Coty Kate Moss - Velvet Hour

Coty Kate Moss - Velvet Hour
Kate Moss - Velvet Hour

2.8

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Really love this scent! I love the gorgeous packaging and the deep blue bottle it comes in. The scent itself seems very mysterious and mystical. It reminds of the scent of insense and smoke when you go to a fortune teller. There is also something very elegant and poised about this scent. I am not sure what time "velvet hour" is, but I want to live in this fragrance all the time.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I was watching a Parfums Noir collection video on Youtube, and this very beautiful woman with immaculate taste and a charming European accent held up the Kate Moss Velvet Hour bottle. I have a penchant for buying perfumes that have a dark bottles (scarlet red, black, or blue) and sexy, femme fatale feel (e.g. Dior Addict, Boucheron Trouble, Black Cashmere, Black Orchid, Hypnotic Poison...etc)
Velvet Hour would never be on my radar if it wasn't for this review.

I paid very little for this perfume, and I must admit that I really enjoy the look of the bottle and the juice inside. This wouldn't be my choice for a night on the town because I find it to be rather casual, I usually wear this during the day. I think it would be light enough to wear in the nighttime during the summer, but in the winter it wouldn't be my first choice for a going out scent due to its cleanness. To my nose, this smells very clean, almost detergent like, slightly sweet and woodsy. It sort of reminds me of a lighter version of Yves Saint Laurent Nu. There's definitely an androgynous edge to this that I really enjoy. It's strange that this perfume is marketed to a younger, mainstream crowd because I think this is sort of unusual. Overall, I really like Velvet Hour and I have no regrets about purchasing it.

on 10/16/2010 3:38:00 PM

First of all, I got this at a discounter store for $12. So it's hard to beat that bargain. I think I'd pull a lippie if I paid anywhere near full price for this.

That being said, this is a nice fragrance, far better than I would have expected. I'm not crazy about the top notes on me: it's a bit sweet and fruity for me on the top notes--it may be the freesia--and I get a laundry-type musk note which is not my favorite. But moving into the middle and base notes, it's a very pleasant, woody/incensey blend with a bit of spice. It reminds me a bit of Donna Karan's Black Cashmere, albeit a less complex, more mainstream version. It would be nice for fall and winter.

So if you can find this discounted, it's worth a try!

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine

Velvet Hour sounds so intriguing! And the bottle with its blue juice and and dark blue cap is so chic. The scent began nice enough with fruits, flowers, and woods - a cross between sweetness and some greens. But a very odd, out-of-place note emerged between the middle and base notes and it turned Velvet Hour into that dreaded Lady Stetson!

on 1/24/2010 12:58:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I first tried this on in a department store and really liked it - a smoky yet clean scent. I kept thinking about it, broke down and ordered a 100ml bottle online for about $35NZD which is an absolute steal. When it arrived I was so excited to try it on but alas was disappointed - it doesn't seem to smell the way it did when I first tried it on. This may be because I have started the BCP since then, so I'm not blaming the fragrance but the effect from it now is a very non-descript 'pleasant' scent. No particular notes stand out, there is a slight smokiness and a light floral accord and staying power is average. It isn't an overpowering smell and it would be hard to overdo it, unlike Michael Kors which is the olfactory equivalent of a fire alarm after two sprays, but it doesn't immediately fade to nothing like Benefit's Maybe Baby did on me. I feel it is too tame for its name 'Velvet Hour', because it is more of an inoffensive office scent with an oriental slant on me. I won't repurchase but will definitely use up the bottle as an everyday scent when I feel like blending in with the crowd.
Edit: this smells lovely sprayed on cushions and blankets.

on 12/6/2009 2:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Smells like pure incense.

on 11/14/2008 10:50:00 AM

Fortunately I didn`t buy this perfume,but sprayed some on my wrist at cosmetics store. Well,it`s pure alcohol and 20 min later it starts to smell like lemon. Very boring fragrance,nothing unique about it,ugly model - ugly perfume.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

VELVET HOUR is a smoky evening fragrance. I did like the overall impression it creates, but I cant separate any of the individual notes in it - it's a strange spicy/powdery floral mixture.

The dry down of smoked wood adds something unique to this from my other fragrances. A dark spicey undertone that is lovely and warming on chilly autumn/winter evenings.

Scent notes: blue pepper, freesia, cashmere incense, patchouli, nutmeg, sandalwood, amber, ebony and wood.

UPDATE: After a while I began to suffer from my usual migraines and sickness whenever I wore this, so I gave it away. Such a shame.

Popular Fragrances