Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

Filtered by skin tone : Olive
Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

3.6

Talc, Mica, Mineral Oil, Kaolin, Titanium Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT. May contain: Mica and Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, Manganese Violet, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Chrome Oxide Greens, Chrome Hydroxide Green, FD&C Red No.40 Al Lake, FD&C Yellow No.5 Al Lake, FD&C Blue No.1 Al Lake.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Got the palette a few months ago, and the delivery was fast! I love the package and they gave me a free eye-shadow sample - too! Not a usual thing.
As a beginner, I really love this palette and great colors to chose from. But it's not for a pro make up artists.
Sometimes the colors doesn't show a lot, but I still think it is a great palette.

on 2/25/2012 1:00:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

88 Original; Great beginner palette for those wanting to dabble in colored eyeshadows. These colors are super pigmented with a nice range between them. If you tap off the excess shadow from the brush before applying to your lid and you won't get fallout. I also have a review on the 88 Warm Palette so yall can check that out too. The pot sizes are the size of a dime but you won't hit pan anytime soon cause there's so many and, again, really pigmented. 88 eyeshadows for about $20...how cool is that? You've probably seen the BH Cosmetics Palette which is the exact same thing as this (refer to the comment below about asia distribution.) All in all I would recommend as a great starter colored palette.

on 12/30/2011 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have beige medium skin so some of the colors do not pop like i would necessarily like, although with the use of my NYx creme pencil it helps alot...which u should be using anyways...I love the blues and purples and yellows.. Also good colors for doing smokey eyes too. I really love this palette because it provides a wide variety of color. Not every color is going to work for every body because not everybody has the same skin tone. The use of a primer and white base is a must! And I have not had any colors fall out..although I am not tossing it around and upside down either :)

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

coastal scents 88 is an eyeshadow palette that has a 88 colors, enough to use. the whole palette is smaller than A4 paper. each eyeshadow is the size a a dime.
i like to experience with bold colors so i decided to buy this product. this was back when i just started makeup(without buying to many single shadows). i when i got it, i loved it because of it wide color range. but i do find that the colors are not too pigmented, just a 8/10. though some on them are very un-pigmented, like white and black. the texture of each eyeshadow is hard and clumpy, but i don't mind that. it also doesn't last long. just by looking at it, u might think it has almost every single shade out there but NO. it lacks selections of orange and blue.i also noticed most of the eyeshadow has a satin finish. i think it will be pretty hard to carry if you need any touch up.
overall, i would recommend this to beginners or someone who wants something to expand their collections.

on 4/6/2011 9:35:00 AM

I own both the original and shimmer 88 palettes and, though they may look alike at first glance, they are quite different from one another.

First, the shimmer palette: What I like about this palette is that the colours really do shimmer beautifully, without being glittery or inappropriate for daytime wear. I don't find these colours to be nearly as pigmented as their matte counterparts, so I tend to apply the matte version of a colour first (from my original palette) and then layer the shimmer colour overtop. I get the best payoff this way. I also find that there is more fallout from this palette than the original.

In terms of the original palette, I find the colours to be more pigmented, though this varies considerably. There is less fallout in the original palette, in my opinion, though some colours do seem to have this problem more than others.

Both palettes have issues with chalky and unblendable colours (particularly the lighter shades), but both palette have some beautiful shadows, too. I guess what I'm saying is that there is not a lot of consistency - some are great, some are crap! Regardless of the palette I use, I ALWAYS apply a primer first - this helps with the less pigmented colours, and also increases the staying power by a significant amount. These colours can also be applied wet, which I recommend for less pigmented shades or for a foiled effect.

I DON'T recommend using a brush with white hair on this palette - my MAC 239 brush was used to apply a hot pink shade from the original palette and no amount of deep cleansing will get the stains off. BOO! (The lighter shades probably won't have this problem.)

