Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

4.2

Talc, Mica, Mineral Oil, Kaolin, Titanium Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT. May contain: Mica and Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, Manganese Violet, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Chrome Oxide Greens, Chrome Hydroxide Green, FD&C Red No.40 Al Lake, FD&C Yellow No.5 Al Lake, FD&C Blue No.1 Al Lake.

on 8/27/2014 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This is a great, great, product for someone just starting out. There is literally every color you could possibly need and they are all true to pan pigmented, smooth and blendable. Great value. Cheap packaging that does not travel well, but well worth it anyway.

I he the matte daylight palette. Surprisingly great for such a low price! If you're used to MAC shadows, you might be disappointed, but truthfully these are not bad. Better than most, if not all, drugstore brands, at the very least.

Some colours are better and more pigmented than others, but that's to be expected when you have 88 to choose from. I don't wear eyeshadow that often, but I love having all the options to choose from. There's colours there for anything from daytime wear to Halloween.

on 10/15/2013 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I bought this on a whim because it was something like eight dollars. Overall, it's an okay palette and it's worth eight bucks, sure. It's not as blendable or creamy as a lot of people would tell you, though. Sometimes I think people really overhype inexpensive items (like ELF products) and then when I try them my expectations are a little too high and I go "Wait, this is actually pretty meh." My experience with the palette is that it was mostly chalky and not super blendable. However, most colors have pretty decent pigmentation for a low-end priced shadow! It is nice to have this palette if only for the selection of random weird colors that I would never buy, like bright greens, that could be useful for costume makeup or some kind of theme.

The biggest pro to this palette is how cheap it is when it's on sale. It makes me sad when I look at a large collection of hit or miss drugstore makeup and thinking about how if I didn't spend money on stuff that I ended up not liking, I could have bought a few surefire higher end products with those wasted dollars. With this being so cheap for so many shadows, I'll never look at it that way.

If you think you want this, buy it only if it's on sale, and keep your expectations relatively low unless you're used to wearing drugstore eyeshadow.

on 8/22/2012 6:56:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I have the 88 warm palette and the original 88 but I found that I used this one the most! I've had it for years now, and they are perfect as when I first bought them. I would definitely buy it again, whenever it runs out (which I don't see any time soon!). I used this with my Too Faced primer and it works perfect!
I would say 98% of the pots are very well pigmented, then there are those that aren't so much... but usually you can find a color that is similar if you must have it :P
You need to buy this, it's amazing!

Let me give you some background info first before I dive into this product.

I'm young, I am 16 , so money just doesn't grow on trees for me. Haha. I don't have a steady job yet and I'm not a professional, so you can see where the bias come.

Now to the review- I LOVE this palette, for a couple different reasons.

1. The colors - I love all these colors ; they are bright, pretty, and REALLY fun to play around. I would say this is more an amateur palette. I did stage makeup for a community theater's play of "The Little Mermaid", so it was an awesome go-to for the greens and the blues and i made some pretty blended looks. They do blend very well. The colors for me are a 10, but once again thats bias...because I don't really work with everyday looks.

2. The Pigmentation - Its pretty well pigmented, I mean its not amazing but the coloring is pretty decent, especially the dark colors. They all are awesome except some of the lighter colors I feel aren't as pigmented. I'd give the pigmentation a 7.5

3. The Price/Shipping/Overall - Is amazing lets just say that. I think I got the palette for 19 with shipping, but they gave me like some weird discount. I also received a little pot of a free sample of their mineral eyeshadow, which was a cute and awesome surprise, I love it. There was an "I <3 Makeup" bumper sticker in the box too, which is ADORABLE. The packaging was good, everything came intact and nothing was damaged or broken. I give it a 9. :-)

If you want to check out any of my work, check out my instagram page @makeupbymadz , and you can see that look I was talking about from the Little Mermaid using all costal scents colors from the palette! Be sure to follow me if you like what you see ! thanks! :-)

love this product! if you use it with a primer it lasts all day! theres tons of colors and the price is great! cant beat it!

on 4/6/2011 9:35:00 AM

I own both the original and shimmer 88 palettes and, though they may look alike at first glance, they are quite different from one another.

