Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant
Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant

3.9

Not tested on animals

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol (thickener), Squalane (emollient), Glycerin (skin-identical ingredient), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate (thickeners), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Epilobium Angustifolium (Willowherb) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract (anti-irritant), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Extract (antioxidant), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil (antioxidant plant oil), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (non-volatile plant oil), Beta Glucan (antioxidant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Panthenol (water-binding agent), Bisabolol (anti-irritant), Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate (emulsifier), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Sodium Citrate (pH adjuster), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Acacia Senegal Gum, Cyamopsis Tetragonoloba (Guar) Gum (thickeners), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Ethylhexyglycerin (skin conditioning agent), Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate (preservatives).

My first bha i ever used. Not drying, actually hydrating I would say. I immediately saw a differance in my skin. Clogged pores started unclogging. Verry effective. But did not get rid of the more stubborn clogged pores.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

It's hard to find a salicylic treatment with the proper pH to absorb well, packaged to protect the product, and affordable. There is one Smashbox primer available and a pHilosophy product -- both significantly more expensive than this PC formulation. This brand also offers a one-percent solution as well as a product formulated with hydroquinone for uneven skin pigmentation, all with additional skin-beneficial ingredients.

Ingredients: Active: Salicylic Acid 2% Inactive: Water (Aqua), Dipropylene Glycol (hydration), Pentylene Glycol (hydration), Polysorbate 20 (stabilizer), Butylene Glycol (hydration), Glycerin (skin replenishing), Sodium Hyaluronate (hydration/skin replenishing), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate (skin-soothing), Allantoin (skin-soothing), Panthenol (hydration), PEG/PPG-17/6 Copolymer (texture-enhancing), Methyl Gluceth-20 (hydration), Glycereth-26 (texture-enhancing), Bis-PEG-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane (hydration), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Tetrasodium EDTA (stabilizer), Sodium Metabisulfite (stabilizer).

on 7/20/2017 8:45:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm in my late 40s, and while my oily skin does mean I am less prone to wrinkling, I am still living with the results of years of reckless sunbathing in my teens and 20s. In addition to the sun damage, my pores very easily get congested--it was a constant battle to keep the blackheads, whiteheads, and blemishes at bay. Several years ago, I began using Skinceutical's Retinol 1%, which certainly helped, but it was expensive and didn't do enough alone to keep my skin clear. Then I read up on BHAs, which led me to this product by Paula's Choice. I started using it every night before applying the retinol, and within a week the skin on my face looked significantly better and felt much smoother. Since then, I've rarely (very rarely) needed to do any blackhead extractions. I also get far fewer blemishes, and my overall complexion is less ruddy. Now I've swapped out the Skinceuticals for Paula's Choice 1% Retinol Serum to use with this BHA lotion. The combination of the two is a godsend for my skin and my wallet! I wish I could use this in the morning, too, but it leaves a slight, shiny film on my face that no amount of mattifying powder can keep in check. So unless and until my skin stops being so damned oily, I'll just keep using this before bedtime and be grateful that it works as well as it does!

on 4/26/2017 8:15:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

First of all, this is the lotion formula; suitable for drier skins that are prone to breakouts (it is easy to get the formulations mixed up). The consistency is like a lotion as opposed to the gel or liquid formulations and is quite matte.

In terms of performance - i have been using it religiously for the past 4/5 months, at night only so can comment realistically on how I feel it has performed.

I have incredibly dry skin, which requires intense moisture and hydration, although I do not experience breakouts my skin can get a little congested and have tiny bumps under skin -though they are not really noticeable. I also have a couple of mild eczema patches, and this product was recommended by paula's choice as it is also anti inflammatory. This didn't help with my eczema, and at times did make it a litter inflamed, and sadly I saw not much difference in how my complexion looked. I have blackheads on my nose and this did reduce them somewhat but this did not make them dissappear entirely. I did not notice any difference in terms of the tiny bumps I get, nor did it brightem my complexion as others have raved, but I did experience my skin feeling smoother and becoming baby soft. I would use this at night only, and apply my hydrating products after (serum, moisturiser). I have also tried waiting 15/20 minutes between application of this and other products to ensure that my serum and moisturiser wouldn't interfere in the bha'a effectiveness.

In all, this made my skin feel better but it didn't look any better. It didn't dry my skin out despite me having very dry skin, probably because i would apply hydrating products after. I may repurchase as I love my skin feeling baby soft but may try the bha1 as it's probably better long term for my drier skin. Though aha's are recommended for drier skins and paula's choice do have ahas, I have to be cautious due to my eczema. However I have been sampling an aha so will report back.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Flatten out little bumps, clear skin, unclog pores, I cannot live without it. By the way, I'm on my 6th full size bottle now since I discovered this HG.

on 5/13/2017 12:54:00 AM

I would say BHA exfoliants are hands down the best products from this brand. I like this one as BHA can be a little drying and this BHA lotion provides also moisture so for a very dry skin it is better to go with this one. If you want a $10 off your purchase follow this link https://goo.gl/byQqpB.

