Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

Talc, Mica, Mineral Oil, Kaolin, Titanium Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT. May contain: Mica and Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, Manganese Violet, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Chrome Oxide Greens, Chrome Hydroxide Green, FD&C Red No.40 Al Lake, FD&C Yellow No.5 Al Lake, FD&C Blue No.1 Al Lake.

I bought this palette to start myself out on make up, as all I really had to begin with was dollar store make up. For a beginner eyeshadow palette, its not too bad, as its reasonably priced when its on sale (I bought mine for 9 bucks, but then paid 7 dollars for shipping, which is rediculous for just one item). This palette has served as my scapegoat for playing with eye shading and how to create different looks. This eye shadow has a lot of fallout and some of these colors aren't very pigmented. So, to sum it up;
Pros:
Cheap palette for so many colors
Great for make up noobs
Some colors are very pigmented

Cons:
You get what you paid for. Cheap makeup with fallout and it smudges easily right off of your face, even with primer.
Some colors have very little pigment.

I am in love with some of Coastal Scents Products, but others I am a little disappointed. The sampler that I recieved of their Revealed had much nicer quality than this palette. I LOVE their 10 blush set and the fair camo quad, but I HATE their color corrector quad. I guess its just luck of the draw.

amazing thin packaging
bright, pigmented, creamy shadows
$8.88 is the sale price
lasts all day, never creases
I love it :)

on 9/13/2013 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

I wanted to like this I really did. But I'll be giving my shimmer and my matte palette to my little cousin, it's just not worth it. The light colours do not go on well, I have to layer again...and again..and again...then go..well I think I see it? By then you can forget about blending. The reds and oranges are even a disappointment. The brown tones I found went on well but all shades were chalky and very hard to blend. I would rather buy some pans in a few shades that I love then one of these. Even my urban decay potion primer couldn't save these colours. I will not rebuy.

on 8/12/2013 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This is a great beginners palette. To experiment with both colors and neutrals, matte really are the way to go. The price tag is greatly affordable, the shadows are vivid and there is a lot of room to try out different things. If you already have a lot of makeup, this may not be for you, I won't be repurchasing, but for a makeup newbie this is a gem!

on 11/27/2012 10:41:00 AM

I gotta tell you...I used NYX Eyeshadow Base on my hand, and swatched some of these. Not only did they have decent to good pigment (yeah, some of them suck, but any that don't go on strongly work beautifully used wet) , but they stayed on even after running my hand under warm water. So, people complaining that they aren't very pigmented may not be using a base. Yeah, they don't stick to bare skin...but who doesn't use a primer?? As for them being chalky...maybe the people making that complaint don't really understand the difference between Matte shadows and Shimmer shadows...a true matte shadow, even a good one is going to appear chalky when it first goes on...once it settles into the skin it will look richer and smoother. You can't just put something on and expect it to look perfect from the getgo...eyeshadow always looks better after it works into the skin.

As a makeup artist, I have to say that I'm not going to spend money on MAC eyeshadows when I'm looking to use colors that are out of the ordinary. A good makeup artist can make great use of these shadows.

What I think these palettes offer as well, is an opportunity to choose your favorite colors and the ones that you run out of you can see as ones you'd invest in buying a comparable MAC shadow.

I'm a professional makeup artist, and I love these. And, the Metal Mania palette...really super!

I purchased the 88 palette in 2009 when all the youtube gurus raved about it. For the price, the quality was awesome and the shadows had great pigment and lasting power. HOWEVER.... I recently purchased it again (Nov. 2012) and the quality seems to have gone way down. The eyeshadows are on par with cheap drugstore makeup and barely show up. Luckily I got it on sale for $8.88 this time.
On a positive note, shipping was super fast from the Coastal Scents website. I live across the country and got it in 2 days.

I bought this a while back and I wouldn't say I love it, but it is a good palette.
As there are 88 eyeshadows there are lots of colours and shades to pick from, which I absolutely love because I love using different shades of a colour when doing my eye make up.
What I disliked about this product is that the colours are generally grouped together, but they neither go from lightest to darkest shade, and there are some colours just dotted about fraying from their colour group, which irritates me.
The colours are good though, I've tested them all and each has great pigmentation and coverage. They are easily blendable and spread very easy too. You don't have to totally rub your heart out to get a reasonable amount of shadow on your brush/applicator either!
The eyeshadows are around the size of a 5p coin, which is pretty small, but they are dome shaped which means that there's more than you actually think and they last a good while!
The price I got mines for was 23.99, I'm not sure if that's the actual price of the palette or whether I got a little discount, but I feel this is a reasonable price. For 88 quality eyeshadows it's a medium priced palette, as there are definitely some that are more expensive, and you could probably find one or two cheaper though whether they'd be good quality or not is unknown.
I would recommend this if you're looking for one palette that will serve you for a good while at a reasonable price.

The 88 original pallet is an ok pallet. I think that it is great for a beginner due to the fact that there are a lot of colors with decent pigmentation. Making the pallet a good option for people without a lot of colors. However, I am not impressed with the finishes of the shadows it just doesn't compare to the higher end brands like urban decay. The matte colors aren't buttery they are somewhat dry. Also, I don't find the colors to have any nuances to them if you know what I mean. I like my shadows to have an underlying sheen to them or variations in the color and I just didn't find that to be true in this pallet. Bottom line. I won't repurchase since I am a bit of a makeup junkie and like to try new products and I don't tend to repurchase pallets unless they have a shade that I can't live without.

I think this is a great eyeshadow palette.
The colors are pigmented and blend really good.
some of the color (the black) is a bit crumby.
The packaging is great not the best to travel.

on 2/4/2012 9:21:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Kinky, Medium

I think its a great palette, i used it alot when i first started in makeup. The pigmentation is pretty good, and you get tons of colors but i just think the colors are not that great and unique thats why i dont reach for it very often anymore