ANESSA Perfect UV Sunscreen EX SPF50+ PA+++

ANESSA Perfect UV Sunscreen EX SPF50+ PA+++
Perfect UV Sunscreen EX SPF50+ PA+++Perfect UV Sunscreen EX SPF50+ PA+++

4.3

Original (gold bottle): Dimethicone, Water, Alcohol, Zinc Oxide, Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Isopropyl Myristat, Talc, Isododecane, Octocrylene, POLYBUTYLENE GLYCOL/PPG-9 Trimethylsiloxysilicate, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Titanium Dioxide, Glycerin, Diisopropyl sebacate, VINYL DIMETHICONE/ METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER, Dextrin palmitate, Xylitol, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, PEG/PPG-14/7 dimethyl ether, Sodium chloride, Ethyl Ascorbic Acid, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Angelica Acutiloba Root Extract, Thymus Serpillum Extract, Rosa Canina Fruit Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Curcuma Longa Root Extract, Isostearic Acid, Aluminum hydroxide, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Stearic Acid, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Distearyldimonium chloride, Trisodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, BHT, Sodium Metabisulfite, FragranceMild, for sensitive skin (light gold bottle): Cyclopentasiloxane, Zinc Oxide, Diisopropyl sebacate, Methyl methacrylate crosspolymer, Water, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Pentaerythrityl tetraethylhexanoate, Triethylhexanoin, Diethylhexyl succinate, Titanium Dioxide, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dextrin palmitate, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, PEG/PPG-14/7 dimethyl ether, Sodium chloride, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Angelica Acutiloba Root Extract, Rosa roxburghii extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Aluminum hydroxide, Stearyl Phosphate, Silica, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Pyrosulfite, Tocopherol

on 5/25/2010 1:10:00 AM

I really wanted to like this product - it's smooth, doesn't leave a direful white cast that most sunscreens do, doubles as a primer and keeps my face matte all day... unfortunately, it causes congestion on my face. I have used it on and off for several months now and have noticed clogged pores whenever I use this product for 2 or more days consecutively. It is waterproof and thus I used my Dermalogica oil cleanser to remove it - but to no avail, breakouts continued to occur.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Original reviews:

This sunscreen has been number 1 very hyped Asian sunscreen for many years. It recently became available in two different versions.
Golden bottle (product preview or third picture) - Anessa Perfect UV Sunscreen Aqua Booster SPF50+ PA++++
Light gold bottle (second picture) - Anessa Perfect UV Sunscreen Aqua Booster Mild SPF50+ PA++++
The difference between two is huge, mild one formulated for sensitive skins, doesn't have alcohol, mineral oils, fragrance or preservatives among ingredients. The original formula is super waterproof.

Here are the ingredients lists:

Like an idiot, I've managed to check an English version of the ingredients list for a Mild formula but bought an original one.
It's very watery, a pleasure to apply, and it doesn't leave a white cast. It's 80 min water resistant and easy to reapply. It will remove any shine from the face.
I have sensitive dehydrated skin and high alcohol content from the original formula badly dried it out till the deepest layers (at least that how it feels). I'm very sensitive to Isopropyl Myristate, so now I have clogged pores and pimples.
I think it's an amazing product for people with an oily non-sensitive skin, but I will purchase a sensitive skin version and review it later.
For now, I can't give it more than 3 stars.

UPDATE: Sensitive skin version - Anessa Perfect UV Sunscreen Aqua Booster Mild SPF50+ PA++++
WOW! My search for a facial sunscreen is over. I used it daily for a month now, so I feel confident to write an update.
- the mild version is a bit thicker than the original formula, but there is also no white cast;
- it's non-drying, even if used without moisturizer underneath;
- no oily residue whatsoever if I use it without moisturizer underneath;
- no clogged pores;
- no irritation;
- works great under makeup.
AMAZING product! HG! Must have from now on.

UPDATE April 10th 2018:
This sunscreen (at least it's Sensitive skin version since I can't bare the dryness of the original formula) doesn't work under the sun. It was great during the winter, but my face becomes really red and irritated after 2 hours outdoor walk and it's only the beginning of April. I live in Northern California and this sunscreen doesn't do the job even here. My husband took it for a ski trip in the Alps and got burned.
I regret repurchasing it. This is a good sunscreen only for at the office days. Doesn't worth considering for summer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have mixed feelings about this product - I really wanted to like it. First of all, this sunscreen does go on wonderfully, it has a nice matte finish and is runny enough to be applied consistently all over the face. It does dry transparent and does not leave a white cast. Because of its strong protection, I feel comfortable going out into the summer sun with this on.

However, I do find that this balls up a bit under my makeup, but most importantly, it doesn't seem to be non-comedogenic on my skin. I'm not saying that it breaks me out with cystic acne, but I found that ever since I switched to using MAC's SPF50 sun protection primer, my skin improved a lot - my pores were significantly less clogged and for once in my life, my forehead was almost completely clear.

