Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

3.9

Talc, Mica, Mineral Oil, Kaolin, Titanium Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT. May contain: Mica and Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, Manganese Violet, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Chrome Oxide Greens, Chrome Hydroxide Green, FD&C Red No.40 Al Lake, FD&C Yellow No.5 Al Lake, FD&C Blue No.1 Al Lake.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Dirt cheap. 88 colors. Thin case. Easy to store. Pigmented shades.

This palette is basically perfect!

on 10/15/2013 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I bought this on a whim because it was something like eight dollars. Overall, it's an okay palette and it's worth eight bucks, sure. It's not as blendable or creamy as a lot of people would tell you, though. Sometimes I think people really overhype inexpensive items (like ELF products) and then when I try them my expectations are a little too high and I go "Wait, this is actually pretty meh." My experience with the palette is that it was mostly chalky and not super blendable. However, most colors have pretty decent pigmentation for a low-end priced shadow! It is nice to have this palette if only for the selection of random weird colors that I would never buy, like bright greens, that could be useful for costume makeup or some kind of theme.

The biggest pro to this palette is how cheap it is when it's on sale. It makes me sad when I look at a large collection of hit or miss drugstore makeup and thinking about how if I didn't spend money on stuff that I ended up not liking, I could have bought a few surefire higher end products with those wasted dollars. With this being so cheap for so many shadows, I'll never look at it that way.

If you think you want this, buy it only if it's on sale, and keep your expectations relatively low unless you're used to wearing drugstore eyeshadow.

Let me give you some background info first before I dive into this product.

I'm young, I am 16 , so money just doesn't grow on trees for me. Haha. I don't have a steady job yet and I'm not a professional, so you can see where the bias come.

Now to the review- I LOVE this palette, for a couple different reasons.

1. The colors - I love all these colors ; they are bright, pretty, and REALLY fun to play around. I would say this is more an amateur palette. I did stage makeup for a community theater's play of "The Little Mermaid", so it was an awesome go-to for the greens and the blues and i made some pretty blended looks. They do blend very well. The colors for me are a 10, but once again thats bias...because I don't really work with everyday looks.

2. The Pigmentation - Its pretty well pigmented, I mean its not amazing but the coloring is pretty decent, especially the dark colors. They all are awesome except some of the lighter colors I feel aren't as pigmented. I'd give the pigmentation a 7.5

3. The Price/Shipping/Overall - Is amazing lets just say that. I think I got the palette for 19 with shipping, but they gave me like some weird discount. I also received a little pot of a free sample of their mineral eyeshadow, which was a cute and awesome surprise, I love it. There was an "I <3 Makeup" bumper sticker in the box too, which is ADORABLE. The packaging was good, everything came intact and nothing was damaged or broken. I give it a 9. :-)

If you want to check out any of my work, check out my instagram page @makeupbymadz , and you can see that look I was talking about from the Little Mermaid using all costal scents colors from the palette! Be sure to follow me if you like what you see ! thanks! :-)

I think this is a great eyeshadow palette.
The colors are pigmented and blend really good.
some of the color (the black) is a bit crumby.
The packaging is great not the best to travel.

Pigmentation - soft eyeshadows, but not great on my medium/tan skin

Price - they aren't actually that cheap in my opinion, considering the quality. their pigmentation is like $2 shop shadows, and several of those combined make up the quantity of one of these shadows. so it's not exactly an unheard of bargain

But sure there's a lot in quantity, it's probably an okay set for a teen or someone new to makeup, like myself (but lighter skinned) and that's willing to use eyeshadow base which I haven't used yet but will do, hoping it will improve the pigmentation?

Anyway, referring to the top few reviews and really bad reviews, perhaps they're thinking it's a rip off because everything is cheap in the US but I still don't think it's that terrible for $30 is it? I think some people may need to get off their pretentious high makeup horses. (Sorry didn't meant to offend any one) It's seriously at least 2 stars I think. And I got mine off the wholesalers on ebay :) For really cheap too, I got the like 128 colour one for like $10, and you may be wondering why I'm still rating it so low, well the MATTE colours, my god, were SO chalky and not pigmented AT ALL. EVEN with the swipe of my FINGER. They were so difficult to get out.

on 9/8/2011 12:57:00 AM

Although I think this is a decent product, I don't think I'd buy this again because I don't find myself using it as much as I thought I would.

I absolutely love the colour selection, as most people do, but it can seem a bit overwhelming. This is because there are a lot of colours that I wouldn't use very often (yellow, orange, green, etc) that I tend to forget about this palette. Another reason is because sometimes the little eyeshadow pans become unglued and can shatter all over the other colours.

Overall, I think the shadows are great, but if you are someone that likes to use the same colours all the time, I think you'd be better off buying the palette that suits you best (88 warm, 88 shimmer, etc).

I liked it, but not enough to repurchase it. Let me start out by saying that the eyeshadows DO fall out consistently, and I'd be a mess without my clear nailpolish to repair. But some of the eyeshadows (mainly the neutral ones) are very good quality and can be used on a regular basis. I personally think this is a great palette for the makeup newbie who is looking for a great way to expand their collection within a good price range. On the other hand, if you have a bigger collection (without a need for travel shadows) I would stick to the higher end products. But at the same time, I don't want to be so harsh, considering you are paying a few cents per eyeshadow.

on 5/23/2011 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I have had this palette since July 2010 and only hit pan on 3 colors. I used this palette a lot the first month I had it and rarely since. It's a good palette to have but, I have other palettes I love more. Some of the colors are a bit chalky but, still good. I find with certian colors my eyes water a bit.

I'm surprised to see such mixed reviews on this product.
Pigmentation - Many are very comparable to MAC, especially the darker and brighter shades. Those type of colors in particular tend to "stain" a little , which can be good or bad depending on your opinion.
Some colors can be a little chalky but proper blending and use of a primer can help that.
The size of the eyeshadows is about the size of a nickel or dime - plenty in my opinion, as I've never used up an entire shadow of any color or kind.
Packaging is pretty good - it's matte, somewhat thick plastic. The mirror is small and a little useless (the palette is hard to hold up and use due to its size) as are the applicators, but Coastal Scents makes great cheap brushes.
Bottom line: Unless you have an entire collection of MAC shadows or only use neutrals, pass on this. If you want great color payoff and tons of great colors without spending hundreds of dollars, get this - just be sure to use a primer or concealer underneath.

on 5/6/2011 3:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

LOVE!!!!

since i've gotten this (a couple years ago, on ebay for $20-ish), i've found that i really dont "need" to buy too many other shadows. when i'm lookin at them at the store unless its a really unique color i just think "nah, i've got only almost just like this in the 88 pallet"
the colors are VERY pigmented, and go very well together. they're really bright, but still wearable.
and the best part, IMO, is that the browns make PERFECT brow colors! i just use a wet angled brush and theres a reddish brown color that is PERFECT for matching my red hair!
and really, this thing is lasting FOREVER! Easily 1 of the best MU purchases i've ever made! and when you think that at $25, thats about 28 cents per shadow, very reasonable priced!