Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette

3.9

Talc, Mica, Mineral Oil, Kaolin, Titanium Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Lanolin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT. May contain: Mica and Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Ultramarine Blue, Manganese Violet, Ferric Ammonium Ferrocyanide, Chrome Oxide Greens, Chrome Hydroxide Green, FD&C Red No.40 Al Lake, FD&C Yellow No.5 Al Lake, FD&C Blue No.1 Al Lake.

on 8/18/2008 11:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I'm surprised no ones reviewed this on MUA yet. This is my 100th review, btw... So there are pictures of the palettes and swatches of all 88 colors at the end. This is the original palette, not the shimmer, which contains mostly mattes, but there are plenty of shimmery ones in it as well.

Anyway, this is the palette that everyone and their mother (on youtube) has and raves about. I didn't really want it at first, but since I was on coastalscents.com ordering some micas and brushes I went ahead and got it. One thing I have to mention is that their company is based in Florida and I am in Northern California. Shipping took two days (priority!) I mean, priority is supposed to take 2-3 days I know, but I've ordered things from neighboring states that ship priority that took three days, so I was pleasantly surprised.

On to the palette: after opening up my package I first took out my mica samples and was absolutely floored. The ones I ordered were so pretty and pigmented, so when I finally got to opening this it was pretty anticlimatic. lol. So these sat around for a day while I played with my pigments. Still, I brought them out later and played around with them.

When I first saw these online I thought the brightest shades were the ones I'd like best, but the neutrals are awesome. Not the first two columns though (all similar and somewhat chalky), but the last two are awesome. I'm the type of person who has to buy crazy e/s colors, only to end up using them sparingly. I usually go with neutrals and lots of black eyeliner and mascara on a day to day basis so these are fab.

I also know that you can order these on ebay and they come from a seller in Hong Kong. These are the same ones on coastal scents (check if the pictures are the same). It does not say on the package, but i believe these are made in asia (probably China since Coastal scents must import them). On ebay you can get it for about 25 USD (shipping included). On coastal scents, its about 30 USD (to California at least, 20 for the palette, 10 for the cheapest shipping option). So if you don't like your MU made in china then this is not for you.

So while the first two rows and columns aren't that great (neutral-wise - the colors are okay), the rest of the palette makes up for it. These swatches are all in natural light, on an overcast day. I used a good e/s brush to swatch them, but they have NO BASE (because that would be cheating :) and I did NOT layer any of the colors. ENJOY:

Ingredients (omg, evil parabens!! :P)

Natural light

In direct sunlight (You can see the shimmers and metallics better)

Swatched in order from palette. Remember, no base, water, ANYTHING. NC 43 skin.

And IMO, the yellow is chalky, (as are the first 2 rows and columns as you can see by how they don't even show up on my skin). So go ahead and GET chrome yellow :P

I always use a base w/ e/s because I have oily lids so as far as staying power and pigmentation go, I have no problem. These would probably crease and fade without. BTW... the palette is small (about 9x6.5 inches, about 23 cm x 16.5 cm?). The pots are small too... dime size or smaller.

I'm glad I got this because now i can play around with a bunch of colors. For the most part, what you see in the pan is what you get on skin. Its sooo cheap too. I wouldn't say that you NEED this, its just nice to have around. Will not repurchase. continued >>

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This really reminded me of those cheap department store makeup, the ones you buy at like JcPenny. The ColorWorkShop or whatever you call it.

I was really excited at first but then I was like uhm it's not that great actually! The only way the colors will really show up is if you put vasline on as a base. Seriously!

There were like a few like the purple ones that came out really soft and pigmented, but the rest were like eh...

I don't know what all the girls are raving about so much because it's not that great. The wet n' wild palette beats this anyday.

OH AND BTW! i ended up tossing mine away.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have no idea why it's getting so many bad reviews here, when there are more than 100 5 star reviews on Coastalscents.com but here's mine: I think this pallet is SUPER AWESOME! Its very well pigmented, even without a base and for the price, come on! Who wouldn't get this? :) You can experiment with 88 eyeshadows and with that many, its BOUND to last a pretty long time before you run out and get another one! There's also both Matte and Shimmery colors so you can try out which one you like better, but for me, I like the Shimmery colors! LOLz I HIGHLY recommend this pallet for everyone!!!! :)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought both the original (21.95) and ultra shimmer (24.95) palettes. I bought these after seeing countless people with them all over youtube. For $50 you get 176 colors, i don't think you can go wrong there. It's a really great palette for those starting out who are afraid to spend a lot of money on a ton of colors. It's a really good staple for any collection. Personally, i have heaps of MAC eye shadows but i hate spending the money on bright colors because i don't use them that often. This is why these palettes were great for me. While these shadows are about a third of the size of MAC shadows, you're still getting quite a bit for your money. it's like spending about 75 for a MAC shadow.

The original palette contains mostly matte and satin finished colors. it does have a few shimmers too but not overly shimmery. The pigmentation of the shadows i found to be great. The only problem i saw with them is that you HAVE TO USE A CREAMY BASE! These shadows are pretty powdery so they create a ton of fall out if you don't use a base. The cream of the base gives a sticky canvas to the eye shadow so it doesn't create as much fallout. I personally have been using MAC Paints and NYX jumbo shadow pencil in milk and cottage cheese. They both work great. So far there hasn't been any creasing or fading and i've worn this palette for three days now.

