Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant
Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant

3.9

Not tested on animals

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol (thickener), Squalane (emollient), Glycerin (skin-identical ingredient), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate (thickeners), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Epilobium Angustifolium (Willowherb) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract (anti-irritant), Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Extract (antioxidant), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil (antioxidant plant oil), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (non-volatile plant oil), Beta Glucan (antioxidant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Panthenol (water-binding agent), Bisabolol (anti-irritant), Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate (emulsifier), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Sodium Citrate (pH adjuster), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Acacia Senegal Gum, Cyamopsis Tetragonoloba (Guar) Gum (thickeners), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Ethylhexyglycerin (skin conditioning agent), Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate (preservatives).

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

What I love about Paula Begoun's skincare range is first of all: the transparency: an explanation is given for each ingredient so you know exactly what you are putting onto/into your skin. Secondly there's ample opportunity to trial the products first via a sample size on her website. Not to mention a good returns policy. The 2% BHA lotion was one of the products that I invested in full size (along with a whole bunch of samples) and funnily enough was my least favorite out of everything I ordered. It's not that it broke me out or disagreed with me in any way, it just didn't do anything for me at all. Even after 3 weeks of usage my skin still looked exactly the same as before I started using it. Pores, blemishes, you name it, all still the same. Quite unfortunate as I skipped the option of a sample pack thinking it wouldn't be enough product to give it a fair try. I was somehow convinced this 1 bottle was the answer to all my skin woes. Not sure what lead me to believe that haha. Oh well I live, I learn...I try another product!

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I'm constantly trying out new stuff all the time - usually sample/trial sizes from e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
3. Pigmentation/Anti-Ageing: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Facial Treatment Serum
4. Cleanser: 'Aveda' - Purifying Gel Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 5/29/2018 6:39:00 AM

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Holy grail product! Just keeps my skin in check. Went without for a week, and I could see more clogged pores.

I am on my 3d or 4th bottle maybe...

on 12/18/2017 8:47:00 AM

This is the first BHA I've used, so I can't compare it to other BHAs. But this works fine for me.

How I use this:
night A. double cleansing (Bioderma followed by Lancôme Galatee)/CosRx AHA BHA toner (to bring down my pH after cleansing)/Paula's Choice 2% BHA/20min wait/Liquid Gold/20min wait/night cream (my fav is La Prairie anti-aging night cream).
night B. double cleansing/Retinol Reform by Shani Darden/20min wait/The Ordinary 10% Niacinamide/10min wait night cream.

I don't mind the slightly oily residue since I use it at night time. Although this has a higher pH (3.5) than my AHA (Liquid Gold is 2.5), since a BHA resolves oil, it makes more sense to use a BHA first, followed by an AHA.

I alternate retinol with BHA&AHA since it's been scientifically proven that retinol doesn't perform well in an acidic environment. But they do complement each other. Retinol (also known as vitamin A) communicates with your cells, boosting cell turnover, which in turn boost collagen production (giving you that 'fuller' look), unclog pores and thicken the deep skin layers where wrinkles start. AHA and BHA 'unglues' dead skin cells. As you can see, both products can cause flaking skin when used too aggressively. Hence after much consideration, I landed on above described skin care nighttime routine.

I don't use physical exfoliators nor a face wash anymore. This is my morning routine: Lancôme Galatee cleansing milk/CosRx AHA BHA toner/Skinceuticals C E Ferulic/20min wait/The Ordinary azelaic acid/5min wait/a hydrating serum (right now I'm using Hada Labo but I have no favorites)/a light moisturizer (right now I use L'Oreal Revitalift Laser X3 but I have no favorites)/10min wait/a spf/15min wait/makeup.

Yes my skin care routine is VERY extensive :).

The reason I describe my whole day- and night time skin care routine here is because I believe the success or failure of a product stands or falls with your whole routine. There's no miracle product, there's no one size fits all. Educate yourself, experiment (within reason) and good luck!

My first bha i ever used. Not drying, actually hydrating I would say. I immediately saw a differance in my skin. Clogged pores started unclogging. Verry effective. But did not get rid of the more stubborn clogged pores.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

It's hard to find a salicylic treatment with the proper pH to absorb well, packaged to protect the product, and affordable. There is one Smashbox primer available and a pHilosophy product -- both significantly more expensive than this PC formulation. This brand also offers a one-percent solution as well as a product formulated with hydroquinone for uneven skin pigmentation, all with additional skin-beneficial ingredients.

