Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant
Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant

3.9

Not tested on animals

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol (thickener), Squalane (emollient), Glycerin (skin-identical ingredient), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate (thickeners), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Epilobium Angustifolium (Willowherb) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract (anti-irritant), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Extract (antioxidant), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil (antioxidant plant oil), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (non-volatile plant oil), Beta Glucan (antioxidant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Panthenol (water-binding agent), Bisabolol (anti-irritant), Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate (emulsifier), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Sodium Citrate (pH adjuster), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Acacia Senegal Gum, Cyamopsis Tetragonoloba (Guar) Gum (thickeners), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Ethylhexyglycerin (skin conditioning agent), Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate (preservatives).

on 12/21/2016 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I've been using this for a while, almost a year, I think.
I really want to like it, and I mean it.

Story time. For the record, I'm South East Asian in my 30's.

I have combination skin : normal-oily on my T-area, but the rest of my face is Hell. It's dry and sensitive and cystic acnes come and go whenever they please like it's nobody's business, stay there for months if they like. It drives me crazy. My skin has been patchy and dry, itchy and red, either with dark spots or freshly popped zits.

I've been dealing with acnes since puberty hit me 2 decades ago, but boy, don't they come back like Terminator: they're even harder to kill.
I honestly thought that hitting 30's means acnes would leave me alone, but it seems like a lifetime condition to me. I exercise, I eat right, I dont eat sugar, I dont eat dessert, I dont drink soda. I clean my face properly. I use makeup only twice a week since I work from home. I've tried microdermabrasion (I end up looking like a shedding snake with dry skin patches all over my face), I did chemical peel (glycolic, mandelic, salycilic. Result : redness, sensitivity, a cocktail of irritation symptoms, with those little bast**** are still lingering inside my skin).

I've been juggling beauty products to deal with the dryness problem and the acne problem. I was on the verge of my sanity until someone recommended me this as part of my PM routine. Do you know that acne problem causes a serious dent on your bank account, right? But since nothing stops you from trying anything that might help you to ease the pain, so yeah why not.

PC 2% BHA is not cheap by any standard in where i live. It's quite pricey. But seeing so many good reviews, friends' recommendation etc, I gave it a try.

Does it do anything?
Yes. It does -somewhat- prevent my face from becoming a worse Hell. It keeps them little cystic acnes under control (as in, never more than 2 acnes per 'show time' on my skin) and helps the inflammation. The redness is like 50% better than any other products I've ever used.
It does a very little good job in retaining and maintaining skin moisture.
There are days I skip this and I notice the difference, but maybe it's just me.
It does tho, exfoliate my dead skin gently.
Leaves no marks of 'exfiolence' like other products, and maybe I still hang on to it because of this factor.

Practically, that's all it does. It does not live up to the hype, much less the product's description. I currently use this as a part of my AM dan PM routine, and the 8% BHA gel twice a week to add some kicks -been doing it for a month. So far it's been doing okay, not clearing my 2 cystic acnes, but not turning me into a scaly, shedding reptile either. I can live with it, but maybe it's my starting treatment essence.

Sorry for my English. HTH

This liquid exfoliant did nothing for my skin and my concerns. My oily/combo, sensitive and acne-prone skin wanted this to work to get rid of my blackheads. Only the blackheads on my nose! granted that area has years of deeply rooted blackheads and oiliness so i was highly doubtful a $20 product would do that job and sadly it didnt. The thick serum-like texture of this 'toner' step meant that it would take forever to dry, so most of the time i was too impatient to wait and ended up applying moisturiser over semi-wet skin.
I wouldnt buy this again but i havent lost faith in Paula's products - the balance cleanser is my HG and i would recommend that to everyone (but i hate the dispenser - needs a pump)

on 9/9/2016 8:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I brought this in hope that it would clear my blackheads, its the only thing that i could see with good reviews. I feel as if I have give this fair trial, and I despise giving products negative reviews but this honestly did nothing for my blackheads at all. I was honestly so excited but i put it on my face and just nothing happened, i started extracting blackheads and they were honestly just as bad as usual. This is an overhyped product and I do feel as if I can't buy it again, i just find it unusual as well that the expert ratings for loads of other products that aren't Paula's choice is so negative. I've switched to using La Roche Posay's Effclar K and I am currently seeing results. It's a real shame because I wasn't this product to work, if you have mild blackheads this may work for you, sadly it just didn't for me.