Finally, I seemed to have scored with some decent quality packaging - I haven't had any shadows come loose. I've travelled considerably with both (30 hour plane trips, across the Pacific with several stopovers) and they haven't sustained any damage. I'm impressed! However, these are not at all practical for daily travel in a handbag - you have to hope that colours won't require touch-ups while you're out!

Overall, these palettes are fun to play with and I've achieved some very cool looks with them. I bought them because I wanted more COLOUR in my life, but wasn't sure which ones I would use the most. To this end, these are fabulous. And, let's face it, the price is right!

I'm not likely to repurchase, and will probably replace the shades I use most with the MAC counterparts, which are more consistent and contain less potentially harmful ingredients. But, you know, I would probably purchase this to give as a gift to a makeup newbie or someone who is keen to experiment. So, who knows?!

on 2/15/2011 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I'm Obsessed with this Palette!!! OMG I've been using it every single day for over a year. Even when I use a different brand of eyeshadow. I always find a way to incorporate a shadow from this palette in my look. I consider myself to be pretty experienced with makeup because I started wearing it in middle school (yup tryna be grown smh) but no matter the level of expertise, everyone should own this! The color pay-off is ridiculously pigmented for $20. I'm a fan of Coastal Scents. I own 3 of their eyeshadow palettes (including the 28 neutrals which is absolutely gorgeous, a staple for work), a blush palette, a concealer palette, and several of their loose glitter powders. Very Satisfied Custy!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

I like the color range, but I'm not convinced about the quality.. Some are very chalky, but I think it's fun to have because you can create many different and fun looks with it.

on 10/6/2010 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I highly recommend this. I bought this like a year ago after getting impatient lol. I was trying to expand my makeup collection and wanted every color from white to black asap. I had a lot of neutrals so I went for this palette. It's super pigmented and has a ton of colors. This is great for starters or even makeup artists when doing weddings and things like that because even tho its their color palette, they have neutrals as well so this would be perfect for someone starting because u pretty much get every color and with so many color combinations, this can last a loooongt time. The packaging is kind of cheap looking, I didn't love that but the product surely makes up for it. The shadows have great staying powder and go on really smooth, the shadows are about the size of a dime but theyre so pigmented, u don't need a lot. For the price, this is a steal. I've bought 3 different palettes including the 88 warm palette and 28 neutral color palette and love them all.

So, I got this a couple of months ago thinking that it was going to be an awesome product based on the reviews I saw on youtube about these palettes. I bought both the shimmer and matte palettes because they had a sale where if you bought 2 or more palettes you got 15% off your order.

First, shipping took a long time. Coastal Scents ships from Florida and I'm in California so I didn't think it was going to take that long, especially since shipping is so expensive on the site. It took 7 days for my palettes to get here. Well, 8 but one day was a Sunday so I'm not going to count that.

I opened them and noticed right away that they had a funny smell to them, kinda like paint. I ran my fingertips on some of the colors and the pigment was wonderful! Unfortunately that is where the good ends. I tried putting some on my eyelid without primer and on my eyelid there was no color payoff at all and the shadows were really chalky. I then tried it with both UDPP and TFSI and both primers had the same result, no color payoff and a lot of fallout.

I went back on youtube to rewatch the videos but this time reading the descriptions of the videos. It turns out Coastal Scents sends out $75 gift cards for CS products to the "gurus" on youtube in exchange for glowing reviews of what they got. I feel really lied to now. I wouldn't recommend these palettes to anyone.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Fun to play with, yes, and a great bang for your buck. They aren't MAC though but they are definitely better than cheapy chalky covergirl shadow. The mattes are kind of dusty though.

I think the shimmers are much more pigmented, smooth, and easier to work with.

I'd say it's fun to have just to play with and experiment with weird colors. I wouldn't use it as a work palette or anything though lol. I wouldn't repurchase just because I think I'd never run out! I use with toofaced shadow insurance and it stays on pretty well. Great product for younger makeup lovers and for people who love to play with different colors =)