Ingredients: Active: Salicylic Acid 2% Inactive: Water (Aqua), Dipropylene Glycol (hydration), Pentylene Glycol (hydration), Polysorbate 20 (stabilizer), Butylene Glycol (hydration), Glycerin (skin replenishing), Sodium Hyaluronate (hydration/skin replenishing), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate (skin-soothing), Allantoin (skin-soothing), Panthenol (hydration), PEG/PPG-17/6 Copolymer (texture-enhancing), Methyl Gluceth-20 (hydration), Glycereth-26 (texture-enhancing), Bis-PEG-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane (hydration), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Tetrasodium EDTA (stabilizer), Sodium Metabisulfite (stabilizer).

on 7/20/2017 8:45:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm in my late 40s, and while my oily skin does mean I am less prone to wrinkling, I am still living with the results of years of reckless sunbathing in my teens and 20s. In addition to the sun damage, my pores very easily get congested--it was a constant battle to keep the blackheads, whiteheads, and blemishes at bay. Several years ago, I began using Skinceutical's Retinol 1%, which certainly helped, but it was expensive and didn't do enough alone to keep my skin clear. Then I read up on BHAs, which led me to this product by Paula's Choice. I started using it every night before applying the retinol, and within a week the skin on my face looked significantly better and felt much smoother. Since then, I've rarely (very rarely) needed to do any blackhead extractions. I also get far fewer blemishes, and my overall complexion is less ruddy. Now I've swapped out the Skinceuticals for Paula's Choice 1% Retinol Serum to use with this BHA lotion. The combination of the two is a godsend for my skin and my wallet! I wish I could use this in the morning, too, but it leaves a slight, shiny film on my face that no amount of mattifying powder can keep in check. So unless and until my skin stops being so damned oily, I'll just keep using this before bedtime and be grateful that it works as well as it does!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Flatten out little bumps, clear skin, unclog pores, I cannot live without it. By the way, I'm on my 6th full size bottle now since I discovered this HG.

on 5/13/2017 12:54:00 AM

I would say BHA exfoliants are hands down the best products from this brand. I like this one as BHA can be a little drying and this BHA lotion provides also moisture so for a very dry skin it is better to go with this one. If you want a $10 off your purchase follow this link https://goo.gl/byQqpB.

on 4/26/2017 8:15:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

First of all, this is the lotion formula; suitable for drier skins that are prone to breakouts (it is easy to get the formulations mixed up). The consistency is like a lotion as opposed to the gel or liquid formulations and is quite matte.

In terms of performance - i have been using it religiously for the past 4/5 months, at night only so can comment realistically on how I feel it has performed.

I have incredibly dry skin, which requires intense moisture and hydration, although I do not experience breakouts my skin can get a little congested and have tiny bumps under skin -though they are not really noticeable. I also have a couple of mild eczema patches, and this product was recommended by paula's choice as it is also anti inflammatory. This didn't help with my eczema, and at times did make it a litter inflamed, and sadly I saw not much difference in how my complexion looked. I have blackheads on my nose and this did reduce them somewhat but this did not make them dissappear entirely. I did not notice any difference in terms of the tiny bumps I get, nor did it brightem my complexion as others have raved, but I did experience my skin feeling smoother and becoming baby soft. I would use this at night only, and apply my hydrating products after (serum, moisturiser). I have also tried waiting 15/20 minutes between application of this and other products to ensure that my serum and moisturiser wouldn't interfere in the bha'a effectiveness.

In all, this made my skin feel better but it didn't look any better. It didn't dry my skin out despite me having very dry skin, probably because i would apply hydrating products after. I may repurchase as I love my skin feeling baby soft but may try the bha1 as it's probably better long term for my drier skin. Though aha's are recommended for drier skins and paula's choice do have ahas, I have to be cautious due to my eczema. However I have been sampling an aha so will report back.

on 2/14/2017 2:57:00 PM

I cannot say enough good thing about this product. I have acne prone skin which used to be oily but then it become very dry and bumpy. Even when I used foundation, the application wasn't smooth due to uneven skin texture. In winter I struggled to find a moisturizer which is good enough for my dry skin. I tried many products to fix my skin. But this product is a game changer. I started it by a small sample ($9). Initially it seems nothing special. But I noticed my face was moist enough. In the summer I only used this, no moisturizer. In winter I can use any lite moisturizer on top of it and that works perfectly fine. I don't struggle with moisturizer anymore in the winter.
I feel that using in alternative days works best for me. After using for 3 months, I noticed my face is no longer as dry as it used to be. All the bumpiness is also gone. My foundation application was smooth. I again started liking my skin. I'm still using it. I purchased a full bottle and it is lasting quite long as you need only a small amount (almost 6 months for me). I also noticed if I use more than that it gives me pimple. So only a small amount in alternative days is the correct amount for my skin. This is now a must have in my skin care routine. I highly recommend this product to anyone struggling with pimples or dry skin and looking for a even, smooth clear skin.

To get a $10 discount in your first purchase from Paula's choice website, you can use my code from the following link: