Sodium Sulfacetamide 10% and Sulfur 5% Wash

4.7

on 3/26/2016 6:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Surprisingly really pleased with this cleanser, which my dermatologist prescribed as part of my rosacea papules and pustules treatment/routine. I was fearful it would dry me out, but the opposite is true! I've stopped using my previous cleansers completely because in comparison, those don't leave my face as soft, hydrated, and breakout-free as this.

If I cleanse twice a day (as prescribed), it'll last 1-2 months. More often then not I only rinse my face with water or micellar water in the morning, which gives me 2-3 months before I have to refill the prescription. I was given enough prescriptions to last me a year and a half, though my insurance only lets me refill the prescription every 45 days. Even if I'm not running low or completely out of this cleanser, I always refill it the first day I can to keep my reserve stockpile full!

Around my time of the month, I also use this as a mask to draw cystic hormonal acne to a head---applying it dry and waiting 10 minutes before washing off.

Definitely a great, gentle acne fighting product. 4/5 lippies because of its potent smell.

Product label instructions to help you incorporate this into your routine without experiencing unwanted side effects or adverse reactions:
- Apply cleanser once or twice daily to affected areas or as directed by your physician.
- Wet skin and liberally apply to areas to be cleansed.
- Massage gently into skin for 10-20 seconds, working into a lather.
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
- If drying occurs, it may be controlled by rinsing of Sodium Sulfacetamide 10% & Sulfur 5% Cleanser sooner or using less often.

My derm prescribed this cleanser along with tretinoin gel 3 years ago for a sudden bout of adult acne I had and I always assumed it was the tretinoin that did wonders for my skin. Recently I ran out of the cleanser and within weeks my skin flared up again with pimples. This was a major surprise because I suddenly realized that the only thing I did differently was to stop using the cleanser. So IT MUST BE THIS FABULOUS CLEANSER that has been keeping my skin clear. ❤️❤️❤️

To Read all 20 Reviews, Login or Join

on 10/17/2015 12:49:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I went to a dermatologist a couple years ago for problems with cystic acne. She advised that I take several rounds of antibiotics as well as a birth control. I wasn't comfortable with doing either of those things, so she prescribed me this face wash and a spot treatment. I didn't have high hopes but this wash is my HG now. If I run out my face is a wreck within a few days. I use Cetaphil antibacterial bar soap to remove the dirt/makeup from the day, then the sulfacetmaind/sulfur face wash, and moisturize. As expected, it does have a very strong sulfur smell, but I can get over that for the results I'm getting.

One complaint I have is the oiliness of my skin since using this wash. Still, HG for me.

I'm shocked no huge makeup company has tried selling this as a high quality miracle face wash! I mean, it smells pretty bad and doesn't exfoliate but frankly, I don't care. This is incredible. I got it as a prescription (he gave me like 5 refills) and the bottle is enormous. I was diagnosed with Perioral Dermatitis and was told I was basically permanently screwed. Gave me this and some antibiotic gel. I feel like my skin is looking better than with any super expensive products and/or washes I've ever used. Also gave me a prescription for Nicozel or something but, I don't think I'm going to need it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

my dermatologist prescribed this to me for my cystic acne and rosacea, and I'm so glad she did! within 2 weeks I've noticed that my face wasn't as red and irritated and I haven't had any breakouts! the only downside is that it doesn't do a great job at controlling oil, but I can live with that.

I developed seborrheic dermatitis, like another reviewer on here, and went to a dermatologist. He gave me a perscription for this, and told me to wash my face twice a day.

I had great skin up until I hit 21, almost a year ago now. That's when I started getting patches of what i thought was eczema flair ups on my chin. That spread to all over my face eventually: it was patchy, bumpy, and my skin would flake off around my hairline and my eyebrows. If I tried to cover it with foundation, my skin would get flakey. It ended up looking worse, so I just gave up putting anything over it very quickly (foundation never seemed to make the actual rash any worse though! Just made the dry, dead skin more easy to see--plus it wouldn't stick to my skin anywhere)

It burned so sooo badly
I was applying cortizone cream on it almost every 10 minutes just to get the burning to lessen. One of my classmates asked if I had an acid burn, if that tells you anything about how bad it could look. But the burning and itching was most certainly the wrost part of the rash.
My skin was really oily, too. That seemed to be giving me some really fun cystic acne very frequently.
That was not fun.

After getting this, for a couple of months, the rash persisted--but the burning was gone. It was obviously much healthier, and the dermatologist said that that was likely to stay. There just wasn't a way to get rid of the rash for good. I was very upset about that--but at least it didn't burn!!! That's good enough for me, but still dissapointing. It also got rid of all acne VERY quickly. I was very impressed with that.