First, the shimmer palette: What I like about this palette is that the colours really do shimmer beautifully, without being glittery or inappropriate for daytime wear. I don't find these colours to be nearly as pigmented as their matte counterparts, so I tend to apply the matte version of a colour first (from my original palette) and then layer the shimmer colour overtop. I get the best payoff this way. I also find that there is more fallout from this palette than the original.

In terms of the original palette, I find the colours to be more pigmented, though this varies considerably. There is less fallout in the original palette, in my opinion, though some colours do seem to have this problem more than others.

Both palettes have issues with chalky and unblendable colours (particularly the lighter shades), but both palette have some beautiful shadows, too. I guess what I'm saying is that there is not a lot of consistency - some are great, some are crap! Regardless of the palette I use, I ALWAYS apply a primer first - this helps with the less pigmented colours, and also increases the staying power by a significant amount. These colours can also be applied wet, which I recommend for less pigmented shades or for a foiled effect.

I DON'T recommend using a brush with white hair on this palette - my MAC 239 brush was used to apply a hot pink shade from the original palette and no amount of deep cleansing will get the stains off. BOO! (The lighter shades probably won't have this problem.)

Finally, I seemed to have scored with some decent quality packaging - I haven't had any shadows come loose. I've travelled considerably with both (30 hour plane trips, across the Pacific with several stopovers) and they haven't sustained any damage. I'm impressed! However, these are not at all practical for daily travel in a handbag - you have to hope that colours won't require touch-ups while you're out!

Overall, these palettes are fun to play with and I've achieved some very cool looks with them. I bought them because I wanted more COLOUR in my life, but wasn't sure which ones I would use the most. To this end, these are fabulous. And, let's face it, the price is right!

I'm not likely to repurchase, and will probably replace the shades I use most with the MAC counterparts, which are more consistent and contain less potentially harmful ingredients. But, you know, I would probably purchase this to give as a gift to a makeup newbie or someone who is keen to experiment. So, who knows?!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

I love having this palette in my collection! I am the type of girl that sticks to neutral eye looks but every now and again, I like a bit of color. I typically wear MAC eyeshadow but I don't want to invest a ton of money on bright or specific colors that I may only touch a few times. This is when Coastal Scents comes in handy. This palette provides most of the colors you could ever need. It's a cost effective way to experiment with colors and looks you otherwise wouldn't have bothered with. When you discover colors that work for you, you can find comparable shades that are bigger and of better quality from higher end brands. Some of the eyeshadows in this palette are better than others but with a good primer/base and a little patience, I have been successful with the majority of them. The palette is a bit fragile and some pans can come loose (I only had one that fell out)- so remember to be careful with it! I highly recommend having this in your collection! The quality is not over the top phenomenal but it's definitely nice enough! I really enjoy working with this.

Trying to figure out the rating for it, I couldn't think of what I don't like about this palette. I absolutely LOVE it. I've been buying from Coastal Scents for about a year now, and this was the first product I received as a gift. Just looking at it makes you want to dive in and start experimenting with different looks! Like everyone's said, it's very pigmented. The color you see is the color that will show up, but it's easily blendable. This is one of the most versatile makeup products I own. I use this for highlighting different areas on my face, as well as contouring, I fill my brows with one of the matte brown shades and constantly get compliments on my eyebrows, and I also wet my small, angled brush and use the darker colors as eyeliner, which lasts all day. My friends are always asking me to do their makeup, and when I bust out the 88 palette, they always get so excited to get done-up. Go get yourself one, definitely worth the price!

on 9/18/2010 11:35:00 AM

The bright, colorful shadows caught my eye and lured me into purchasing this pallette. The majority of these colors cannot be worn on a daily basis, IMHO.

I adore matte shadows, but I found these a bit hard to blend. I don't use this as much as I thought I would.

I also learned the hard way and bought this from CS, but you can find identical products on eBay for a fraction of the price.