Laura Mercier Eye Colour

Laura Mercier Eye Colour

4.1

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

(Updated in 2011) I have/had coffee ground, topaz, deep night, lapis (sapphire), lavender mist, mermaid (shimmery teal), princess (pink), buttercream, and the wild violet quad. You don't realize how reliable Laura Mercier's products are, and how thoughtful the packaging is, until you have used them for a while. LM is sensible like Bobbie Brown, but has a lot more flair. The eyeshadows have gone through several evolutions that saw significant changes in the color selection and the packaging. I feel the direction is towards neutrality and wearability, with the deliberate goal to offer the basic colors (brown, navy, gray, black, beige) in a variety of tones and finishes (matte, sateen, luster, and sequin). This is however achieved at the expense of the color range. I adore purple shadows, and LM used to have indigo, sapphire, violet, lavender, lilac, and everything in between, but now she only does them for the occasional holiday compact ("Silk Road" had two great purples). But the quality of the shadow is top-notch. The dark colors sustain great intensity, while the light ones remain pigmented despite their lightness, provided that an eyeshadow base is used. The shimmer never overwhelms. In terms of application, they are easy to apply, blend, and build, and will last from the morning til late afternoon, though I encourage a touch-up in the evening. All of the eyeshadows (and blushes as well) can be depotted for your personalized compact. I also recommend the LM e/s brush; my only complaint is that, though it grabs the color and applies it well, it also produces a bit of a fallout.

on 12/30/2003 8:17:00 PM

I adore LM's shimmer eye shadows and think they're hard to beat. Laura Mercier's colors are rich and so amazing--they can be very sheer or heavy, and it's very easy to control how dark/dramatic the look is. Plus, her colors are all beautiful, and most of them work on a wide variety of eye/skin/hair color combos. Fantastic. I've got almost all the shimmer shadows. The matte shadows come in gorgeous colors, but I find them a little harder to work with. Also, I find myself wishing time and again that LM would work out a charger system a la Trish McEvoy where shadow pans could be put into a magnetized palette. These shadows are huge (1 full ounce) and only come in singleton packaging. That would make putting together a look much easier, would cut down on the bulk of the packaging, and would be much more portable! Nevertheless, I can't bring myself to give these shadows less than a 5 because they're absolutely better than anything else I've ever used.

on 6/14/2012 10:40:00 AM

I've used every kind of shadow that's out there and my favorite formula is Laura Mercier by far. There are various finishes: matte, sateen, sequin and luster and I adore them all. They are buildable, blendable, smooth and long lasting. The colors are sophisticated but not without flair. They are gorgeous. After using her products for a month or so I learned that Laura Mercier got her start as a painter and fell in love with doing portraits. As a painter myself, I can really appreciate the hard work it must have taken to create eyeshadows with such lovely pigmentation and texture.

on 2/29/2008 9:18:00 AM

Laura Mercier's shadows are my absolute favorite out of all the brands I've tried. I like BB's as well, but LM's blend better to me and are easier to work with and layer. I think they have the perfect amount of pigment, and they last forever. I always use her Eye Basics first to cover the veins on my lids, and set it with a little Secret Brightening powder, then the shadow. My favorites for my blue eyes are: Buttercream or Morning Dew for a base, Sandstone with Topaz or Whiskey or Caramel, Nutmeg with Vanilla Nuts, Cashmere, Guava, Margeaux, Truffle or Coffee Grounds as a liner over my Special Brown pencil or Bronze Copper pencil. I love Cashmere with Fresco in the crease, Starfruit is nice as a wash to look wide a wake, so is Sandstone. Not crazy for the package, because they break off the hinge and so you have to be careful with that. With these colors, it just makes blue eyes pop and you notice the eyes, not the shadow. They are beautiful shadows. Great quality, and they last forever!

on 8/6/2004 9:19:00 PM

A friend of mine has tried to turn me on to LM for years, as she swears by it. But I thought the colors somehow didn't work for me (Asian, light/med complexion). I finally figured out the "trick": LM Eye Basics. With the base, the colors look more like what's in the pan, and they stay put. Now I "get it" why this is so popular; it layers very well and blends well with other pretty LM e/s shades (I blend Hazelnut with Lavender Mist). However, I would definitely not recommend this e/s without the base, as it fades quickly and the color does not stay true (too transparent) on its own.

