Maybelline New York XXL Extensions [DISCONTINUED]

Filtered by hair type : Other age: 25-29
Maybelline New York XXL Extensions [DISCONTINUED]
XXL Extensions [DISCONTINUED]XXL Extensions [DISCONTINUED]XXL Extensions [DISCONTINUED]XXL Extensions [DISCONTINUED]

3.7

Price: $

Price: $

on 2/27/2009 11:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is a review comparing the XXL Extension with the Intense XXL.

The Maybelline Intense XXL version of this mascara that came out before the XXL Extension version was my HG mascara. I purchased the XXL Extension because I was curious, after reading the reviews on MUA, why this had higher reviews than the Intense XXL.

Compared with the Intense version, Step 1 of the XXL Extension (the white primer part) works much better. My lashes become much more dense and it lengthens very well. I suppose that is why this version is called "XXL Extension." However, Step 2 of the XXL Extension does not work as well as Step 2 on the Intense version. For some reason, the formula seems more dry so it does not coat the lashes as well. As a result, it does not build up volume and it does not coat the "white" lashes as well.

Between the two, I prefer the Intense XXL version.

This one lengthens my lashes nicely, but it flakes in within a few hours despite not rubbing my eyes at all. And the flakes are a bit too large for me to justify keeping it around. By the way, there's no difference on my lashes if I use the primer. It works the same either way.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I was originally going to purchase the XXL Curl Power mascara when this caught my eye. I have been a long time fan of the Intense XXL formula but it has the tendency to make my lashes go a little wonky. The basecoat (step #1) of XXL Extensions "tames" lashes by "uncrossing unruly lashes and lock[ing] them into place". I don't really have an issue with untamed lashes but any mascara with the word "extensions" in the name is bound to get my hard earned money. The basecoat is more creamy and less fibrous than the Intense XXL bascoat. The brushes are soft and totally round. No flat slides, odd shapes or weird spikey bristles to have to contend with. The second step does a great job covering all of the white base coat on the first coat. It didn't create that faux lashes from a tube effect but delivered solid results. Not much in the way of volumizing though. It didn't claim to do anything for volume but it would have been a pleasant surprise. Overall, I am happy with my purchase. It was about $6 from Walmart.