The ultra shimmer palette is by far my favorite of the two. The shadows are a little more powdery than the original, but not much. The colors go on very smooth, rich and shimmery. There is probably every color you can imagine there and you can create countless looks with it. My one disappointment is that there really isn't a vibrant orange in the palette but i have plenty of orange mac shadows.

With both of these palettes they come in a black glossy container. Unfortunately because it's glossy, it collects a lot of fingerprints so i had to take off a lippie for that.

on 9/21/2008 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Youtube makes it seem like everyone on Earth owns this so I'm surprised it's not reviewed more here!

Well I got it for $21.95, shipping was within the week and I'm overall very very happy.

I too drool over MAC shadows I can't afford and am currently saving up for some nice deep jewel tone colors and neutrals...but what about those crazy colors I occasionally want one brush stroke of?! Answer: 88 color palette of course!

The colors are nicely pigmented and really pretty! It's still a cheap looking palette, I probably would have never bought it on looks unless I saw so many fans raving about it on youtube. Also it's nice to have colors like hot pink and neon green on hand if iI ever need them...now I don't feel like I'm missing out on MAC shadows either.
If this is an insufficient review just search for the palette on youtube! You'll find everything u need to know :)
Shipping cost me around 10 dollars...haha half the price of the palette but stilll worth it. It arrived in one piece :)

Like everyone else I've heard about this product and seen the hype on youtube (I need to learn how to stay off that website lol) but it had me intrigued so I checked out the site

I purchased the 88 Shimmer palette since I needed some shimmery eye shadows and a duo crease brush

The shipping fees are pretty pricey, I chose USPS Priority Mail as my shipping method, It's sent from Florida I believe and I live in California and it took about 4 days (I ordered it on Saturday night) but I'm sure if I had ordered it a day before or something it would have gotten to me a lot sooner
but it was still pretty quick =] so that was a plus.

When I received the product I was super stoked, to my SLIGHT disappointment I found out that the palette was a lot smaller than what I expected it to be, but non the less I tried out some colors on my fingers and streaked them on my hand to see how the pigments were, it was pretty impressive...I'm a huge MAC head so no eye shadows are compared to them but these...for 21 bucks...not too shabby
I've seen a lot worse and for the price you can't beat it

The duo crease brush was a lot smaller than expected as well and its a bit dense for my taste but I still put it to good use so its alright I suppose...for 3 bucks I mean come on what do you expect haha

But over all I'm pretty happy with my purchase and yes I wouldn't mind buying more palettes from Coastal Scents.
(I'm going to be getting their 28 Neutral Palette soon before they sell out! hehe)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I am actually surprised to see Coastal Scents 88 eyeshadow palette here!

There is a wide array of colors, the pigmentation is great (I am assuming that you use a base), and the price can't be beat.

These are adorable and are great for their vivid color selection, also, if you like to experiment with colors and don't want to spend a lot this is perfect for you!

The size of the shadows are around the size of a dime. It is still a bargain though especially since you don't need to pack on a whole lot of color. I already know I will hit the pan on several of these shades. If you are in doubt at all check out the reviews on you tube and see for yourself.

Pros: Affordable, great colors, vivid pigmentation, mirrored palette and nice texture.

Cons: Shipping is fast but man, the wait is unbearable!!!!

All in all, I was so excited to get mine and wasn't let down at all! I am beginning to think I need to order a back up just in case!

on 10/2/2008 10:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

i love this eyeshadow palette!! i use UDPP as a base and always have good color payoff and staying power with these shadows. the black is nice and matte - i've used it as a liner (like how some people use MAC's carbon). the bright colors show up really well on me - i'm asian with tan skin. the shadow pans are kinda small (about the size of a dime) but there's still plenty in each pan for multiple uses. i really like the wide range of colors and use this palette to match my makeup to my going out outfits on the weekends - there's always a shadow that will match. :) i bought my palette for about $20 and find this product an excellent value.

on 10/5/2008 9:40:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I got this palette four days ago and I must say that I love it! I watch DRBrooklyn730's makeup tutorials on youtube and she has all these colors and palettes from MAC and MUFE. I'm a beginner and am not willing to spend a lot on eyeshadows so I got this palette. When I got this in the mail I tried some looks that DRBrooklyn730 had done and all the colors were represented. I really like this product. I also want to point ou that I use UDPP for my base and that there are colors that fade, so I cannot see myself running out of colors and having to replace this anytime soon. Try it, ladies! Only $30 with shipping for 88 different colors.

on 10/5/2008 10:03:00 AM

I've heard rave reviews about this palette and it was really hard to believe that this 20 something dollar palette could live up to all the hype. I finally gave in and realized this was the best 20 dollars I've ever spent in my life. This coming from a total Mac Addict, which should say A LOT. There are so many pretty colors and they're so highly pigmented..I would have paid more than what they sell it for because it really is quality shadows that you are getting!

I also recommend getting the ultra shimmer 88 shadow just so you have the shimmery colors as well. I'm waiting for the natural palette to be back in stock. I heard the brushes are pretty good too. The great thing about the site is that each product is reviewed so you get an idea of what you're getting... go for it!