Other reviewers have commented on the packaging ... I have seen "just pans" (without the boxes) for sale on eBay that would fit into a Trish McEvoy planner. Not sure which stores carry just the pans though.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This to me (and I have about 5 shades of this now) is at best a very average eyeshadow. If I was to use these and a drugstore eyeshadow and not know which was which, I probably would not be able to tell the difference. I first bought 3 shades while on vacation many years ago. Then after reading rave reviews about a couple other shades, I bought a couple more. I give up. Maybe these shadows (eye colours) just do not work well with my eyelids. But for this price point (and I realize some dislike mentioning price points, but to me, it factors in), I feel like this should be a 'wow!!' product for anyone. I've tried these with various primers, with no primer, with various bases, applied with various different brushes, even old-school sponge applicators. Yeah, I have actually tried several of these over the years, and each one has been a 'dud' for me, First of all, for me, these have no pigmentation. And when I do get them to apply, they apply very patchy. Then they wear off in less than 3 to 4 hours. I give up. Also, the packaging/compact I find to be a pain to open.

on 9/17/2014 9:25:00 PM

I spent a LOT of money on the petite Bonbons holiday palettes and almost EVERY single one of the 30 shades turns into the same muddy shade of brownish gray on my lid. I won't even use it anymore and it's a shame because it was really expensive and I was super excited about the beautiful rainbow of colors. I've never had this problem with any of my naked palettes. NOT WORTH IT!!

MY HG of shadows. Over 40 and can't do shimmery, but Laura Mercier matte are perfection, last all day and doesn't give me the creasy crumply look. I love the custom compact.

on 1/3/2013 12:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Texture - softest eye shadow I've ever tried but then again, I don't use much eye shadow much as I don't like the way they grate at my sensitive skin. So soft! So buttery!! All this time I've been using Laura Mercier Creme Colour which is another great option for people who cannot stand eye shadow.

I have 2 eye colour:
Gold Dust
Seashell Pink (Sateen)

Gold Dust is very light gold but not white. Use this as brow and inner eye highlighter.
Seashell Pink is very light pink with gold undertones (and most probably flecks too). It is Gold Dust with pink.
Both colours are pretty sheer.

So these 2 colours are very pleasant and suitable for people who wants to achieve the healthy barely there look.

See the colours here:

on 12/8/2012 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I like the LM line. I find that as I am growing older, the "no make up make up" looks the best on me that is, natural. I need definition to my eyes, and this in the vanilla nuts, cafe au lait and coffee grounds are my 3 go to colors for definition and lining. I also have gosh knows how many other LM colors in a book of colors. The Kir Royal is gorgeous purple and I use for evenings or a more dramatic look, or as a liner. I love the fact that I can take out the pan and refill the pan that I need. I run out of the lighter colors the most. In many pallates, I run out of my go to colors first and then have alot of specialty colors that I use once in a while. The pans allow me to customize for my every day look, refill what I need, and have it at my fingertips. Yes, it costs more. I buy when it is on sale. I find that I save money in the long run as the drugstore makeup is so poorly packaged, i end up throwing away a $5 - $10.00 item due to poor packaging. With the LM, I get better quality and better packaging thus, my go to day look is at my fingertips and doesn't fall apart every few months, I can re purchase the lighter color more often (re fills), and the colors that I use for lining and eyebrows (Coffee Grounds) will last me 3 yrs. It is all about quick fast easy good looks from LM. Can't complain.