ANESSA Perfect UV Sunscreen EX SPF50+ PA+++

ANESSA Perfect UV Sunscreen EX SPF50+ PA+++
Perfect UV Sunscreen EX SPF50+ PA+++Perfect UV Sunscreen EX SPF50+ PA+++

4.3

Original (gold bottle): Dimethicone, Water, Alcohol, Zinc Oxide, Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Isopropyl Myristat, Talc, Isododecane, Octocrylene, POLYBUTYLENE GLYCOL/PPG-9 Trimethylsiloxysilicate, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Titanium Dioxide, Glycerin, Diisopropyl sebacate, VINYL DIMETHICONE/ METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER, Dextrin palmitate, Xylitol, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, PEG/PPG-14/7 dimethyl ether, Sodium chloride, Ethyl Ascorbic Acid, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Angelica Acutiloba Root Extract, Thymus Serpillum Extract, Rosa Canina Fruit Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Curcuma Longa Root Extract, Isostearic Acid, Aluminum hydroxide, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Stearic Acid, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Distearyldimonium chloride, Trisodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, BHT, Sodium Metabisulfite, FragranceMild, for sensitive skin (light gold bottle): Cyclopentasiloxane, Zinc Oxide, Diisopropyl sebacate, Methyl methacrylate crosspolymer, Water, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Pentaerythrityl tetraethylhexanoate, Triethylhexanoin, Diethylhexyl succinate, Titanium Dioxide, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dextrin palmitate, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, PEG/PPG-14/7 dimethyl ether, Sodium chloride, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Angelica Acutiloba Root Extract, Rosa roxburghii extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Aluminum hydroxide, Stearyl Phosphate, Silica, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Pyrosulfite, Tocopherol

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Original reviews:

This sunscreen has been number 1 very hyped Asian sunscreen for many years. It recently became available in two different versions.
Golden bottle (product preview or third picture) - Anessa Perfect UV Sunscreen Aqua Booster SPF50+ PA++++
Light gold bottle (second picture) - Anessa Perfect UV Sunscreen Aqua Booster Mild SPF50+ PA++++
The difference between two is huge, mild one formulated for sensitive skins, doesn't have alcohol, mineral oils, fragrance or preservatives among ingredients. The original formula is super waterproof.

Here are the ingredients lists:

Like an idiot, I've managed to check an English version of the ingredients list for a Mild formula but bought an original one.
It's very watery, a pleasure to apply, and it doesn't leave a white cast. It's 80 min water resistant and easy to reapply. It will remove any shine from the face.
I have sensitive dehydrated skin and high alcohol content from the original formula badly dried it out till the deepest layers (at least that how it feels). I'm very sensitive to Isopropyl Myristate, so now I have clogged pores and pimples.
I think it's an amazing product for people with an oily non-sensitive skin, but I will purchase a sensitive skin version and review it later.
For now, I can't give it more than 3 stars.

UPDATE: Sensitive skin version - Anessa Perfect UV Sunscreen Aqua Booster Mild SPF50+ PA++++
WOW! My search for a facial sunscreen is over. I used it daily for a month now, so I feel confident to write an update.
- the mild version is a bit thicker than the original formula, but there is also no white cast;
- it's non-drying, even if used without moisturizer underneath;
- no oily residue whatsoever if I use it without moisturizer underneath;
- no clogged pores;
- no irritation;
- works great under makeup.
AMAZING product! HG! Must have from now on.

UPDATE April 10th 2018:
This sunscreen (at least it's Sensitive skin version since I can't bare the dryness of the original formula) doesn't work under the sun. It was great during the winter, but my face becomes really red and irritated after 2 hours outdoor walk and it's only the beginning of April. I live in Northern California and this sunscreen doesn't do the job even here. My husband took it for a ski trip in the Alps and got burned.
I regret repurchasing it. This is a good sunscreen only for at the office days. Doesn't worth considering for summer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

This is my second Anessa sunscreen, and I bought it because my Shiseido perfect UV is running low. I thought that because the Anessa perfect essence is nice and decent on oily skin (it's meant for drier skin) the EX version would perform as nice :) and plus, it's totally sweat proof and waterproof undoubtedly. It would be perfect for someone living in a humid hot tropical country.

Like the perfect essence, it's been repackaged into the 2013 formula (PA +++ into PA ++++, now lightly fragranced, etc).

It has to be shaken to mix the formula and comes in the same squeeze tube like most of Shiseido sunscreens.

The consistency is very similar to the perfect essence. Whitish liquid with little air bubbles from the shaking. Where as the perfect UV is pinkish, this one is white. No strong fragrance even though it's lightly fragranced, sensitive skin users can use this.