on 8/30/2016 3:31:00 PM

I'm surprised at some of these review. I love this product, however, I prefer the BHA 2% Gel over the Liquid. This is an Exfoliant so for those who's skin is drying out, note that it's best not to use other Exfoliant products. And, be sure to moisturize after applying. Also, don't use to much a little goes along way. Using to much will make your skin/face feel heavy & sticky. This product lasts along time so you get a lot for your money. I mix a little with my foundation makeup (when wearing makeup), and it helps my makeup go on smooth and nice. I've been using this product for many years. I recommend it highly. It's best to use product for a period of time, 6 weeks, or several months to see all the positive changes in your skin. If you use it only a couple times it's not a true testament of this product. Of course, I realize people are different so it could be that's it's not for everyone. I love the pump packaging too. I will continue to buy Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% Gel Exfoliant as long as it doesn't get discontinued, like so many products do. I get many compliments on my skin now. FYI: Another exceptional product is Paula's mascara, it's truly the best that I've ever used. I received one free with purchase during a promotional period, so I recommend that too.
Have a great day ladies :)

on 8/13/2016 10:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I'm 36 and I cannot get rid of blackheads on my nose and chin. I've been trying to get rid of them since my teen years. I tried this stuff every day once a day on the nose and chin for 3 months - nothing except a shiny nose because it is greasy. I would not repurchase or recommend this to anyone.

on 8/6/2016 2:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really wanted to like this. It was my last hope for nose blackheads. Unfortunately it did nothing to improve things and I think actually GAVE me wrinkles on my forehead where I previously had none. Pitching it.

Pros: Cleared up stubborn long-term acne, evened skin tone, radiant healthy skin, good sturdy packaging that is easy to dispense the correct amount.
Cons: Thick texture, doesn't wear well under makeup.

This product has done absolute wonders for my skin. I have been struggling with hormonal acne for about 9 years, and never found a product that made a significant difference. I've been using this product for 3 months now and my skin has not been this clear since I was in high school. I do get a zit every once in a while, but this is the first time in years where I can go a week or more with NONE. Even when I do get a zit it clears up at about 3X the speed it would in the past. This lotion does a great job evening out my skin texture. I used to have extremely combination skin with dry flaky skin on my cheeks and under my eyes, and a highly oily T-zone. Since I have been using this my skin has gotten more and more normal, as well as brightened. The only problem I have found with this is that it has a very thick texture that can be hard to spread and can do weird things under makeup. I just use it at night to avoid that issue.

I can not speak highly enough of this product. I'm 31, I'm starting to have the first signs of aging, ie. dry under eyes, enlarging pores, general change in skin's texture, IN combination with a 18 year off and on battle with hormonal acne(which has left me with lots of red marks)! yay!!! Let's hear it for problematic skin! haha...

anyway, the product...... I've been using it for about 2 months now, In the beginning, I used it morning and night, but started only using it at night for 2 reasons, 1, for me it doesn't work great under makeup, and 2. it's summertime and I know I'll be out in the sun more often and don't want to make my skin too sensitive. However, with only nightly application, my skin has improved by at least 80 percent., I still have a few little spots, but they heal quickly and never get very big. And while I mentioned that I don't like how it works under makeup, I will say it has helped soooo much with the texture of my skin, that my makeup looks so much better than it did before. I am so happy. I was getting to a point to where I was so embarrassed to face anyone. I was desperate to find a solution (I have tried just about everything, from natural to chemical to prescription) , I felt like my acne just made me appear dirty, greasy and the makeup I wore on top just made me look worse and dirtier. I wish I hadn't waited so long to try Paula'a products.

I just put in an order for more products as this has gone so well for me. If you have been doubting whether or not to try them, I can't recommend them enough. Plus you can also buy samples to try instead. Anyway, I'll leave a code for a discount as well, since I used another code by another user left here when I purchased mine. https://goo.gl/b7NLvH

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Seriously, this changed the texture of my skin. No, it FIXED the texture of my skin. I had such a bumpy surface. This exfoliant made my skin super smooth in such a short time. I've been using this for nearly a year now, and I can't get enough. I only use it once, at night. It's really thick and greasy. As for acne, it didn't really do anything that made me go wow, mostly just kept it at bay.

I read a lot of rave reviews for this on the skincare board, but I was not impressed. I bought this for clogged pores and at the time, folliculitis as well. I've had good experience with PC brand in the past, so I had high hopes. Thankfully, the product did not break me out or make my situation worse, but it didn't help me either. I know this is a great find for many on here, but didn't do anything for me :(