Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

Talc, Mica, Mineral Oil, Kaolin, Titanium Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT. May contain: Mica and Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, Manganese Violet, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Chrome Oxide Greens, Chrome Hydroxide Green, FD&C Red No.40 Al Lake, FD&C Yellow No.5 Al Lake, FD&C Blue No.1 Al Lake.

on 10/15/2013 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I bought this on a whim because it was something like eight dollars. Overall, it's an okay palette and it's worth eight bucks, sure. It's not as blendable or creamy as a lot of people would tell you, though. Sometimes I think people really overhype inexpensive items (like ELF products) and then when I try them my expectations are a little too high and I go "Wait, this is actually pretty meh." My experience with the palette is that it was mostly chalky and not super blendable. However, most colors have pretty decent pigmentation for a low-end priced shadow! It is nice to have this palette if only for the selection of random weird colors that I would never buy, like bright greens, that could be useful for costume makeup or some kind of theme.

The biggest pro to this palette is how cheap it is when it's on sale. It makes me sad when I look at a large collection of hit or miss drugstore makeup and thinking about how if I didn't spend money on stuff that I ended up not liking, I could have bought a few surefire higher end products with those wasted dollars. With this being so cheap for so many shadows, I'll never look at it that way.

If you think you want this, buy it only if it's on sale, and keep your expectations relatively low unless you're used to wearing drugstore eyeshadow.

Let me give you some background info first before I dive into this product.

I'm young, I am 16 , so money just doesn't grow on trees for me. Haha. I don't have a steady job yet and I'm not a professional, so you can see where the bias come.

Now to the review- I LOVE this palette, for a couple different reasons.

1. The colors - I love all these colors ; they are bright, pretty, and REALLY fun to play around. I would say this is more an amateur palette. I did stage makeup for a community theater's play of "The Little Mermaid", so it was an awesome go-to for the greens and the blues and i made some pretty blended looks. They do blend very well. The colors for me are a 10, but once again thats bias...because I don't really work with everyday looks.

2. The Pigmentation - Its pretty well pigmented, I mean its not amazing but the coloring is pretty decent, especially the dark colors. They all are awesome except some of the lighter colors I feel aren't as pigmented. I'd give the pigmentation a 7.5

3. The Price/Shipping/Overall - Is amazing lets just say that. I think I got the palette for 19 with shipping, but they gave me like some weird discount. I also received a little pot of a free sample of their mineral eyeshadow, which was a cute and awesome surprise, I love it. There was an "I <3 Makeup" bumper sticker in the box too, which is ADORABLE. The packaging was good, everything came intact and nothing was damaged or broken. I give it a 9. :-)

If you want to check out any of my work, check out my instagram page @makeupbymadz , and you can see that look I was talking about from the Little Mermaid using all costal scents colors from the palette! Be sure to follow me if you like what you see ! thanks! :-)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I ordered this palette 1 year ago. I absolutely love it! They're really pigmented and this palette comes with 88 dime sized eyeshadows that are domed. The eyeshadows are satin finished matte finished and shimmery. They have a whole range of colors!! There are a lot of pigments in each pan! One pan will last you forever. For the price of 88 pigmented and high quality eyeshadows it is affordable and reasonable. The pricey part is the shipping. I got my package in about 2 weeks when I used the cheapest mailing option. The packaging is good. But the top part separated from the bottom part of my palette. But they don't fall apart. They still fit perfectly when I close the palette. When I run out or when my eyeshadows expire i will definitely repurchase this!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

i have no idea why people buy this from coastal scents, they charge WAY too much considering it's all over eBay for $10ish, if not less. sure, i had to wait about a week or so to receive it from hong kong, but it was way, way less than CS's prices. anyways. these palettes are okay; for the price i paid, i shouldn't whine too much. some colours are just a chalky mess, some are amazing, it's pretty hit or miss. i hate the packaging, though. it smells weird & if you drop this, chances are a couple shades could shatter. i do like that there is a nice colour range which can make blending/transitioning much easier.

I love this palette!!! the color variation is amazing. And the pigmentaition - beautiful. It is soooo inexpensive, less than 50 cents and eyeshadow, and is definitally a must have for any makeup lover. i have the matte palette, and it is the best purchase i have ever made!

on 9/18/2009 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

After seeing how everyone fell in love with it, I know I have to get one. And I was really happy about it. For a person who loves colors like me, this is just right. Like everyone else, I love how they are very pigmented. The only thing that can still improve is the packaging quality (which I believe is the trade-off for its rather inexpensive price)...there are just 2 applicators (4 heads, 8 sides total) and the lock isn't well-made. Mine is half--broken since I got it. But if you don't mind that, and have your own brush set. This palette is a must for those who love bright colors!

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I can't understand why people have given this god sent palate such low ratings. It has awesome color payoff, pigmentation, and colors. They last for hours without a base! I also got a round crease brush (Italian Badger) which was pretty decent for 3 dollars. Only thing I disliked was how long it took (about 5 days; I live in NJ.) Also, the color tends to have fallout in the palette but other than that, this is a MUST have for makeup fanatics.

on 5/8/2009 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like this palette a lot. I use it a lot and love the variety of colors and textures as well as the price! The only downside is for some reason these eyeshadows seem to stain my makeup brushes a lot. I will clean my brushes vigorously after using them but they still stain more than any other eyeshadow I own.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

High quality make up, and a great price even shipping to Canada.

on 3/15/2009 7:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Had this palette for about month and I must say I do like it, I don't love, love it, but like it! I use this for everyday use and save up all my higher end brand eyeshadow for going out. Great price for 88 colors. However, some of them do tend to be very chalky, but other than that..........great color payoff!
***Update 4/15/06***
In the beginning I really liked this palette, but after having it for several months, it sucks. I've already hit the bottom of the pan on many of the colors. It doesn't last long and runs out quick because it's sooo powdery and chalky; even if you give a light tap, the fallout is extreme. Not to mention a lot of wasted product when tapping off the excess shadow. Very disappointing. I will NOT be purchasing again. Guess you really do get what you pay for....................quantity, not quality!