Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

Filtered by hair type : Other
Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

3.9

Talc, Mica, Mineral Oil, Kaolin, Titanium Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT. May contain: Mica and Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, Manganese Violet, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Chrome Oxide Greens, Chrome Hydroxide Green, FD&C Red No.40 Al Lake, FD&C Yellow No.5 Al Lake, FD&C Blue No.1 Al Lake.

on 2/5/2013 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Nice selection of colors. Some are matte and some are shimmery. All the colors you need in one palette. Some of the colors are chalky and are hard to work with, but thats just a few. I got this palette when I was a beginner with makeup. I use the dark brown next to the black on the bottom right to fill in my brows. nice pallete to have in your makeup collection. I would order again but I don't think I'll have to because they last a very long time.

I purchased the 88 palette in 2009 when all the youtube gurus raved about it. For the price, the quality was awesome and the shadows had great pigment and lasting power. HOWEVER.... I recently purchased it again (Nov. 2012) and the quality seems to have gone way down. The eyeshadows are on par with cheap drugstore makeup and barely show up. Luckily I got it on sale for $8.88 this time.
On a positive note, shipping was super fast from the Coastal Scents website. I live across the country and got it in 2 days.

I bought mine off Coastal Scents website and I am actually really pleased with their service. It took 1.5 weeks to ship to Australia.
What I think is that Coastal Scents products are over hyped. Sometimes even way over hyped. But I do admit that their products are extremely cheap, and extremely worth the money.
I am pointing out to those youtubers and bloggers who rave about this palette and saying that 'the shadows are extremely pigmented, buttery and great for makeup artists'. It's not entirely true.
First of all, the pigmentation of their shadows are inconsistent (some mattes are powdery, some are not pigmented at all, some are very pigmented, some are buttery and some are hard as rock).
Second, they're not buttery!! They feel a bit gritty when swatched, it feels a little 'cheap' (even my essence shadows feel so much softer).
Third and last, they're not exactly for makeup artists! Well, to some extent, like new makeup artists who are just starting out, yes. But I feel the quality of the shadows don't live up to makeup artists' standard (they're definitely not comparable to MAC's, i mean, even the cheap Essence brand, which is my fave).

However, there is no point in complaining, get one and see for yourself. I am getting myself a 120 palette soon but I don't think I will be purchasing off CS website, since I feel the quality of the shadows will probably be the same as the Chinese reselller ones (except it doesnt have the CS logo on it) and it's much cheaper (in terms of product, and shipping).

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

This Palette is Great! For a few years now I've been eyeing this, but I never got the chance to sit down in front of the computer to buy it hhaha. When I finally got it, I was surprised to see the palette wasn't too big. It was smaller than the size of a magazine. This is great for traveling since it's flat, lightweight, and has almost all the colors you would need for any occasion! This is a must have! It's pigments are great, and there are so many colors! I find myself not buying anymore eye shadows because all I need is in my cs palette. I highly recommend anyone getting this, and even if you don't find it as useful, 20 bucks isn't so bad. And as for amount of eyeshadow contained in this palette...there are so many colors to use I hardly find myself using just one, so I think it would be hard to run out.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this palette in the set that has all 4 palettes together and all I have to say is this product is absolutely worth every cent. Quality is great. PIgmentation is excellent. Not a lot of fall out and best of all, there is so much colors to choose from. there are infinite possiblities to all the looks you can create with palette. I definitely recommend.

on 7/31/2011 6:09:00 PM

(This is for the 88 Shimmer Palette). This palette is nice for the # of colors you get for the price. Some of the colors are very pigmented and smooth, and others are just a nasty, chunky glittery mess. The downside is that the pans are so tiny. If there is one color you really like and use often, it probably won't last very long because the pans are so darn small. Another problem I have is that the pans are so close together, and sometimes the eyeshadows crumble a bit when using them..then the colors all get into the other colors, and you end up with powder everywhere.
When I recieved mine in the mail from coastal scents, one of the eyeshadow pans had popped out of its place but didn't break. I figured, no big deal, I'll just glue it back. I've had it for maybe 6 months, I don't bang the palette around a lot or anything, but many of the pans have popped out of place.
Overall, its good especially if you are just starting to get into makeup, or if you want a lot of colors to experiment with but don't want to spend a ton. (If you are hesitant about buying it, there are a lot of big palettes like this on eBay for cheaper).

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I ordered this palette 1 year ago. I absolutely love it! They're really pigmented and this palette comes with 88 dime sized eyeshadows that are domed. The eyeshadows are satin finished matte finished and shimmery. They have a whole range of colors!! There are a lot of pigments in each pan! One pan will last you forever. For the price of 88 pigmented and high quality eyeshadows it is affordable and reasonable. The pricey part is the shipping. I got my package in about 2 weeks when I used the cheapest mailing option. The packaging is good. But the top part separated from the bottom part of my palette. But they don't fall apart. They still fit perfectly when I close the palette. When I run out or when my eyeshadows expire i will definitely repurchase this!!!

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this palette.

I hadnt changed my makeup in years. I had two very bad reactions to eye shadows in the past. The company told me they had no way of knowing if I was allergic to something in the eye shadow. When I asked if they had changed anything, they said, they change the formulas so often there would be no way of narrowing it down. Nice.. Hence my eye shadow rut for so long.

I decided it was time for a change. I looked at every eye shadow color, palette, formula you could imagine. Then I found this. I mean, for the price, I think it rocks. Most of the colors are nice, pigmented, not a lot of fallout. The lighter colors could use some help but I dont wear pastel colors that much anyway.

And BEST of all, I did not have an allergic reaction to the shadows If you just need to something to do some experimenting with this is a great palette.

So yes, not very good quality. We have to admit that. The pigment is not so dense and it blends about as well as crayolas...but if you buy this you are not expecting urban decay or nars quality.

For what it is this palette is perfect. It is a playful palette for experimenting with color and trying new looks. I played arou d with the greens and then went out and bought a few nars and ester lauder green hues.

My only issue with the packaging is that it is a little hard t open...but I am an idiot so maybe that is really a personality flaw on my part. Lol

on 11/13/2010 7:00:00 PM

I have owned the original 88 palette from Coastal Scents since summer 2009, and I purchased the Metal Mania 88 palette from Coastal Scents in summer 2010. Both are great! I love dramatic eye makeup, so I get more use out of the more vibrant original 88 palette than the Metal Mania palette. Nevertheless, the MM palette has its place in my collection :) I love Coastal Scents for making these palettes so diverse, affordable, and high quality. I feel that I can save money and skip the purchase of just about any other eyeshadow colors (with the possible exception of Urban Decay shadows), because I've already got all of the colors encompassed in my two palettes! These palettes are not just for makeup beginners, either. I have been wearing heavy eye makeup for over 5 years and still find these to be useful and fun--a real gem in my extensive makeup collection. I also have only good things to say about Coastal Scents, which has always been a professional and pleasant company to do business with. Highly recommend!