The rash actually ended up totally going away after a couple of months! I was so happy. Now, it flairs up every once and a while: stress seems to be the largest factor on if the rash comes back.
Not washing off sweat seems to be another big thing.
It'll also come back if I miss a wash or two.
But, for a large portion of the time, IT IS TOTALLY GONE! NO REDNESS! No dandruff comming off of my eyebrows! No bumps!

I'm so relieved; this stuff has really helped me out. I don't know what I would do without it.

Packaging isn't anything fancy, but it gets the job done! It's a bottle, and I can get the product out without any trouble.
There's nothing bad to say except that I've got these red and blue "shake well" and "for external use only" stickers on it. They're not sealed at all, so the dyes leak all over the place when they get wet. I'm not even sure if they're originally part of the bottle, or if my pharmacy put them on.

The only thing it hasn't helped with is the oily-ness of my skin. I think that's causing foundation to change colors, which is very obnoxious. I think that's just going to be how my face is from now on, since it makes since with what the SD does.
But the rash is gone, and my skin is soooo much more healthy (and pain free!) now that my SD is under control.

on 7/16/2014 1:59:00 PM

UPDATE: This spring marks 2 years I've used this product. My skin is wonderful. I never, ever, EVER gets zits and never even THINK about my skin anymore. It's truly incredible. I don't even use Ziana anymore (currently breastfeeding) and my skin stays perfect.
_____________________________
While I would not say my skin was an absolute 'mess', I've for years battled continually congested skin, breakouts and regular rounds of monthly cystic chin acne (usually 1 or 2 at a time that take 2 months to go away), along with many just-under-the-surface bumps along the chin/jaw area. Along the way I've used Retin-A, Taz, and now Ziana. They've all helped to some extent, but would never completely get rid of my bumpy skin - esp. along the chin. Finally after a trip to Mexico which caused all sorts of skin havac, I went to a new dermatologist (for both a horrid extraction and several rounds of cortisone. Gross) and she wrote me a prescription for this. I didn't expect much, but boy has it turned things around for me. Only 15 bucks with insurance. As others have said, I first use an oil to remove my eye makeup and sometimes lightly wash all over with a commercial face cleanser. Then use this stuff for 20 seconds and lightly finish off with my Ziana. Honestly, no other product has gotten me to the point of simply not thinking or worrying about my skin anymore because it's so clear.

I've already gotten used to the fragrance (puppies drowned in a sulfur spring?) - and my dear BF swears he can't smell it when I crawl into bed with my beautiful, even, glowing skin. Praise Jesus.

on 6/1/2014 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Amazing. I was on antibiotics for 3 months and clendamyacine cream. Couldn't get the redness and scarring to go away. I noticed results after the first day of this cleanser. Day 6 and it's almost completely gone. We'll worth the money and believe me, I spent enough on other prescriptions. You smell like a coal mine at bedtime but that's the worst and only bad thing about it.

on 11/15/2013 9:41:00 PM

MIRACLE FACE WASH! I have never had serious acne. In high school i had flawless skin, now i'm 20 and have started breaking out around my mouth and forehead. I went to a dermatologist and was diagnosed with rosacea (which i already assumed I had) and he prescribed me this Sodium Sulfacetamide 10% Sulfur 5% cleanser and an antibiotic. I tried the antibiotic for 2 days and hated how it made my stomach feel plus I don't like the idea of taking antibiotics long term for acne when there are so many other approaches. Instead I decided I'd strictly use the face wash twice a day and it made a noticeable difference. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS FOR ANYONE WITH ROSACEA OR SENSITIVE SKIN. I barley get any redness after I was my face and if any pimples come up they are usually gone within a day or so.

My only side note is that it does tend to make my skin a little dry in my T-zone area but my moisturizer evens that out.

on 10/18/2013 8:45:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I am SO happy I found this product. 8 months before my wedding, I went to the doc and told my story of years of acne misery. As a teenager I had a regular visit schedule with a dermatologist, and everything I used resulted in horrible, peeling red skin. I've always been too sensitive for most acne products.

So, feeling desperate, and worried that I might be married with my terrible acne covered face, I talked to my internist and she spent a while scrolling through long lists of acne medications asking me
What I'd tried before. There wasn't much I hadn't, and this was one if those products.

So I dutifully filled the prescription and went home to try it. Lo and behold, in only a few days my skin looked AMAZING. I seriously couldn't believe it. Was the secret to great skin really just this simple, cheap face wash? Crazy.

Using the wash regularly, I have actually managed to have periods where I have NO acne whatsoever. This wash won't undo the years of scarring, but to be able to have clear skin is such a joy, especially after all these years.

Why didn't my dermatologist try this years ago? I'll never know. But hopefully gals and guys who are having terrible acne issues and can't seem to tolerate the harshness of most medications will come across this product and request it from their docs.