One thing I noticed from this one is that it gives a matte finish, but it's not drying. The perfect UV is a bit drying on the eye area and cheekbones area if you apply too much. But this one is perfectly matte without drying even as you reapply thorughout the day! It gives a less powdery look compared to the perfect UV (Which makes your face looks so smooth it almost looked like you have just powdered your face) so it makes people believe you have a nice smooth make up free skin when you use it alone. Which is great for make up free face and everyday use :)

The other thing I noticed that this is totally waterproof! I swam for 1.5 hours and after I finished I see that there are no water droplets on my face! Perfect for outdoor and watersport activities :) be sure to use oil based remover to remove this

And of course, the most important thing is that this doesn't make me break out. I love this! Probably even better than the perfect UV which I claim to be my HG.

I got mine for 33 $ + shipping from ebay.com for 60 mL/2 fl.oz.

Overall, I would recommend this for any skin type, especially oily (and a bit flaky) skin type, because the formula is matte finish but not drying. And for those who wants to find a good waterproof and sweatproof sunscreen. For oilier skintype, I'd recommend the perfect UV

on 1/22/2018 12:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I bought this based on the great reviews but I had some problems. I bought the one in the light golden bottle, called the mild version for sensitive skin. It is supposed to be alcohol and fragrance free. It was very drying so I did use over moisturizer and my finacea (Rx for rosacea) but it still felt irritating and my face felt itchy but it was a mild itchiness that I could ignore. At first.

But my neck was a different story. I realized my neck was bothered by the Anessa so I quit putting it on my neck but somehow it would migrate to my neck through transfer from my hands but it was enough to make my neck break out in a rash each time I wore the sunscreen. The rash got so bad I had to use a cortisone cream.

I tried to keep it away from my neck but it was impossible and soon my face was itching too bad to keep using the SS. It is too bad because this had a very nice dry feeling and did not break me out, just caused rash and dry skin. Considering how drying this mild version was I cannot imagine a version with alcohol in it.

on 1/1/2018 2:04:00 AM

Currently there are 2 main types of Anessa sunscreen, indicated by gold and silver packaging. The gold type (Perfect UV Sunscreen Aqua Booster) is “super waterproof” and has a silky, light finish. The silver type (Essence UV Sunscreen Aqua Booster) is “waterproof” and extra moisturizing with a dewier finish. Both gold and silver are supposed to come off easily with regular soap or face wash, and currently also come in mild and facial formulations as well. (The basic gold and silver types are OK for both face and body use)

If I could have only one sunscreen for the rest of my life, it would be the basic gold one. It comes out really oily and the first time I tried it I thought I had made a terrible mistake, but within a minute the oil completely sank into my skin and left a silky, smooth, natural finish that was neither too dewy nor too matte. It balances my combination skin, calming the oily areas and protecting the dry areas, and caused no breakouts or other negative reactions. My makeup goes on easily over it, and it seems like it has something of a pore-smoothing primer effect. I would recommend the gold type for normal weather, and/or oily to combination skin.

I’ve also tried the silver facial type. I bought it during the height of summer and it was much too moist at that time. It sat on top of my skin like a thick wall of glossy slime and even though it didn't cause any breakouts I hated the way it felt. Fast forward to December when the temperature dropped below freezing and there was no humidity in the air, and this thick rich silver sunscreen came into its own. It gently hugs my skin and shields it from the elements like the loving hands of angels. The finish is no longer shiny, it’s natural, and it stays balanced all day long. The silver type is excellent for extremely dry weather and/or dry skin.

on 7/26/2013 9:37:00 AM

This review is for the 2013 version (PA++++, UV filters include ZO, Tinosorb S & Uvinul A Plus). This sunscreen, just as its predecessor, is the HG of sunscreens to me. The finish is absolutely unbeatable: a powdery, matte, barely there feeling, even if you apply the recommended 1/4 tsp several times a day.

This product doesn't ball up, doesn't cling to irregularities like beard stubbles (yes, a sunscreen savvy guy here), doesn't leave a white cast and can easily be applied without a mirror. Yes, it does contain a lot of alcohol, so might not be suited for people with very dry or sensitive skin. Also take care not to get this stuff in your eyes. Using a different, alcohol free sunscreen for your eye area might be a good idea. If this sunscreen is too drying or irritating for you, try Anesse Perfect Essence, which is more moisturising and seems to contain less alcohol. It has a less matte finish than Perfect UV though and also seems to be less resistant to sweating/rubbing.

For my normal/dry, not acne-prone skin, this sunscreen is amazing. It's the only highly protective sunscreen that I can use over and over again, without people asking if I'm hot/sweating (because of shine) or sick (because of white cast). Even though I'm on tretinoin, this product doesn't sting when applied.

Only small con: this new, more protective edition, is fragranced. Luckily, the scent is barely noticeable, nothing compared to the disgusting scent of many other Shiseido products.