I'm sure this product does wonders for others, but it just wasn't for me. The scent also bothers me a bit - I can always catch a whiff of alcohol when I first squeeze it out of the tube, which worries me. It is also quite expensive, so I won't be repurchasing in the future.

on 4/15/2010 5:06:00 AM

Function-wise, this probably does block out the sun as well as any product out there. But this makes me break out, and not in the pimply way, but in the angry--itchy-rash-way. I usually have very good skin that's pretty resistant to harsh chemicals, but this made my forehead clogged and my cheeks broke out in a rash. I didn't realize what had made my skin so ragged until it was too late, because I just slap this on in the morning and forget about it. Also, it's hard to spread, which is strange because this is a complete liquid. It dries very matte, and makes my hands feel like I've spread powdered chalk over them. I'd only wear this when I'm sure to be standing in the sun for a full day, or else I'll skip because it's hard to wash off and it will wreck my skin in under 6 hours.

on 1/22/2018 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I bought this based on the great reviews but I had some problems. I bought the one in the light golden bottle, called the mild version for sensitive skin. It is supposed to be alcohol and fragrance free. It was very drying so I did use over moisturizer and my finacea (Rx for rosacea) but it still felt irritating and my face felt itchy but it was a mild itchiness that I could ignore. At first.

But my neck was a different story. I realized my neck was bothered by the Anessa so I quit putting it on my neck but somehow it would migrate to my neck through transfer from my hands but it was enough to make my neck break out in a rash each time I wore the sunscreen. The rash got so bad I had to use a cortisone cream.

I tried to keep it away from my neck but it was impossible and soon my face was itching too bad to keep using the SS. It is too bad because this had a very nice dry feeling and did not break me out, just caused rash and dry skin. Considering how drying this mild version was I cannot imagine a version with alcohol in it.

on 1/7/2012 4:49:00 AM

This feels like velvet on my skin. Just beautiful. It dries completely matte and clear on my dark skin tone. I haven't experienced any breakout yets. My makeup glides on over the top.

So it fulfils every single criteria of sunscreen that I wanted... except one....
It still made my face hyperpigmented in my problem areas.

I bought this 2 months ago in Korea (Whilst on my way to Europe) after having a massive fail with other sunscreens I thought I'd try this given the good reviews. Well one day I went out in the sun with this on (just my face as I was fully covered because it was WINTER) after 15 mins I noticed that my face had hyperpigmented. I ran and put my hat back on.

When trying to put makeup on the next morning my foundation did not match around my mouth, on my cheeks and forehead (this are the spots that hyperpigment for me). The foundation looked particularly grey around my mouth.

I was so sad that after 15 mins this had made me hyperpigment faster than when I don't wear sunscreen at all.
In everyother way it is perfect.

I will stick to wearing my hat until I find a sunscreen that works.
Maybe I'll try one of the European ones that are meant to have high PPD/UVA coverage.

on 7/30/2009 2:02:00 PM

It goes matte on the skin, is waterpoof & provides good protection. However, I do not like the sticky feeling esp during this terribly hot summer. I have to use a lot of cleansing oil to remove it. I always make sure that I cleanse my face thoroughly but still my pores got clogged.

on 12/21/2012 2:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Not bad, nothing special though. It doesn't break out my skin though! So that is the biggest plus.

on 8/30/2012 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I live in the US but got this from SASA.com (it's an Asian beauty store, much like how Sephora is in the US). It was about $30, so not TOO expensive but still a bit pricey compared to drugstore sunscreens. The bottle is made of durable plastic and is metallic gold; I believe this replaced the Perfect Smooth version, which is in a silver bottle. I'm not a huge fan of the tilted cap, but the tiny little nozzle is very helpful for dispensing only a little product at a time. Since the formula of this SS is so runny, it helps prevent spillage if you accidently tip the bottle over.

Applying this SS was strange and took a bit of a learning curve. After shaking the bottle, I pour out a big droplet and quickly rub it over one side of my face. It absorbs rapidly so you'll have to repeat this process a few times to cover your whole face. It dries into this smooth, matte finish, which is LOVELY and really helpful as a primer underneath your makeup. I don't think this product is drying but then again, I have oily skin - I'd recommend wearing a moisturizer underneath anyways, especially if you're combo, normal or dry-skinned.

The most amazing thing about this SS is just how MATTE it keeps me. I don't have to blot at all (I usually have to blot 2x over the course of a work day in the summer) until about 12 hrs later. 14 hrs after I apply it, my skin is noticeably oily, but being oil-free for 12 hrs is still incredible! This is definitely a keeper.

NOTE: Even though the new Perfect UV version of this SS is supposed to be "easier to remove" than older versions, I still have to use an oil cleanser to remove it. Be sure to be VERY THOROUGH about removing this product from your face.

Also, after a while, I noticed that I started to break out from this product, so I've taken off a lippie. This product is definitely not for sensitive or clog-prone skin. I wouldn't wear it past 12 hrs because every time I do, my skin starts breaking out and getting irritated.

on 5/3/2011 9:03:00 PM

This is a fantastic light, liquid sunscreen. It does dry my skin, so I need to apply moisturizer prior. Good waterproof protection. So far has not broken out my skin. I use DHC oil or Dermalogica Precleanse to remove it. I was lucky to find it in an Asian cosmetics shop in Texas.

Update: After trying other Japanese sunscreens, I have to say this one feels heavy and rubbery. Like a layer of latex on the skin, but not greasy. The Sofina and Biore sunscreens are lighter on the skin.