to get out of there fast enough.

Why, Guerlain, why?

on 5/2/2009 4:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Tried this at the Guerlain boutique at Epcot Florida this past week and it's wonderful! First on it smells like Christmas rum balls: Rum, spice and chocolate. It dries down to a much milder tobacco, faint spice, wood scent with just a touch of sweet. It's lovely and also delicious and yes, very gourmand. The price is a bit steep as with all of this type. It you like Aomassai, you should probably try this one, too, as they're almost kissing cousins. Yum.

on 3/29/2009 12:49:00 AM

I like the last to review this, went to the boutique for the newest, La Petit Robe Noir. The Vegas boutique did have the La Petit Noir but on the same display, the new collection. As much as I liked and wanted the LPRN, once I had this in my hand, all was forgotten! I did not want to like it for the chocolate note. I dont' like chocolate notes that are prominant. And at first, I did detect chocolate. But once on my skin, the chocolate was slight and only lasted a few minutes. All that was left, and for 9hrs I must say, was a soft delicate, very feminine, and only so very slightly sweet. I LOVE gourmand's and I may have to say, this may be the best I have found yet. I did not hesitate to spend the extra $$$ on this. I was already prepared to spend $150 on the LPNR and that once was half the size. With the staying power of this decadant elixir, it will be worth the cost since it shoudl last a very long time!

on 9/11/2008 8:52:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

At first sniff on the skin....I get a big opening of sweet chocolate, which quickly fades....then... subtle wafts of rum...which I liked! Then just the slightest hint of rose popping out. The notes list black pepper or peppercorns, but I get no pepper. Nice, not really unique, and thank goodness, I don't "need" a FB:) Notes listed: Black Pepper, Rose, Rum & Chocolate. The dry down to me is the best part of this scent....but nothing mezmerizing.

Popular Fragrances