This liquid exfoliant did nothing for my skin and my concerns. My oily/combo, sensitive and acne-prone skin wanted this to work to get rid of my blackheads. Only the blackheads on my nose! granted that area has years of deeply rooted blackheads and oiliness so i was highly doubtful a $20 product would do that job and sadly it didnt. The thick serum-like texture of this 'toner' step meant that it would take forever to dry, so most of the time i was too impatient to wait and ended up applying moisturiser over semi-wet skin.
I wouldnt buy this again but i havent lost faith in Paula's products - the balance cleanser is my HG and i would recommend that to everyone (but i hate the dispenser - needs a pump)

on 12/21/2016 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I've been using this for a while, almost a year, I think.
I really want to like it, and I mean it.

Story time. For the record, I'm South East Asian in my 30's.

I have combination skin : normal-oily on my T-area, but the rest of my face is Hell. It's dry and sensitive and cystic acnes come and go whenever they please like it's nobody's business, stay there for months if they like. It drives me crazy. My skin has been patchy and dry, itchy and red, either with dark spots or freshly popped zits.

I've been dealing with acnes since puberty hit me 2 decades ago, but boy, don't they come back like Terminator: they're even harder to kill.
I honestly thought that hitting 30's means acnes would leave me alone, but it seems like a lifetime condition to me. I exercise, I eat right, I dont eat sugar, I dont eat dessert, I dont drink soda. I clean my face properly. I use makeup only twice a week since I work from home. I've tried microdermabrasion (I end up looking like a shedding snake with dry skin patches all over my face), I did chemical peel (glycolic, mandelic, salycilic. Result : redness, sensitivity, a cocktail of irritation symptoms, with those little bast**** are still lingering inside my skin).

I've been juggling beauty products to deal with the dryness problem and the acne problem. I was on the verge of my sanity until someone recommended me this as part of my PM routine. Do you know that acne problem causes a serious dent on your bank account, right? But since nothing stops you from trying anything that might help you to ease the pain, so yeah why not.

PC 2% BHA is not cheap by any standard in where i live. It's quite pricey. But seeing so many good reviews, friends' recommendation etc, I gave it a try.

Does it do anything?
Yes. It does -somewhat- prevent my face from becoming a worse Hell. It keeps them little cystic acnes under control (as in, never more than 2 acnes per 'show time' on my skin) and helps the inflammation. The redness is like 50% better than any other products I've ever used.
It does a very little good job in retaining and maintaining skin moisture.
There are days I skip this and I notice the difference, but maybe it's just me.
It does tho, exfoliate my dead skin gently.
Leaves no marks of 'exfiolence' like other products, and maybe I still hang on to it because of this factor.

Practically, that's all it does. It does not live up to the hype, much less the product's description. I currently use this as a part of my AM dan PM routine, and the 8% BHA gel twice a week to add some kicks -been doing it for a month. So far it's been doing okay, not clearing my 2 cystic acnes, but not turning me into a scaly, shedding reptile either. I can live with it, but maybe it's my starting treatment essence.

Sorry for my English. HTH

on 9/9/2016 8:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I brought this in hope that it would clear my blackheads, its the only thing that i could see with good reviews. I feel as if I have give this fair trial, and I despise giving products negative reviews but this honestly did nothing for my blackheads at all. I was honestly so excited but i put it on my face and just nothing happened, i started extracting blackheads and they were honestly just as bad as usual. This is an overhyped product and I do feel as if I can't buy it again, i just find it unusual as well that the expert ratings for loads of other products that aren't Paula's choice is so negative. I've switched to using La Roche Posay's Effclar K and I am currently seeing results. It's a real shame because I wasn't this product to work, if you have mild blackheads this may work for you, sadly it just didn't for me.

on 2/14/2017 2:57:00 PM

I cannot say enough good thing about this product. I have acne prone skin which used to be oily but then it become very dry and bumpy. Even when I used foundation, the application wasn't smooth due to uneven skin texture. In winter I struggled to find a moisturizer which is good enough for my dry skin. I tried many products to fix my skin. But this product is a game changer. I started it by a small sample ($9). Initially it seems nothing special. But I noticed my face was moist enough. In the summer I only used this, no moisturizer. In winter I can use any lite moisturizer on top of it and that works perfectly fine. I don't struggle with moisturizer anymore in the winter.
I feel that using in alternative days works best for me. After using for 3 months, I noticed my face is no longer as dry as it used to be. All the bumpiness is also gone. My foundation application was smooth. I again started liking my skin. I'm still using it. I purchased a full bottle and it is lasting quite long as you need only a small amount (almost 6 months for me). I also noticed if I use more than that it gives me pimple. So only a small amount in alternative days is the correct amount for my skin. This is now a must have in my skin care routine. I highly recommend this product to anyone struggling with pimples or dry skin and looking for a even, smooth clear skin.

To get a $10 discount in your first purchase from Paula's choice website, you can use my code from the following link: