CLINIQUE Clarifying Lotion #3

CLINIQUE Clarifying Lotion #3

3.3

2011 Reformulation: Water, Alcohol denat., Salicylic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Trehelose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citric Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-4, Violet 2, Red 6, Orange 4

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

These are horrible. When I worked in the Beauty Industry we used to use these to take nail polish off or marks that were left on the counters.

They are super stripping, drying and leaves skin inflamed. Really dried out and irritated my skin.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

First of all I have to give a shout out to my girl BarbiH for mentioning this worked for her skin type (which is similar to mine). Had she not mentioned it, I never would have tried it. I had an awful experience with Clinique 3 step 20 years ago and never looked back. But this toner is a diamond in the rough!
Lets start from the beginning - I started using Differin gel not long after it became available OTC here in the U.S. It works really well for active breakouts and overall skin smoothing, but a year later I still had some stubborn sebaceious filaments that, after failing with other exfoliants, I assumed I was stuck with forever. 3-4 weeks of using this and they were gone. I mean, literally gone. My pores are smaller and refined, and any occasional breakouts that Differin can't clear on it's own, clear with ease with the help of Clarifying Lotion3.
I've literally tried them all - Paula's Choice (increase in breakouts), Stridex pads (irritation), BR P50 (major irritation/hives), and other lesser known brands that simply aren't as effective on my combo skin. This is my winner winner chicken dinner.
Despite having alcohol and witch hazel as main ingredients, my face doesn't mind. (I'm one of the unlucky ones that can't use witch hazel straight - it breaks me out in hives, I don't know why). I've actually had an easier time with my dehydration issues since adding this to my routine - go figure!
But a few words of advice. Especially if you're using other acids or retinoids, or if your skin is sensitive like mine. Ease in to this. Don't jump right in and drench your face with it morning and night. I use Differin gel every other night, and now use this on the "off" nights (so, also every other night), and no acne treatments in the A.M. Eventually, in a perfect world, I'd like to build up to being able to use this every A.M., but I'm not going to rush it - that never ends well.
I cleanse, pat my face dry, then pour a pinch of this out onto my fingertips and pat it around my problem areas. Then I'll wait 3-5 min or so, and move on with the rest of my moisturizing routine. I also use it along my hairline on a cotton pad after every cleanse, to remove buildup in that area (that I'm prone to getting).
The smaller, $16 size lasted me just over a month - about 5.5 weeks - so it is a bit of an investment... But I guess price is relative. When I ran out of the smaller bottle I purchased the bigger one for $25, and it seems much more cost effective.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Huge bottle for 15 bucks. last a while. This has been the best toner at keeping the oil at bay. Swipe my face with a soaked cotton ball and minimal oiliness 4 hours later. Really helps to minimize an oily t-zone. Less overall blemishes as well.

on 7/3/2018 9:24:00 PM

I use this product in the mornings and at night I use #2 and I love both. Definitely I can see that it helps my skin and it gives the freshness. When I don’t want to wash my face during the day, I use the product and it feels completely fresh. Love it.

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

Eyes: Violet

I just bought the set and I am pleasantly surprised. I was very surprised when I put this clarifying lotion on for the first time. It is very strong and smells like pure alcohol. Makes my skin burn slightly too. However, that only lasts a few seconds and once the initial burning goes away my skin feels extremely clean and fresh and soft. It also manages to pick up any remaining dirt or makeup on my face. I use the dramatically different moisturizing gel after and my face feels like a whole new face! So far so good! I just wish it wasn't so strong when it touches the skin.

on 7/1/2018 11:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

I've used this product off and on for years. I've tried other toners but I always come back to this one. I use it every night after cleansing and removing my makeup and before applying my night cream. It leaves my skin smoother overtime and also removes any trace of makeup I might have missed. This is one of those rare products that's worth every penny.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've been using the 3 step system for combination-oily skin for a month now, and all I can say is, two out of the three products are replaceable. Not this. This full size bottle cost me $15 at Bealls. I can see a HUGE improvement in my skin since using it.

At first, I got the sample size of the 3 step system. I only used the cleaning liquid and the moisturizer at first, thinking the toner would be too drying. Yes, my skin was better, but I took a chance on the toner and that's when the magic happened.
My skin has always had problematic texture, and I have noticed that it does much better with chemical exfoliating than mechanical. Most exfoliating products cause me burns or irritation. Some just haven't made a difference I could see. This stuff gave me the lack of texture I always wanted! My wrinkles look less pronounced, my pores are smaller and my skin much smoother and soft. My foundation looks better too. I go without makeup much more often since starting the 3 step system and this toner made a huge difference.
I use the Vitamin C powder cleanser, this toner and the Smart Moisturizer. Perfect combo.

on 3/28/2018 8:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

After years of looking for a toner that would work on my super oily yet sensitive skin, I can finally say that I have found it. My main concerns regarding my skin are oiliness, obviously, but also huge pores on my nose and cheeks that cannot be hidden even with makeup. I had tried countless toners in every price range before, but none of them seemed to work as well as I wished. So, since I saw many people raving about it and since it's considered one of the best toners for oily skin types ever, I figured it was worth a try. And Iove it! My pores appear significantly smaller, my oil has finally been reduced, and my skin hasn't become dry or anything, just honestly healthy and dewy (not greasy). My nose still gets a little oily a few hours after washing it, but I don't think it'll ever completely go away so I'm learning to not let it bother me too much; plus, this might have to do with the fact that I'm currently not using a moisturiser suited for oily skin. Also, I think that as my pores get cleaner and unclogged, I will start producing less oil. I am very satisfied with the results so far and hoping that they will improve overtime. The price is not the worst for my country's standards, either, and it delivers what I wanted so I will certainly repurchase it. BTW: although this is called an "exfoliating lotion" it is NOT an exfoliator, it works as a toner.

on 2/10/2018 1:51:00 PM

This was my first toner I ever bought from Clinique as a oily faced teenager! I like their oily bar soap a lot so I figured I should try their toner as a 2 nd step also & I don't want to go too strong to the #4 strength for fear of burning me with the alcohol & I knew the #2 toner did nothing & was bad just alcohol & menthol! The only toners that do any exfoliating is the 3 4 & acne ones

From what I recall as a teenager it was such a while ago ii think 💭 I just used it only every once in a while to freshen up my face in between washing my face to keep down the oil ! I never did their twice a day exfoliating thing Bc I knew all the alcohol was going to be bad for my skin! I would never buy this again & I have so many little try me samples of this toner I got which Il use up but never buy their toners again! I'm a # 4 in their skin diagnosis
I really like the analogy of how some reviewers have said Clinique clarifying lotions are the junk food & fast food of skincare! LOL! &I agree especially in back in the day when their antiiquated 3 steps only had bar soap & the yellow oily lotion as a option only! It's this harsh system that gives Clinique its bad reputation! I think Clinique cleansers & toners are better suited for oily younger tougher skin types that are sensitive to fragrance

on 1/5/2018 12:42:00 PM

Worst toner I ever tried; should be called alcoholic potion rather than a “toner”!