Btw, I order my Anessa sunscreens at http://ichibanko.com: good prices, fast and kind service.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

It is a white liquid that goes on transparent on my skin and leaves a matte finish. This doesn't break me out at all. I think sometimes someone has a break out after using certain sunscreen is because the sunscreen is not removed completely. I remove this with cleansing oil as this is waterproof. I don't think you can remove this completely and thoroughly by cleansing milk only. It is basically impossible to remove this with ordinary soap and water, so I always have problems getting rid of this completely on my body as I don't use cleansing oil on my body! 1 lippie taken away for this. If not removed completely, you'll feel that there's a thin layer of powdery residue on your skin which you cannot rub off.

Interestingly, I also own and used the Sofina Perfect UV Lucent, which is also SPF50+ and PA+++ as this one, but I don't know why I would still tan a little bit using that but not this one. My skin colour remained the same after a few hours under the hot sun with this thing without replenishment.

However, I would need a moisturizer under this as I find it slightly drying on my normal to dry skin in winter. I would experience tingling on my drier cheeks without a moisturizer.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I heard about this sunscreen from Bois de Jasmin's blog earlier this summer. Anessa Perfect UV is a great sunscreen, albeit a bit pricey compared to other Japanese sunscreens. It has a runny consistency and needs to be shaken properly before application. Dries to a matte, comfortable finish and stays on all day until removal. I double-cleanse with Clinique's Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm followed by either Cerave hydrating or foaming cleanser to make sure it is properly removed, and have had no problems.

I'm in Canada and purchased a bottle from eBay for about $16. Shipping was fast (within a week or so) because the bottle is tiny (25ml) and the package came via air mail.

NOTE: I also purchased Biore UV Perfect Face Milk (30ml) and both are comparable in consistency and matte-finish.

The Biore is half the price of the Anessa, so in the future, I will likely stick with repurchasing the Biore instead.

Overall, a great sunscreen, though pricey compared to other Japanese brands with the same consistency and matte finish.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

If you travel to japan, I think you have to pick this product, you can find it in any matsumoto kiyoshi store

I use the one with golden bottle

This is a lightweight sunscreen, doesn't cause any breakout, doesn't leave any whitecast, and oil free

i think it's perfect for any skin type
So pricy but it worth the money and worth its holly grail status as one of the best sunscreen, no wonder people loves it.

Sadly, it’s not available in my country :(

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have mixed feelings about this product - I really wanted to like it. First of all, this sunscreen does go on wonderfully, it has a nice matte finish and is runny enough to be applied consistently all over the face. It does dry transparent and does not leave a white cast. Because of its strong protection, I feel comfortable going out into the summer sun with this on.

However, I do find that this balls up a bit under my makeup, but most importantly, it doesn't seem to be non-comedogenic on my skin. I'm not saying that it breaks me out with cystic acne, but I found that ever since I switched to using MAC's SPF50 sun protection primer, my skin improved a lot - my pores were significantly less clogged and for once in my life, my forehead was almost completely clear.

I'm sure this product does wonders for others, but it just wasn't for me. The scent also bothers me a bit - I can always catch a whiff of alcohol when I first squeeze it out of the tube, which worries me. It is also quite expensive, so I won't be repurchasing in the future.

on 8/30/2012 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I live in the US but got this from SASA.com (it's an Asian beauty store, much like how Sephora is in the US). It was about $30, so not TOO expensive but still a bit pricey compared to drugstore sunscreens. The bottle is made of durable plastic and is metallic gold; I believe this replaced the Perfect Smooth version, which is in a silver bottle. I'm not a huge fan of the tilted cap, but the tiny little nozzle is very helpful for dispensing only a little product at a time. Since the formula of this SS is so runny, it helps prevent spillage if you accidently tip the bottle over.

Applying this SS was strange and took a bit of a learning curve. After shaking the bottle, I pour out a big droplet and quickly rub it over one side of my face. It absorbs rapidly so you'll have to repeat this process a few times to cover your whole face. It dries into this smooth, matte finish, which is LOVELY and really helpful as a primer underneath your makeup. I don't think this product is drying but then again, I have oily skin - I'd recommend wearing a moisturizer underneath anyways, especially if you're combo, normal or dry-skinned.

The most amazing thing about this SS is just how MATTE it keeps me. I don't have to blot at all (I usually have to blot 2x over the course of a work day in the summer) until about 12 hrs later. 14 hrs after I apply it, my skin is noticeably oily, but being oil-free for 12 hrs is still incredible! This is definitely a keeper.

NOTE: Even though the new Perfect UV version of this SS is supposed to be "easier to remove" than older versions, I still have to use an oil cleanser to remove it. Be sure to be VERY THOROUGH about removing this product from your face.

Also, after a while, I noticed that I started to break out from this product, so I've taken off a lippie. This product is definitely not for sensitive or clog-prone skin. I wouldn't wear it past 12 hrs because every time I do, my skin starts breaking out and getting irritated.